emptyshell

Recommend a Great Folding Knife

I have two Strider ARs, one a standard hollow ground clip point and the other a TAD Edition with a sabre grind and spear point. if I'm looking for something a little lighter and flatter due to dress, I'll grab my waved Emerson Commander BTS. I also have a handful of HAKs including a Strider, that supplement...

Another vote for Emersons. My EDC is usually a CQC7, MiniCommander or CQC-10.

Spyderco also makes some great knives that won't break the bank. The waved Delica and Endura models are a great value for what they are. Not quite as beefy as some of the bigger Spydercos like the Military and ParaMilitary, but still very good knives.

Someone already mentioned the Spyderco Tenacious - ridiculous value in a knife. Yeah, it's made in China and may not use some fancy sounding steel, but at 30 bux you'll be hard pressed to find a better knife. They also recently released the Persistence, Resilience and Ambitious - they're basically different sizes (one larger, 2 smaller) of the Tenacious design.

If I need something really small, a Boker Wharcom usually finds it's way into my pocket

I run the Benchmade Mini-Grip D2 for EDC, and the Benchmade Full Size Grip D2 otherwise. If I could do it again, I probably would have opted for the 154CM steel as opposed to the D2. The D2 is great and holds a good edge for a long time, but when it comes to sharpening day I would appreciate the softer 154CM.

I'm trying to find an excuse to buy the BM mini barrage AO knife, but I just can't justify it at the moment.

But in my opinion the best knife for the money is a buck. They work, they last and if they don't buck stands behind em 100%

I agree with Shawnmoore81 There is no better than a Buck. I collect and carry custom Bucks. The regular 110 buck is what your looking for. You can get some good deals on ebay. The basic 110 is fine, you don't need to go fancy, like I do. My favorite is a Yellowhorse custom, I have a few of those. They are more for collecting and selling than carrying. I just posted a Brian Yellowhorse Buck 110 on ebay yesterday. Sweet knife, to good to carry.

NJGF Regular

This is the exact one I got. Great knife for the money. locks up nice and tight, and is super sharp.

http://www.amazon.co...23741858&sr=8-2

Thanks for posting that. I checked it out, the price looked good, and I ordered it. Should have it by next week.

Damn, you guys are a bad influence on me!

I have always been a fan of Spydercos, which explains why I currently have around 65 of them. Spyderco makes good knives with a variety of different blade steels. While many manufacturers are making $50 knives with cheap 400 series stainless steel, Spyderco makes knives with VG10 or CPMS30V or H1 at the $50-60 pricepoint.

At ~$30, the Spyderco Tenacious is a nice knife, as are many of the Byrd line - I'm a big fan of the Cara Cara, Flight, and Crossbill from the Byrd line. 8Cr13MoV steel is decent, similar in performance to AUS8, and I feel it is significantly better than most cheap 400 series stainless blades.

At $50-65, a Spyderco Delica, Native, Endura, Rescue, or any of the Salt series are nice knives to look into. If you can stretch the budget a little more, ZDP189 blades can be had for under $75 occasionally.

VG10, CPMS30V, H1, and 8Cr13MoV steels are pretty damn nice, reliable steels which hold an edge yet only need minor maintenance. There are steels like ZDP189 which will require more maintenance, as it is more prone to rust, but it holds an edge forever (almost), and is a very hard, tough steel. It can be more prone to chipping, but still a nice steel.

Try to handle the knife you're looking at before you buy one. For me, the Native just isn't as nice or easy to flick open as a Delica, so a Delica4 is my preference between the two. Also consider handle material, FRN and G10 are very grippy materials, while stainless steel can be slippery, especially when your hand gets sweaty. Funny thing is, a Spyderco's stainless steel handle is made of better steel than some cheap knives use in their blades.

I do like a few other brands of knives as well, Benchmade, Emerson, Kershaw, and others that slip my mind at the moment....but these days, Spyderco makes a knife for every situation that I'd use one in, in plenty of steel types, so I'm happy with them.

Whatever knife you get, from whatever brand, always keep it sharp. A Spyderco Sharpmaker kit will keep your knife sharper and safer. I've managed to split a hair 5 ways using a Spyderco Military I sharpened on a Sharpmaker, using all 4 sets of rods (diamond, coarse, fine, ultra fine). It's a $100 investment that is well worth it... far better than the can opener grinders that ruin blade tempering... You can justify it to the wife by sharpening her kitchen knives... You can always start with just the Sharpmaker with the coarse and fine rods, that'll get you plenty sharp to start with.

I also vote Kershaw leek. I have the all stainless model and i carry it everyday. It's thin, you don't have to worry about corrosion even in the nooks, its got a long lean blade for its size, extremely easy one hand opening, and has a great stainless clip. I think it retails around $40

As a certified knife nut I've probably lost more knives than most people will ever own. The type of folder you carry will depend on what it's primary purpose will be. I alternate my EDC's every couple of months or as I acquire new ones. As many of the comments state, Emerson's and Chris Reeves are the top of pyramid tactical folders that will absolutely not fail when you need it.However you pay BIGTIME for that. Most of Emerson's folders w/ the Wave folder start out at about $200 retail and they are in such high demand they are very hard toget. Lower cost but not lesser quality are Spyderco, Zero Tolerance, Cold Steel. Actually carry up to three knives at a time depending on where I am, what I'm doing and what legal/social issues are at hand. I generally carry a solid folder w/ a blade length around 4 inches for heavy cutting chores, prying and unforeseen emergencies, a Leatherman Wave multi-tool and (especially if I'm in an office environment) a Swiss Army Knife. I learned the hard way several years ago about carrying my standard tactical folder at the office. I had to open a new box of copy paper and needed to cut the tough nylon strap that goes around it. I took out my Benchmade version of the Emerson CQC7 and cut it open. Unbe knownst to me, a female co-worker was standing behind me at the time. She immediately remarked "Wow that's a really big knife! Why do you have to carry that around w/ you?" Ten minutes late I was explaining that to my boss. Since then I've learned to leave heavy hardware in my pocket unless I really need it or there's no nervous nellies around.

I just started a knife selling business and would be happy to discuss w/ you possible options. I charge at least 20% below retail and am open to negotiation. I have a start up website at: SensitiveItemRetentionSystems.com or email me at [email protected]