ClangClang

Thug robs CCW holder in Philly

Turnabout is fair (gun)play

BY CATHERINE LUCEY

Philadelphia Daily News

[email protected]

A 15-YEAR-OLD thug who tried to rob a Temple University student early Monday got an unexpected surprise when the college kid pulled out a piece of his own, in self-defense.

The young gunman and two teenage sidekicks came upon Robert Eells, 21, and a friend just before 2 a.m. on 12th Street near Dauphin. He tried to rob Eells and opened fire, at which point Eells shot back, police said.

Multiple shots were fired, and Eells was struck in the stomach and the robber in the chest and leg. Both were taken to Temple University Hospital, where they were treated and listed in stable condition Monday, police said.

The would-be robber, whom police did not identify because of his age, will be charged, police said. Officers last night were looking for his two accomplices.

Police said that Eells, a sophomore from Chalfont, had a permit to carry a weapon. Temple officials confirmed his identity Monday night.

The shooting happened several blocks off campus. Eells did not live in campus housing. The friend with him during the incident is not a Temple student.

Temple spokesman Ray Betzner said that Temple police were cooperating with the Philadelphia police investigation into the shooting. He also stressed that Temple had increased security efforts to keep the campus and the surrounding area safe.

"Temple's campus has very strong safety procedures, and we have increased patrols on the outskirts of campus through the city of Philadelphia's Police Department," Betzner said.

He declined to comment on Eells' decision to carry a weapon but said students are not allowed to have firearms on campus.

Link: http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20110905_Turnabout_is_fair__gun_play.html

Interesting story. The article is not clear whether the victim drew before or after the perpetrator fired the first shots. It's definitely worth considering - could the victim have avoided being shot in the stomach by simply handing over his wallet?

Could he have trained better? He obviously managed to place a round center mass (and another in the leg) and was likely more "trained" than the perp. Was it a wild west shootout or was there some sort of combat element to the incident, i.e. did he manage to cover and move the perp's weapon out of the way, then begin firing?

Lots of questions, and the answers could very well save our own lives one day.

He declined to comment on Eells' decision to carry a weapon but said students are not allowed to have firearms on campus.

And if Eells followed the rules instead of exercising his second amendment rights, he'd most likely be dead right now. This is why schools should allow CCW if the state allows it.

• Like 3

And if Eells followed the rules instead of exercising his second amendment rights, he'd most likely be dead right now. This is why schools should allow CCW if the state allows it.

Do we really know that? No.

I would aT wait for all the facts. Just my post Brian aitken speaking. In any case, good thing good guy is alive to live another day.

• Like 1

I wish that Temple Univ as well as the Philly PD would keep security tight, instead of increasing it then going back to decreasing it (or normal security) and continuing that constant cycle.

I have many friends that go to Temple, as well as other Philly colleges. Most of them are females and I wish they ALWAYS had increased security in areas in and around campus. One of my girl friends has already been robbed twice. Both times she thankfully made it out ok, basically was intimidated and demanded they give them cash.

Sounds like robbery at gun point, when he noticed his victim pulling out his sidearm instead of his wallet i'm assuming that's when the rounds went off. The shot placements makes sense if a robber was holding a gun low to be conspicuous. And sounds like Elles put one in the guys chest and one in the leg on his way to the ground.

if he never pulled his gun chances are this wouldn't have happened, but then again some people don't like to take chances, and your in a very good position to grab your pistol while pretending to get your wallet.

15 year old with a gun.... Federal government should take a note here, gun control doesn't do ****!

Interesting story. The article is not clear whether the victim drew before or after the perpetrator fired the first shots. It's definitely worth considering - could the victim have avoided being shot in the stomach by simply handing over his wallet?

If being compliant is your answer, then you have it all wrong.

• Like 2