DevsAdvocate

Passed my hunter's education class! (Shotgun/Rifle)

Turkey hunting is awesome. It's all I do. You need to learn how to use the calls. That's the biggest thing. And you need to know what calls to use when. Turkeys can be quite difficult to hunt if you don't know what you're doin, but man is it fun, camo head to toe, sittin in a bush. Good times.

Nice. How do i do that? Are there any good books or resources on deer hunting?

get out in the woods learn to read the signs, trails, scrapes, rubs, find a spot where you can observe and be quiet, most big deer arent taken by chance. i spoted a beautiful 8 pointer last week, too bad he seems to be living on the medium of the parkway.

Now what do I do? What do I need before I can even begin to think about hunting? Heck... I'm not even sure what I want to hunt. Deer is yummy. Turkey is (supposedly) a challenge.

Join a hunting club!

We have a couple openings in my club in Blairstown, and we encourage beginners.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/26909-hunting-club-looking-for-new-members/

Now what do I do? What do I need before I can even begin to think about hunting? Heck... I'm not even sure what I want to hunt. Deer is yummy. Turkey is (supposedly) a challenge.

Congrats!

Start with the easy stuff first such as small game like rabbits and squirrel. They're also tasty table fare. View every hunting trip afield as a scouting trip for other game. The more time you spend in the woods, the more you'll learn.

Congrats.

I want to get my hunters ed course and I wanna get my wife to do it also. Was it hard?

Shotgun/Rifle was easy, Bow looks like you need to practice with it.

Muzzle-loader was fun. Never shot one before until I took the class.

now file your paperwork for CMP, NJ hunters ed satisfies the shooting portion. Get setup and get that M1 while you can!

What paperwork for the CMP? Their website isn't really that great when it comes to detailing what forms you need to fill out...

What paperwork for the CMP? Their website isn't really that great when it comes to detailing what forms you need to fill out...

I thought their website was great, and constantly improving. I found the form immediately:

CMP order form.

I believe this multi-part form is all you need.

-Dave

Shotgun/Rifle was easy, Bow looks like you need to practice with it.

Yes, I saw probably 25-50% of the people in front of me fail, although they were mostly young people. A bunch of guys failed because they didn't practice cocking the crossbow they were bothering and didn't have the strength.

You have to get 3 of 5 arrows into the vital section of a 3-D foam deer target at 18-20yds. The vital section is a circle maybe 8" in diameter.

I bought my first bow earlier this summer, and have been practicing quite a bit, maybe 6-12 arrows 4-6 times a week. I managed to get my first three arrows into a group about 1" in the middle of the vital area, so I only had to shoot three, but I saw a lot of people struggle. Practice is clearly important.

For shotgun, you just had to know how to safely operate the gun, load it, know where to see the gauge on the barrel and on the headstamp of the round, not let them fool you by taking a 20ga round for your 12ga gun, etc. You shoot maybe 5-6 times, but don't actually have to hit anything. I hit all three clays from the shoulder easily, but missed twice going from the ready position at "pull" taking the safety off and shooting....

Not to shabby. I would definitely get some practice on a 3d deer target, as that's what you'll be shooting at during the test. It is a little more difficult, plus you learn the vitals and shot placement all at the same time. I would try to hone my skills in at 20 yards personally. Don't forget to check that your tips are tight and keep your strings waxed.

Not to shabby. I would definitely get some practice on a 3d deer target, as that's what you'll be shooting at during the test. It is a little more difficult, plus you learn the vitals and shot placement all at the same time. I would try to hone my skills in at 20 yards personally. Don't forget to check that your tips are tight and keep your strings waxed.

Strings waxed? Why?

Strings waxed? Why?

Waxing your string prolongs the life of your string and protects it from fraying. Actually you should wax the whole string (even the parts of the string that have serving on them and also the nocking point) and your cables and cable slide as well. It keeps everything running smoothly and you'll get a lot more life out of the string, especially if you shoot a lot arrows. I wax my strings about every other time I used the bow.