emptyshell

Recommend a Great Folding Knife

I've got one of these arriving in a couple of days. Heard great things from a buddy from the limited time its been out. But he swears up and down its a freaking work horse for practical use. He said he put it through a car door while parts picking. I think its a great plus for NJ daily knife carriers. No teeth or points and non agressive look for law enforcement, but has that besh wedge point to put through most anything. Not crazy about the chisel grind or Mantis knives, but most likely from not much expierence with them. So stoked to get it, can't wait.

MKMT72B.jpg

If cost is truly a non issue go big or go home!

C449175F-88DC-4268-8EED-19667BA2C501-5895-00000452ED98F33F.jpg

These are all tough the bottom is a spyderco gayle Bradley $130 ish

Next Chris reeve sebenza 21 about $410

And top one is a strider smf about $525

Pick your poison.

Wish I saw this sooner. I have a different perspective than most(not all) because I extensively used my knives in various military operations, training etc under different climates, conditions and functions.

For the money Spyderco is fairly decent and if you're just cutting through boxes the UPS guy is bringing in from Amazon you should be fine.

If you want something that is a little bit higher quality that will last through anything thrown at it I would suggest a Kershaw or a SOG.

SOG is a bit tricky though because some of their lower end models have cheap finishes and parts, especially the spring assisted knives. Kershaw is decent quality throughout the entire product line. This being said when you cross that $100 barrier SOG starts to pull away in terms of quality and materials used imo.

It just depends what you're using it for.

Wish I saw this sooner. I have a different perspective than most(not all) because I extensively used my knives in various military operations, training etc under different climates, conditions and functions.

For the money Spyderco is fairly decent and if you're just cutting through boxes the UPS guy is bringing in from Amazon you should be fine.

If you want something that is a little bit higher quality that will last through anything thrown at it I would suggest a Kershaw or a SOG.

SOG is a bit tricky though because some of their lower end models have cheap finishes and parts, especially the spring assisted knives. Kershaw is decent quality throughout the entire product line. This being said when you cross that $100 barrier SOG starts to pull away in terms of quality and materials used imo.

It just depends what you're using it for.

Seriously? What kind of spydercos were you using? In general, they are of vastly better quality than anything but the zero tolerance offerings form the kershaw brand (and some of the limited run high priced stuff). Don't confuse Byrd with Spyderco, just like you shouldn't trust the entire lineup of kershaw. They have added in a bunch of cheap chinese knifes and the qaultiy on them is pretty borderline, the byrd line is spyderco's chinese offerings, and they aren't as bad as the cheap kershaws. Then again they aren't as cheap as the cheap kershaws. I have a sog pendulum, I got it on a very good sale from a reputable dealer, but it is normally in the $100-115 range. It was very disappointing in terms of fit and finish for the price. My manix 2 I got at the same time from the same place for about the same price (which was not a sale price for the spyderco) really impressed me. The manix is sharper with a better polish to the edge, the jimping is effecting and not harsh, the sog's is rough and feels almost stamped out. The manix uses g-10 scales. The sog uses a molded zytel scale that I'm not sure if it is poorly executed or poorly conceived. The manix is made in the USA, the SOG in japan, so there is that as well. It's not crap, but it's likely to be my first and last sog folder.

Not just knife snobbery, I own all those brands and then some, even the cheap chinese stuff. I think the byrd line of knives was a mistake as they have several VERY nice domestic products between $50-100, and the $20-30 price range might be nice for high volume sales, but for the guy who isn't going to spend $50 for quality, you need to be seeing those suckers at lowes, home depot, dicks, sports authority, or something along those lines, and I'm not seeing them in person anywhere. If you shop around for the lowest price, the spyderco Native III is still my call for absolute best value in a folder. Tough, ergonomic, sharp, good fit and finish, and affordable, although no longer available for $37 from walmart ($67 now). The delica is $50 form them, and if you are cross shopping that vs someone marking up a $30 byrd knife because they can't sort through everything on the internet easily, they just diluted their brand and the only one who made a lot more money off of it was the retailer.

OK just added this one recently. The blade is from a "Customize a Griptilian" mini Griptilian that I ordered from Benchmade. Blade is a tanto point in S30V, and I had the Gadsden symbol laser etched into the blade at the factory. The opposite side of the blade has my name engraved in script. The knife originally came with tan scales, but is now sporting a set of Kevin Wilkins titanium scales. My small CRK Sebenza Tanto is back in it's box at the moment. But I eventually rotate all my folding knives around for some carry time. Two are dedicated right hand carry, a Strider SNG DGG, and an Emerson CQC7V...I am a lefty after all.

DTOMKnife_zps78a4214c.jpg

Seriously? What kind of spydercos were you using? In general, they are of vastly better quality than anything but the zero tolerance offerings form the kershaw brand (and some of the limited run high priced stuff). Don't confuse Byrd with Spyderco, just like you shouldn't trust the entire lineup of kershaw.

I've seen quite a few Spydercos fall apart. Again though I used my knives under military conditions. Home use is not the same as a military training OP on top of a mountain in -20F weather or in the middle of a dessert. We use them to pry things apart, bash stuff, cut paracord, etc. And we use them quite a bit.

We basically beat the hell out of our knives. I personally had a Spyderco have the screws fall out of the handle lol. Sure it's no a big deal, replace the screws etc but when you're in the middle of nowhere and your local big box store isn't down the road it's a pain in the ass.

To this day I still have my SOG tanto as well as my Kershan(Leek?) and the SOG's finish is pretty much destroyed but the blade is in great condition and still cuts. I'm actually shocked the spring assisted function still works without a hitch.

I've got one of these arriving in a couple of days. Heard great things from a buddy from the limited time its been out. But he swears up and down its a freaking work horse for practical use. He said he put it through a car door while parts picking. I think its a great plus for NJ daily knife carriers. No teeth or points and non agressive look for law enforcement, but has that besh wedge point to put through most anything. Not crazy about the chisel grind or Mantis knives, but most likely from not much expierence with them. So stoked to get it, can't wait.

MKMT72B.jpg

what is the make of this? I just lost my sog flash ii after 3 years at the range and am looking to replace it.

Best everyday folder in my eyes is the spyderco caly 3.5 with the zdp189 steel... I love the size and the steel is rediculous... Im a huge fan... If you like something a little bigger the spderco stretch is awesome or even a manix...the caly is good cause you barely feel it in you pocket and its a work horse..

There are various types of knives available in the market. But in some parts of world, openly exhibition of it banned. On violation you can face some serious kind of penalties. So, always kept this thing in mind.

Anyhow I also have a pair of it, gifted by my dear Aunt, I am sharing it. Tell me, How's it.

post-6809-0-42088600-1369460368_thumb.jpgpost-6809-0-42088600-1369460368_thumb.jpg

As another poster said I think spyderco has the market cornered from $40-200 range.

In the pic below the gap is where I feel a lot of the other brands of knives fall. I really think spyderco is better at almost any given price point. The one on the bottom is a clipit spyderco, aka old school light duty knife. Top is my aluminium SMF 3/4 grind. If you need more than that its time for a fixed blade.

B3072B8C-DD0A-4A0F-8111-C0447F87FEE0-135