Sign in to follow this  
bbk

Watch 'Contagion'!

Just got back from watching '

' and I honestly can't get it off of my mind. Going into the movie, I was intrigued as movies having to do with epidemics rarely are thrust into the spotlight. I also feared that Contagion would be a fear-mongering type film, as is the case most of the time with that genre of films. However, I was truly surprised [in a good way] with how visceral and blunt the film portrayed the subject matter (which is obvious if anybody has seen the first ten minutes). Beyond that though, the film, I feel, almost examined and dissected every aspect having to do with a major, catastrophic incident (operative word being 'incident' as I feel that the epidemic portion could have been replaced with really any type of catastrophic incident and, generally, told the same story).

The fact that the writers broke down the story from the international to the national, and then to the state and local levels-- and then even the micro-perspective was refreshing and well-organized. I always say in discussions regarding large scale incidents that the problem for us, as individuals, are at the local level. Yet, people get caught up in the macro-perspective, as does Hollywood [when discussing this subject matter], and they fail to realize it is a broken way of examining said issues (the question is posed, "why worry about something that we can't control?"). This film really examines this very well, and the story-telling is fluid (and it doesn't hurt that the excellent, ensemble cast does a great job too).

I really don't want to go into specifics because I would rather not ruin sections of the film. But if you haven't watched, and will, you'll notice small bits that while are only brief moments on the screen, hold the weight of the world in their actions. I wouldn't say it's moving stuff, ha, but the details were very well thought out and executed.

I really say watch this film because, IMO, it is the film that has best shown how society and individuals deal with such an incident. It's real, no "heroes" really, and it tells a story that is truly believable (which is quite frightening when considered).

For those who have watched it, I called the ending right at the get-go :icon_mrgreen:

Sign in to follow this