tony357

prepping for hurricane..

Good thing I bought a snowblower from Lowes today before they ran out! Fortunately when I got there, there were plenty left , and even on clearance sale. Weird right?

Yeah man, and I figured they'd be out of Air conditioners but there was ample stock and on sale. Who'da thunkit.

A little late to order his now, but a friend sent me this a while back. It would be perfect for a situation like this:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/CAMP205-1.html

If you order in the next 2.5 hours (and pay a little extra of course), you can get it tomorrow from Amazon :icon_mrgreen:

http://www.amazon.com/waterBOB-Emergency-Drinking-Water-Storage/dp/B001AXLUX2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314301226&sr=8-1

So, with the whole tap water thing, how long can you safetly store tap water? I'm going to fill up a bunch of containers this evening, but how long till I need to consider that water unsuitable to drink? Just wondering what's a proper timeline for dumping it out & refilling.

Great it's going to wash into my backyard.

I lived in e-town (thats elizabeth for all you fine folks) and remember how it would easily flood after some rain. I cannot begin to imagine how bad it will be if it takes a direct hit.

:takeexample:

So, with the whole tap water thing, how long can you safetly store tap water? I'm going to fill up a bunch of containers this evening, but how long till I need to consider that water unsuitable to drink? Just wondering what's a proper timeline for dumping it out & refilling.

Everything you need is here: My link

I've been around a long time, and I've seen a few hurricanes blow through. From my experiences, I've learned a few things. For one, the media love to sensationalize events like hurricanes, blizzards, heat waves, on and on. For another, I have never seen a hurricane have much effect on inland communities. Oh, if I were at the shore I would be concerned, but up here in Wayne, I'm guessing we will experience heavy rains and strong winds, nothing to require boarding up our windows. We may well have some local flooding, but we get that at least once a year, and often two or three times in a year.

Having said all that, I truly enjoy these discussions of preparedness. I've got some food and water stashed, plenty of propane and firewood, and lots of ammo. I believe having made such preparations gives one peace of mind. Furthermore, it avoids having to run down to Loew's or Home Depot to fight the crowds for supplies. I do not have a back-up generator, so if my power goes down I will face the hardship of not being able to visit with my friends on NJGF. Other than that, I should be OK. :)

YAY! Maybe newark will be washed away once and for all, and we will have our state back. :girlwerewolf:

I just checked the 5 pm forecast, now they've moved the track further west, with the eye of the storm passing directly THROUGH BAYONNE (if you zoom the map far enough, the "line" is like 50 feet from the street I live on :icon_cry:) I'm thinking we're just gonna pack up the van and start driving west and get as far away as possible ... (I live right near the river, so I know we're gonna get major flooding if this thing goes the way they say).

I just checked the 5 pm forecast, now they've moved the track further west, with the eye of the storm passing directly THROUGH BAYONNE (if you zoom the map far enough, the "line" is like 50 feet from the street I live on :icon_cry:) I'm thinking we're just gonna pack up the van and start driving west and get as far away as possible ... (I live right near the river, so I know we're gonna get major flooding if this thing goes the way they say).

Mike, we gotta team up! Oh wait, your steel CZ guns will rust and my Px4 is plastic so I'm okay!

Oops, forgot to mention my preparedness story. (It's slightly off-topic, but doesn't warrant another thread.)

A couple of Saturdays ago, I woke up to find that I had no running water. I immediately thought of the opening sequence on Best Defense that shows a spigot with water barely dripping out, and said to myself, "Uh oh, it's starting! Time to go off the grid. Sure wish I had prepared a little more." Then I went out to put out my garbage and saw trucks on my street. One of the workmen told me of a water main break, and advised that they hoped to have the water back on in a few hours.

I had a couple of cups of coffee (tank of filtered water) and went out for a morning run. Coincidentally, I was heading out for an all-day NRA Basic Pistol class, so when I came back, I had no choice but to sponge off with some bottled water (not refrigerated, luckily), and off I went. It's good to be prepared for emergencies! :sarcastichand:

I'm well prepared but unfortunately I live in the armpit of NJ Perth Amboy. I'm thinking were gonna be evacuated . I can transport my mini arsenal with out any problems ? Right? I know follow the rules unloaded and ammo separate from fire arm but besides that. Anything else ? And I agree I got a px4 to and a m&p 15 22 almost all plastic baby...

The unfortunate part is a lot of the flooding is due to stupid people. For instance the dam on hamburg turnpike. They know every spring that there will be flooding. Yet they do not open the gates and let the water down in that huge lake to then allow the water run off to run into the lake and refill it. Instead they leave the lake at capacity so this way as soon as we have rain, the lake starts to flood. Then they go ZOMG'S we can't flood out oakland, so lets open the gates and flood all of pompton lakes, pequannock, pompton plains, and all of route 23 in the wayne/pequannock area and are you ready for the reason MONEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY. That's right gentlemen the reason they don't use common sense is money because that lake is in fact a reservoir and they get paid for every drop of water that goes over that dam. So if they let the lake down in preparation they view it as throwing away money.

Isn't this country grand?

Makes me sick

Dont you just love engineers...

if their is no larva swimming in it should be good..boiling it would not hurt..

All gas containers I have have Stabil in them, I do that as soon as I get home from the gas station, I then use that for whatever I use it in, also I use it for my 2-stroke mix also.

Also for vehicles or engines that don't see a lot of use, either for winter storage, or you just don't use them for a while I also run the engine for a while to make sure the gas in the carb and bowl have gas with the Stabil in it. While the gas we have today isn't like it was years ago but you still can have problems.

I would say if it doesn't start with fresh gas right away, pull the bowl and clean as much as you can and try that, if thats a no go, you might need to pull the carb and do a little more detailed job on it.

Hopefully just some fresh gas will get you running.

Harry.

Got the generator running.

Air filter was soaking wet, seemed like water/gas mix

Took off the carb, dropped the bowl, cleaned everything out, drained all the bad gas, fashioned a new air filter out of some foam, put it all together and brrrrooom. It's running now.

I even changed the oil, it was looking sorta not right.

I'm going to let it run for an hour or so to really warm up.

I really need to look into generators when all of this passes. It's one area of my preps that is severely lacking.

Ditto. I picked up a small inverter today - with three cars and an extra deep cycle battery that's constantly on a battery tender I've got enough battery capacity for a bit.

ha

ha ha

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

Oh son - I've been following the weather since before (censored for my own sanity). I "lived" through Gloria. I "lived" through a tornado that touched down in my town and ripped roofs and walls off of houses a block or so from mine.

Let me say this to you:

WHEN IT'S YOUR TIME TO GO, IT'S YOUR TIME TO GO!

NJ just has a tendency to blow EVERYTHING out of proportion. For instance ZOMG IF WE ALLOW CCW THEY'RE GONNA BE BLOOD FLOWING IN THE STREETS. ZOMG THEY'RES GONNA BE 10 FT OF SNOW ON THE GROUND WE NEED BREAD AND EGGS AND MILK AND TOILET PAPER AND OH YEAH SNOW SHOVELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not even sure how to respond to this... So your telling me people should ignore this "blown out of proportion" state of emergency. Many towns in the area are notorious for flooding, should they just stay in there houses because NJ officials always blow everything out of proportion? is it smart when your house floods every year, and when the Nation weather authorities say biggest hurricane in decades will hit your area hard and you decided NJ blows everything out of proportion ill just stay cause it wont be that bad, when in fact small storms have flooded these areas let alone a massive hurricane. The problem is, towns have already been evacuated this year due to flooding from small storms, what exactly do you think will happen again, lets take a little logic here and say that it will probably be worse. Now, im not saying go out and clear the shelves, but use your head and understand where you live.. The worse i have to worry about is power going out and trees falling, but just a town over they have to deal with 8+ feet of water at there door steps. people back yards run against the ramapo river, which floods out 202 every year and is literally eating away at peoples yards...

I mean yeah i guess when its your time to go that's it, but why hang around when you get the warning... this aint no tornado 4min warning here.... its a hurrican that will be scaling 80% of the entire east coast.

FEMA already started moving resources into NJ... now let be realistic again they are just about the only ones who underestimate everything.

I have a 750 watt inverter that I bought years ago. I use it on my deep cycle battery to power the fans on my fireplace insert(My primary heat source) through short outages. The battery also runs the clay thrower so it gets other use during the year.

I can also run lights and other low amp items on the battery. The genset can run the fridge and some other stuff without breaking a sweat so my stuff freezer stuff doesn't go bad.

For the winter months, the battery plus the propane tank top Mr Heater http://www.gasheaterstore.com/Mr-Heater-MH12T-8000--14000-Btu-Propane-Single-Tank-Top-Propane-Heater_p_30.html I can weather significant power outages.

It's summer. If you survive the 12-hour hurricane, and you don't flood, you'll live. Loss of power for 12 hours or even a week won't kill you. You won't be cut off from civilization. Just get in your car and leave if it takes too long.

If you might get flooded, or cut off by washed out bridges, then that's a different story. GTFO!!! Please!!! Run! Run to NY!

I'm not even sure how to respond to this... So your telling me people should ignore this "blown out of proportion" state of emergency. Many towns in the area are notorious for flooding, should they just stay in there houses because NJ officials always blow everything out of proportion? is it smart when your house floods every year, and when the Nation weather authorities say biggest hurricane in decades will hit your area hard and you decided NJ blows everything out of proportion ill just stay cause it wont be that bad, when in fact small storms have flooded these areas let alone a massive hurricane. The problem is, towns have already been evacuated this year due to flooding from small storms, what exactly do you think will happen again, lets take a little logic here and say that it will probably be worse. Now, im not saying go out and clear the shelves, but use your head and understand where you live.. The worse i have to worry about is power going out and trees falling, but just a town over they have to deal with 8+ feet of water at there door steps. people back yards run against the ramapo river, which floods out 202 every year and is literally eating away at peoples yards...

I mean yeah i guess when its your time to go that's it, but why hang around when you get the warning... this aint no tornado 4min warning here.... its a hurrican that will be scaling 80% of the entire east coast.

FEMA already started moving resources into NJ... now let be realistic again they are just about the only ones who underestimate everything.

You also need to realized that the flooding this year was in the spring time when the ground was completely saturated which adds a whole different level of problems than what we have right now. Currently the ground is slightly saturated but most of it is going to act as a sponge. It's going to create a lot of rain to start causing flooding unlike in the spring time where a little bit of rain will cause flooding.

Now if it rains like it did a few months ago when we had that severe flash flooding thats a completely different story. But I for one don't see us having flash flooding nor do I think we are going to get the 12 inches of rain they are predicting. But I'm not a weatherman and I've definitely been wrong before.

It'll come down to where you live. My area has seen, what seems, like non-stop raining, and I can vouch that the ground is pretty saturated (at least last when I went out an hour ago). Plus, my area is super prone to flash floods-- even the storm that passed through this morning made a [small] impact. So, it really comes down to the specific area.

I'm still with Dan though. There's no reason to run around like a crazy person-- the sky isn't falling. And if the worst comes, then the worst comes-- nothing or nobody can save anybody from that... which is what Dan's point was to began with I believe. If people weren't so self-absorbed, maybe there wouldn't be so much madness-- but that's a different argument for a different day.