tony357

prepping for hurricane..

It'll come down to where you live. My area has seen, what seems, like non-stop raining, and I can vouch that the ground is pretty saturated (at least last when I went out an hour ago). Plus, my area is super prone to flash floods-- even the storm that passed through this morning made a [small] impact. So, it really comes down to the specific area.

I'm still with Dan though. There's no reason to run around like a crazy person-- the sky isn't falling. And if the worst comes, then the worst comes-- nothing or nobody can save anybody from that... which is what Dan's point was to began with I believe. If people weren't so self-absorbed, maybe there wouldn't be so much madness-- but that's a different argument for a different day.

This is basically what i was getting at. However, if your area is prone to flooding it's probably a good idea to take some precautions. The ground is semi-saturated around me, its been raining on and off all week, and its down pouring as we speak. My biggest fear and probably only one at this point are falling trees. This is a one day storm, people wont be stuck in there houses unless they are surrounded by water, besides i know and work at where the local food warehouse is :icon_mrgreen: people should be prepping the house for disaster not stocking up on food and water. I already put sandbags around the cellar windows.

Well, the 11 PM forecast track is now way east of the 5 PM one. It now shows Irene coming ashore at Rockaway Beach in Queens. Let's hope this thing keeps moving east... We'll have to see what the forecast track is at 5 AM tomorrow morning.

I am doing absolutely nothing to prepare except my normal food shopping Sat am.

Nor am I worried, BUT, I will have mags for each gun loaded just in case ;)

I am a little confused at why everyone is loading their guns? What do you think you will have to shoot at? Do you all live in such bad neighborhoods that you think someone is going to break into your homes?

This is not the first hurricane to hit New Jersey (66 by my count since we moved here in '58)? I have lived here practically all my life and there have been some real strong ones, albeit most have not been too serious. When I was a kid we rode one out on second Avenue in Manasquan (Donna, 1960) and I have been on my boat for Bob ('91)and Hugo ('89). After Bob my wife said we would never do that again!

If you order in the next 2.5 hours (and pay a little extra of course), you can get it tomorrow from Amazon :icon_mrgreen:

http://www.amazon.com/waterBOB-Emergency-Drinking-Water-Storage/dp/B001AXLUX2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314301226&sr=8-1

Crap, I live in Toms River! We don't drink the water here.

I am a little confused at why everyone is loading their guns? What do you think you will have to shoot at? Do you all live in such bad neighborhoods that you think someone is going to break into your homes?

I doubt anyone actually expects that they will need to shoot a lot of people, or that anyone wants to do anything of the sort. It's a gun website. We love ANY excuse to load all of our magazines and handle our firearms :vinsent::hunter:

• Like 2

inland... second story structure... not worried about flooding obviously...

have more fresh water and non perishable supplies than I need...

guns.... ammo.. body armor.. you know all the norm..

my ONLY concern is the sliding glass door I am looking at while I am typing this to you... any suggestions? it is a rental property?

One thing i have not seen mentioned was to get all you outdoor furniture and other things outside your home inside or tied down. Not only can they cause damage to you home but also your neighbors home.

Trash can's are another thing that isn't always nice to bring in but getting them in your garage for a day or 2 and then air it out if they were dirty and stinky and you will be good.

Best of luck to all of us getting through this with no damage or worse.

Harry

I heard on the radio to turn your fridge up to the max coldness...... in case the power goes out your food will keep for a little longer.

I have about 10 gallons of water in the freezer frozen into blocks off ice..

when my electric goes out my fridge will basically turn into an old school "ice box" I will take a couple gallon blocks of ice put them in the fridge to cool everything..

and as the ice melts I am left with clean drinking water..

hopefully if needed this works as planned..

• Like 1

my ONLY concern is the sliding glass door I am looking at while I am typing this to you... any suggestions? it is a rental property?

Unless you put a board over it, if something flies at it with some force, it's coming down. The masking tape X only helps hold the shards together if it shatters. If I were you, I would just get some plastic sheeting 4mil or thicker and a roll of duct tape. In the unlikely event that a door or window goes, you can make an impromptu repair for the duration.

I heard on the radio to turn your fridge up to the max coldness...... in case the power goes out your food will keep for a little longer.

I keep mine at 33 - 34 and the freezer at -7, I like my beer cold. lol

Also all the water bottles everyone is buying or filling put in the frig also. You really should put this stuff in there now if it isn't already being some things can take up to 24 hours to cool to the core, just look at the refrigerator mini kegs, they say to let them cool for 24 hours. That's so if you lose power these items will help retain the cold.

Harry

Here's the list I jotted down yesterday.

More water....Check. Filled the jugs with tap, bought 1 gallon.

some food that we can cook exclusively on the gas stove. Check.

fix generator - Fixed

buy some good gas - 10 gallons

buy some 2 stroke oil for Chainsaw. - Done

buy some stabil - Done

buy coleman lantern mantles - Found 2 sets.

buy a couple more candles - Found an unopened box.

Buy another roll of 4 mil sheeting in case a window gets broken. - Found a decent roll in the shed.

snack food. A must in any end of the world storm. - Triscuits, Doritos and Cheetos.

I have tons of batteries and my crank radio

Also, just because, I always turn my Wheelbarrow and garden cart to catch rain water. Between the two, it's easily 50 gallons of water that can be used to flush the toilet.

A couple 5 gallon buckets get filled too.

Of course, all this prep and it'll be a sun shiny day as the storm makes an unprecedented shift to the right :sarcastichand:

I doubt anyone actually expects that they will need to shoot a lot of people, or that anyone wants to do anything of the sort. It's a gun website. We love ANY excuse to load all of our magazines and handle our firearms :vinsent::hunter:

This will be my new sig

• Like 1

well as is comes down to it, I merely bought tthings we use every week. A case of gatorade and a case of poland spring (kristen uses it for her daily commutes). Some dog treats for the pooch and some wine. Everything else I have handled. Gonna finish the transfer switch, fire the generator etc. today.

I always have a gun loaded, but expect nothing like that to happen near me.

I am also not too concern with trees as I cut them all down.

"Zell959, on 26 August 2011 - 07:34 AM, said:

I doubt anyone actually expects that they will need to shoot a lot of people, or that anyone wants to do anything of the sort. It's a gun website. We love ANY excuse to load all of our magazines and handle our firearms"

Now that makes sense, Thanks!

This is not the first hurricane to hit New Jersey (66 by my count since we moved here in '58)? I have lived here practically all my life and there have been some real strong ones, albeit most have not been too serious. When I was a kid we rode one out on second Avenue in Manasquan (Donna, 1960) and I have been on my boat for Bob ('91)and Hugo ('89). After Bob my wife said we would never do that again!

I was joking ;0

Keansburg under evac--My link

Better load up if yer staying behind there (KpdPipes!) or get ready for the Keansburger Rampage thru Holmdel & MT :)

Methinky KPD will be on the street throughout the duration of the storm. Stay safe!