jermz1987

Dead Island

Seems pretty fun so far. This is DEFINITELY the first game of its kind, so I think I'll pick up a copy soon.

DI is definitely a fun game, though I wouldn't say it is unique. General mechanics are similar to any western RPG, though DI definitely falls under the new "action RPG" genre, like the similar Borderlands. Combat feels like a mix between Borderlands, Dead Rising, and the Left 4 Dead series. The way the game environment works, and how you interact with said environment, reminds me of Far Cry 2, and the co-op is very similar to the system that Microsoft used for Fable 2 and Fable 3 (though the scaling of levels with more party members is practically identical to Borderlands).

What is remotely unique to me is the combination of the HUD (head's up display)-- or lack thereof-- with the game play style. For the most part, you feel isolated and like any ordinary human. It gives it a raw and yet exhilarating feeling when dealing with a lot of situations. So, to me, still an exciting and fun game even if most every aspect of the game was ripped off of some other game. Hopefully things will improve for Dead Island 2 (if it is greenlighted).

I was looking forward to this (xbox 360) but I have been watching a lot of game play on youtube and it looks so repetitive. It looks like one of those games that you play when you get bored played your favorite couple games. I will wait when the price goes down 50% then check it out.

My friend and I beat it once, then went back through the campaign again with the same characters. That was a couple months ago. I don't have much time to play video games anymore, but we might try to go through the campaign a third time. Definitely worth it.