georgemc

Problems with upstairs neighbor

Ok, havent been online here for awhile now. Been busy with work, kids etc etc. I live and rent in a 3 family house. My neighbor upstairs, her daughters boyfriend (wanna be rapper/thug life) has started living up there part time now, and apparently another two individuals. My wife and the upstairs neighbor share the parking here. Wife has the garage, and the neighbor parks in the back of the house. During the day I park in the garage because I work nights.

A couple of weeks ago, I was doing 12 hour shifts at the plant. Being that I was going early to work that night, my car was in the driveway. When I went to back out of it, the upstairs "thug" had his new camaro halfway parked in the driveway and I could not back out(mind you the ENTIRE block was empty). I go upstairs the daughter answered and I said to her "Is it really necessary for him to park like that, can you ask him to move his car" went about my business and eventually he came down and moved it.

On my way to work, I get a text from the daughters mother (neighbor upstairs) telling me "why did I have to be so nasty about it" So from then we were not speaking up until a few days ago (we had a joint understanding pertaining to the basement being flooded and doing our clean up of our stuff) Keep in mind here, the mother believes her daughter does NO wrong. I went to try and record this stuff but didn't have it on video...duh

So today, the "thug" was seriously arguing with the daughter, slamming doors, cursing etc etc. Someone had called the police and he was yelling back and forth with them (I don't know the whole story behind that) The police did nothing to him.

During this "altercation" I had asked this "thug" "Can you please stop slamming the door like that". I guess that triggered him off, so he started cursing at me, telling me that he is going to "F*$K my car up, I don't give a S@#t who you are" etc etc...

For me I don't speak thug, so I just smiled at him. He kept on ranting going to his car, so I took a walk over to the detective and ask him what am I to do about the threats he just made.

Was told, get a name and file a restraining order...I replied to the detective.."How am I going to get his name, it's not like he's going to give it to me. Is there another way about doing this" He couldn't give me an answer. What concerns me the most is my two children and my wife here. My son's bedroom is up front where this a$ is slamming the door, has now made those threats to me. I'm not the kind of person that take threats to lightly...To be honest I'm like a "reformed thug" myself ever since my children where born. I know who talks the talk and who walks it...and this POS is speaking loud to me.

I do not wish to take the chance of him trying something with my wife and kids when I am not at home which I know in time is going to happen.

I've contacted my landlord so I'm waiting to see what she is going to say or do. What other options do I have here.

edited...

My advice would be to get a security camera system with a DVR. They are fairly inexpensive now. Even costco carries them. Since you don't own the home, using them internally is your only option. Mount them so they have clear views out of your windows to areas where the thug likes to hang out, especially the driveway where your car is. You may also want to carry a small digital sound recorder with you, or set your phone to record vid/audio anytime you interact with him. I'm sure you will build up enough evidence for your landlord to take action, or at the minimum get the restraining order. As others said, the PD can look up his plate number. That detective you spoke to sounds like he didn't want to be bothered.

Kill him with kindness.

I agree and would take it another step. I would stop by, apologize, give some excuse about work stress and apologize. If he were over 21 I'd even buy a 12 pack of beer.

Your goingto be living with them, try to make it civil.

I'd also call the police when they fight loudly and keep track of the dates and times the police were out there. This list can be copied and given to the landlord.

I'd quietly keep track of the events in the apartment in case the police or landlord need info.

Lastly (joking) you can plant drugs in his car in plane sight. You plant when the wife calls 911 during another fight. Don't leave prints.

• Like 2

not that my answer will help much.. and I apologize for that.. but this is the risk of any duplex, triplex, apartment, etc.. one day it is the best place in the world.. next day you are chasing some arrogant scumbag off of your steps... yet another reason to throw everything away and move to somewhere that gives you some property.. for this very reason I would honestly rather live in the most dark desolate dead end shack, than a multi-million dollar high rise..

NOTHING and I repeat NOTHING will fix bad neighbors except moving.. ESPECIALLY when you are living right on top of one another..

good luck with it..

document any "encounters".. report any "threats" especially when children are involved.. and PLEASE do NOT let this asshole know you have guns.. the last thing you would want is for them to run your house in an attempt to steal your firearms..

get some web cams cooking so you can watch the property when you are not home..

a very simple recipe I have been using..

$40 web cam + free yawcam (software) + smart phone = ANY TIME ANY PLACE link to my home.. can check in any time I want..

Why wouldn't the police take any action when you spoke to them?

because if they did a complete "investigation" every time some hot head spouted out some meaningless threat, it would literally tie up every officer 24 hours a day forever.. the police must not have taken him seriously for one reason or another..

not that my answer will help much.. and I apologize for that.. but this is the risk of any duplex, triplex, apartment, etc.. one day it is the best place in the world.. next day you are chasing some arrogant scumbag off of your steps... yet another reason to throw everything away and move to somewhere that gives you some property.. for this very reason I would honestly rather live in the most dark desolate dead end shack, than a multi-million dollar high rise..

NOTHING and I repeat NOTHING will fix bad neighbors except moving.. ESPECIALLY when you are living right on top of one another..

This is so true. Throw in landlords selling the place, over and over, and parading scummy criminals ("potential buyers") through your home at all hours each time, it's just not worth it.

Sorry to hear you're dealing with a nitwit like this, but how is the cops didn't immediately act on the terroristic threats this dirtbag made to you in their presence? Also, if his name isn't on the lease how is he living there legally? I'm sure your landlord (who would shoulder the liability, IMO, if God forbid this piece of crap ever does harm to you or your loved ones) wouldn't be pleased to know there are three more people putting wear and tear on a rental unit. I wouldn't, and I would have it written into any lease that I would give my renters.

Anyway, while chances are this punk won't do a damned thing, why chance it? As vlad said, you'd be better served by getting your family out of that situation. We've had some issues on my block with a pretty big influx of Section 8 renters in the absentee-landlord owned buildings/homes around here: numerous calls to the po-po for domestic beefs and quality of life issues; illegal parkers; late parties, etc. Not fun, and I wish you luck with the situation.

If he threatens you, again, keep track of it word for word and record it with the date and time, etc. Keep a diary of all events with him. Also, that type of threat is probably considered a "terroristic threat".

Where is the landlord in all of this? Is it in the agreement that he can "live" there? What is your relationship to the landlord? Are you considered a valued tennet?

I agree that you should just be kind to him and all. But document the slamming and everyhing.

Well for now all is quiet..but it's that really awkward feeling going around. Landlord is trying to figure out the best way to handle this..?? I am on very good terms with them. He is not on the lease, it's the daughters boyfriend.

For now, I'm not saying another word to any of them, unless they approach me and my family. I have my phone now set to record. And to be all spiteful, this prick is now is the driveway, we'll see what happens tomorrow when I need to get the dumpster out and his car is still there.....unbelievable.

we'll see what happens tomorrow when I need to get the dumpster out and his car is still there.....unbelievable.

F-it. Let the trash pile up until he realizes that the dumpster aint gonna move with his car in the way. Let it get all stinky in overflow into his spot.

F-it. Let the trash pile up until he realizes that the dumpster aint gonna move with his car in the way. Let it get all stinky in overflow into his spot.

The thing is that he DOES not live here. His future mother-in-law told him to park there just to piss me off some.. Regarding the dumpster, I'm the one who is paying for it, and it is scheduled to be picked up tomorrow.

The thing is that he DOES not live here. His future mother-in-law told him to park there just to piss me off some.. Regarding the dumpster, I'm the one who is paying for it, and it is scheduled to be picked up tomorrow.

If she told him that, the landlord can use that and evict them!

just be patient, think about your family, don't think about this people to much cause it will piss you off more and quick. security cam, great idea and like the rest of the guys said to document everything that pertains to this individual. keep your family safe, don't get yourself into troublr so you can be around to protect your family. be smarter than the people upstairs! off the record: hope your wife have a lot of patience too, you don't want her playing with your guns and saying hello to them people upstairs! goodluck!

That's a huge risk to take. What if he likes it? :sarcastichand:

At that point, I think we have to consider that we don't want people telling no tales ;)

Put road kill in the undercarriage of his car.

Under the hood, taped on top of the engine near the vent. And, a nice bloated one under the windshield wiper as a red herring.

I'd have the F'er towed away. I don't give a rat's A$$, I will never allow some POS to F with me like this. If you rent the driveway, then he is in breach and you should have the legal aithority to move teh vehicle.

The cop was a douchebag, he could've chilled this a-hole with a just a few words right after he threatened you (take him aside and say, "listen a-hole, if I have to come back here for car damage, I'm gonna f*ck with you big time").

Blue

So you mention Thug Wannabe, a lot of time they are like a barking dog, all bark no bite, sometimes a little privet heart to heart talk can do wonders if being nice doesn't work. Family is family and there safety and well being comes first and foremost.

Harry

Lastly (joking) you can plant drugs in his car in plane sight. You plant when the wife calls 911 during another fight. Don't leave prints.

Why on earth would you plant drugs, he will get off with a hefty fine. I would plant a magazine loaded with hollow points in the glove box of his car (2C:39-3. (f) Prohibited Weapons and Devices). You need to remember, this is Jersey and the hollow points alone will get him a third degree crime punishable by 3 to 5.

And if he is a felon, he will also get slapped with 2C:39-7 (Certain persons not to have weapons) this is a fourth degree crime punishable by 18 months

My past experience with landlords showed that many are interested in getting their rent and little else. If you want that car moved, call the landlord and tell him that you will be withholding part of your rent because you are unable to use the driveway that is part of your lease. Then you will likey see some action.

In your shoes, I would start looking for another place. These kinds of feuds tend to escalate over time and really intrude on your life. I know from experience. The only real solution is to remove yourself from the situation.

Good luck and keep your cool.

My past experience with landlords showed that many are interested in getting their rent and little else. If you want that car moved, call the landlord and tell him that you will be withholding part of your rent because you are unable to use the driveway that is part of your lease. Then you will likey see some action.

In your shoes, I would start looking for another place. These kinds of feuds tend to escalate over time and really intrude on your life. I know from experience. The only real solution is to remove yourself from the situation.

Good luck and keep your cool.

or knock the evr loving shyte out of the guy or you could torch the car right in the driveway. Then sit there smoking a cigar. There's nothing better than payback and gloating about it. Of course, you'll need all the ducks lined up for this.

At the end of the day , I vote for "de-escalate" It's not like the OP is single , he has the wife and kids at home and works nights so he's going to be X amount of miles away if and when anything would happen. Working nights away from home is an uneasy feeling, I've been there so I know. Be the bigger man and sit down with "Thuglite" and have a man to man, at the same time make sure the missus knows how to safely operate the firearms in the home and she's proficient in case things take a turn for the worse , last thing you need is for thuglites friends to hit your apartment while you're at work. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.