Sign in to follow this  
Turbotezza

Building SP89K,AT94K type etc. pistol

Ok, assuming these guns confirm to NJ laws, buying any one of these types of guns would require a pistol permit.

I'm thinking of building one from a plain receiver. Question is, do I need a specially designated pistol receiver (If there is such a thing) and use a pistol permit on that? Or can I build/assemble one from any plain receiver without needing a permit?

Ok, assuming these guns confirm to NJ laws, buying any one of these types of guns would require a pistol permit.

I'm thinking of building one from a plain receiver. Question is, do I need a specially designated pistol receiver (If there is such a thing) and use a pistol permit on that? Or can I build/assemble one from any plain receiver without needing a permit?

That's a big assumption. Before doing anything else I would take a look at the factory specs for commercial versions and check the weight. In order to be Legal in Nj it would HAVE to be under 50 oz in Weight UNLOADED. That said, it SHOULD be a legal build as Recievers arent transferred as Rifles or Pistols, they are transferred as "Other".

The anwser I was looking for. Thanks.

Did you pay attention to the "Check the Weight" part I posted as well???

P89 Technical Specifications

Caliber 9mm parabellum

Feed Mechanism Staggered magazines;

15- or 30-round capacity

Operating System Delayed roller locked bolt

Sight Radius 10.25 inches (260.35mm)

Weight: with empty

magazine 4.4 pounds (2 kg) = 70 Oz

Barrel length 4.5 inches (114.3mm)

Overall length 13 inches (330.2mm)

Width 2.28 inches (57.91mm)

Height 8.26 inches (209.8mm)

If you build an SP89, unless you figure out a way to shave a full 20 oz off of it YOU ARE GOING TO BE COMMITTING A FELONY IN NJ.