tblant

Mossberg 590A1

I am considering the purchase of a Mossberg 590A1 (I do not consider myself experienced with firearms and I really like where the safety is despite my desire to add a pistol grip). I have never fired a long gun. I have two basic questions:

1) I like the ghost ring sights (mainly just for fun at a range shooting at 70+ yards). Do these sights interfere with the 590 being used in a home defense situation? After reading numerous internet posts I am convinced you have to aim a shotgun, but I wonder if the perfect sight picture with ghost ring sights might not be practical in a 20 foot defense scenario.

2) I would like to add a Knoxx recoil reducing stock, but I heard you have to remove the stock everytime you take the trigger mechanism out. Is this true? I read one post claiming this to be the case and could not confirm it elsewhere on the internet.

Thank you,

Joe

You do not aim a shotgun, you point a shotgun. Perhaps you are confusing aiming with off the hip blind firing allowing the mythical "cone" of lead to seek out targets? You still dont take deliberate aim though, you point it (off the shoulder, both eyes open...fast)

Ghost rings are fine. The rear ring is just that, a ghost. You barely see it. Still shoot both eyes open with it.

Cant help you with 2.)

You do not aim a shotgun, you point a shotgun. Perhaps you are confusing aiming with off the hip blind firing allowing the mythical "cone" of lead to seek out targets? You still dont take deliberate aim though, you point it (off the shoulder, both eyes open...fast)

Ghost rings are fine. The rear ring is just that, a ghost. You barely see it. Still shoot both eyes open with it.

Cant help you with 2.)

Okay, thank you. I was confusing aiming with hip shooting. Point shooting sounds more practical with a shotgun at close range. thx

I have the Knox NRS (non-recoil reducing stock) on my mossberg 835. You will need to remove the stock if you want to remove the trigger assembly. Part of the stock right behind the trigger housing will block the assembly if you pull it out.

However, when cleaning my shotgun, I never found the need to remove the trigger assembly.

I have the Knox NRS (non-recoil reducing stock) on my mossberg 835. You will need to remove the stock if you want to remove the trigger assembly. Part of the stock right behind the trigger housing will block the assembly if you pull it out.

However, when cleaning my shotgun, I never found the need to remove the trigger assembly.

Great, thank you. A co-worker told me it is not necessary to clean the trigger assembly everytime I go to the range either. Assuming I fire it 6-10 times a year then removing it once a year is no big deal.

Thank you guys. I appreciate it.

How do you like the knoxx ??

How do you like the knoxx ??

mine's the nrs version. I got it for the adjustable LOP. It's well made and solid. BTW, the forend that comes with the pack will not go in easily (or will not fit at all on mossbergs). I had to order my black synthetic forend from Mossberg. Another forum member, PX4storm had issues as well.

What are some of the significant differences, if any, between the 590A1 and the 500 Persuader/Cruiser (#50577) that looks like this: http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/NEW/50577.jpg

I have the latter, so I was wondering how they differ.

What are some of the significant differences, if any, between the 590A1 and the 500 Persuader/Cruiser (#50577) that looks like this: http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/NEW/50577.jpg

I have the latter, so I was wondering how they differ.

Some of the differences between the 590A1 and 590 are below. I think they hold true for a 500 comparison, but I am a novice. Hopefully, this will jump start others to comment and or point out any inaccuracies I post.

The 590A1 meets military specs. It has a thicker/heavier barrel. It has a metal trigger guard and safetyas opposed to plastic on 590.

I took an armorer's course on the 590A1 a few years ago, but the details are fading. I do remember that (other than what's been said so far) the magazine tube is removeable/replaceable and it has a different threaded nut (not sure what to call it) that holds the barrel to the mag tube. It's also parkerized instead of blued. I have a 6-shot (obviously, NJ) 590A1 w/ Ghost Ring and SpeedFeed stock. I got it mainly because of the armorer's course discount since I already had 3 shotguns more suited for trap/skeet.

Oh....well the guy at the shop I ordered it through said the limit was 6 so we ordered them with 6. Oh well, no big deal.

"the guy" said a limit on pumps is 6? Where is this shop?

And a stock 590A1 (either a 5+1 or 8+1) is about the best you can do for a HD shotgun. Forget the adjustable or foldable stock stuff, it's not needed.

"the guy" said a limit on pumps is 6? Where is this shop?

And a stock 590A1 (either a 5+1 or 8+1) is about the best you can do for a HD shotgun. Forget the adjustable or foldable stock stuff, it's not needed.

It was Hackettstown Guns & Ammo, I forget the guy's name, but he's the one that owns the gun counter part of the shop, and I wasn't sure of the law at the time, so we asked. He said 6, we said ok. Maybe he thought it was a semi-auto (he was only acting as an FFL, not placing the order for us, so he probably didn't really know what we were actually ordering). Either way, 6 vs 9 shot really doesn't make a difference to me, I was really only buying it because of the price.

Get a Wal Mart Mossberg 500 on sale for $197. Order a Speedfeed birdshead grip for a Remington 870 and file out the inside of the grip so that it will bolt onto the Mossberg. Stuff it with some cheap, unbuffered 00 buck and be done with it.

Seriously. Let's be realistic here. You're not a SWAT commando. And if you ever do need to use this thing, it's going to be in the dark and the target is going to be no more than maybe 10-20 feet away. You aren't going to shoulder it anyway. Sorry. You just want something that points easy, weighs little, is simple, and goes BOOM.

post-3553-0-02698800-1314754576_thumb.jpg

Get a Wal Mart Mossberg 500 on sale for $197. Order a Speedfeed birdshead grip for a Remington 870 and file out the inside of the grip so that it will bolt onto the Mossberg. Stuff it with some cheap, unbuffered 00 buck and be done with it.

Seriously. Let's be realistic here. You're not a SWAT commando. And if you ever do need to use this thing, it's going to be in the dark and the target is going to be no more than maybe 10-20 feet away. You aren't going to shoulder it anyway. Sorry. You just want something that points easy, weighs little, is simple, and goes BOOM.

post-3553-0-02698800-1314754576_thumb.jpg

But I want to be a SWAT commando, or at least dress like one LOL. Seriously, I think you are right in the manner how this weapon will be employed in most situations. But these are strange times. We have financial meltdowns with high unemployment, earthquakes, worst storm in 100 years with record flooding and who knows what else next week will bring. I like having the option of reaching out and touching someone if it ever came to that, even if it is not even a 1% chance. Also, I look forward going to the range and being challenged (for me) at shooting slugs at 50+ yards. When you hear pistol grip knoxx stock you think tactical. When I hear it I think less recoil for a day of shooting slugs and a more natural shooting position for my hand. I like the feel much better, perhaps because I have only shot handguns. At the end of the day we all dance to a different drum beat and it sounds like you found the right rythm for you with that Mossberg / Remington combination.

You're better off learning to shoulder the weapon properly to handle the recoil than adding some silly knoxx stock to it. Slap a rubber butt-pad on there and call it a day.

But I could shoulder it properly with the Knoxx. Why is the Knoxx silly? Keep in mind I want a pistol grip and I realize there are other stocks than Knoxx that offer the pistol grip, but if it reduces recoil why would I pass it up? I feel comfortable that whatever stock it is that I will be aggressive with it in terms of stance and holding it flush to the shoulder, but if the Knoxx works then bonus. I read a lot of good reviews about it and only a few bad ones. I welcome any negative comments so I get it right in the end rather than me trying to be right. Thanks.

Unless you are a woman, child, elderly, or injured/disabled, you should learn to handle the recoil from a shotgun, rather than seek to tame it with special stocks. If you are a grown man in reasonable health, it is nothing you can't handle.

I hear you loud and clear. I think I can manage the recoil, but I know that I want a pistol grip for certain. I have held shotguns at Meltzer's and Ramsey with the traditional stock and it is awkward for me. I have a brother-in-law in NY and have held his shotty with a pistol grip and it works for me. So if I am going to get a pistol grip and for a few bucks more I can get a recoil reducing one then it seems like a no brainer to me. I like your setup with the pistol grip but I also want to shoot slugs at 50+ yards.

Thanks again on your suggestions. I will buy the shotgun and try shooting it with the traditional stock. If I am accurate I will probably leave it for a few more range sessions to see if I get comfortable with the grip. If so and the recoil is fine then I have my answer. Thanks again.

I have a 590A1 that came with a speedfeed stock. It felt like I was holding a brick, the length of pull was a mile long, and it wasn't really natural for me. I bought the Knoxx NRS model because recoil wasn't much of an issue unless shooting heavier 3" loads. 00 3" beat the crap out of me but the 2 3/4" slugs and buck were no issue at all, and I'm not that big of a guy. I like the Knoxx stock and it feels more natural to me. The adjustability is nice when going shooting with smaller or larger framed people. Depending on where you are you'd be more than welcome to try mine out sometime. Good luck with your decision but I must say the 590A1 is a pretty bad @$$ gun...the thing is just beefy (in a good way) and having 8+1 capability is pretty sweet too. It always turns a head or two at the range as well. For some reason i can't upload the picture but here's a LINK to another forum where I posted the pics.

Unless you are a woman, child, elderly, or injured/disabled, you should learn to handle the recoil from a shotgun, rather than seek to tame it with special stocks. If you are a grown man in reasonable health, it is nothing you can't handle.

I can handle a bunch of things. I dont need power steering and I dont need air conditioning either.

But I enjoy them because it makes life more comfortable. Same with the recoil suppressor I dont need it but it makes shooting more enjoyable for me.

• Like 2

The differences between the 590/590A1 physically speaking are that the A1 has a heavier (bull) barrel and the trigger housing is made of metal vs plastic. The ghost ring sights are optional for either I think... Now vs the 500, the 590/A1 has a ring on the barrel that slides over the ammo tube and is held with a threaded cap. (that the bayonet can slide onto if you have that option) the 500 has a nut/knob attatched to the barrel that screws onto the end of the ammo tube.

I'm 99% sure thats accurate :-)

If you are going to use it for self defense and you are worried about recoil, I suggest you find yourself a used Mossberg 500 or Ithaca 20 gauge shotgun. A Remington 870 would work as well. The Mossberg is nice with the tang safety, especially for someone that is left-handed. The Ithaca is nice for lefties, too, because it ejects the shells from the bottom. For defense, get some boxes of Remington #3 (2 3/4 inch), or if your shotgun can accept it, get Winchester XX Magnum #3 or Federal Classic #2 buckshot.

If you get a used one, it may have a plug in it for hunting. For defense, remove it so that you have more round capacity.