Sign in to follow this  
crutoi

92fs or px4 as a first gun for Range shooting

Hi, just got my permit(and license) last week and almost done doing all my homework. After hours of reading and hours of watching youtube vids I Went to a store and held a few guns in hand, then went to Sunset range in PA to shot a few and have finally have narrowed it down to Beretta family of either px4(wasn't able to shoot this one) or 92fs.

My whole reason for getting a permit was to learn to shoot at a range, and perhaps with time compete in some low low level completions :).

Both guns are very appealing to me based on all the info i collected so now just trying to narrow down which is better as the first gun, since price is only about 50-75 apart. looking for a full size 9mm

any pro's and cons would be appreciated

so far leaning towards px4

Thanks

I Also bought a px4 as my first gun due to good cost,quality and good features. I love the gun I have a sig and a baby eagle as well and this gun still holds it spot in my range bag. I would suggest if you do get it,get a universal hogue grip for it makes the gun even more fun to shoot in my opinion.

I went with the 92 series for my first handgun ( m9a1 ) I felt it was a simple, reliable, and proven 9mm and I couldnt go wrong. Along with the classic design and wide spread bad assness that goes along with this gun, I feel everybody should have one in their safe.

I love the classic design (as Mcmahon stated) of the 92fs. I also like the sleek lines of it, and the fact that it is pretty unique in the broad range of pistols nowadays.

I never owned one but a buddy of mine used to let me shoot his frequently when we'd shoot together. Ergonomically, it was comfortable in your hands and was very fun to shoot.

I have never shot a PX4, so I can't talk about them. Based on looks alone, I'm not a big fan but I hear many owners who are pleased with them.

I went with the 92 series for my first handgun ( m9a1 ) I felt it was a simple, reliable, and proven 9mm and I couldn't go wrong. Along with the classic design and wide spread bad assness that goes along with this gun, I feel everybody should have one in their safe.

That's the thing, everyone says 92 is the gun you must own in you "arsenal", but I'm not planning to have multiples(and yeas i know everyone says that at first :) ) and actually i do have a second permit awaiting me in PD, they said i can only get it after 30days of getting the first one.

any opinions of getting in in state vs out of state? the best price i got so far was around 550-575(including taxes\nics) out the door locally.

That's the thing, everyone says 92 is the gun you must own in you "arsenal", but I'm not planning to have multiples(and yeas i know everyone says that at first :) ) and actually i do have a second permit awaiting me in PD, they said i can only get it after 30days of getting the first one.

any opinions of getting in in state vs out of state? the best price i got so far was around 550-575(including taxes\nics) out the door locally.

Only 1 handgun? yeh right.. keep telling yourself that.

But being a popular handgun would work to your favor, if you dont mind buying used - you can def. save some coin if you shop around for a used 92.

I ordered my m9a1 off buds ( has the front rail on it ) was the best price at that time.

I cant comment on the px4 much, but I have probably 4,000-5,000 rounds through my beretta of various range ammo and have yet to have a FTF,FTE, or any issues with the gun so far.

and x2 for whomever reccomended the houge grip, makes a wonderful fit and grip

5867659355_5bc29a040d_z.jpg

• Like 1

My opinion is contact Tony from TJ Sporting Arms. Website: tjsportingarms.com. My experience dealing with Tony is excellent plus got my gun slightly cheaper than online. Plus he's a nice guy. Give him a call and ask for a quote.

That's my 2 cents.

Ryan

I would get the PX4 first. It's a modern polymer type gun with great ergonmics and features.100% reliable as the 92. But the unique feature of the PX4 is the rotating barrel which makes it a must have. Eventually you will wind up with both.

You also have some choices in the PX4:

Full size or Compact (15 rd 9mm)

Type F, C, D, or G

92fs is given the choice of two, although the px4 has some very nice features, such as rotating barrel.

However, two issues already, 1. Your PD is holding the permit for you for 30 days? Not their job to do that. It is your job to know the 30 days. Go there, pick it up now, and go apply for another 4 or 5.

Contact NJ2AS so they can get this PD fixed. What township is this?

Secondly, you can buy the gun anyhwere, however you can only pick it up from a NJ Dealer. So if you buy it out of state, say in PA, they will have to transfer it to a local NJ dealer, where you pay NICS/Transfer, so you are not saving yourself anything.

Use the NJGF price request feature, let the dealers know what you want, and they will come to you.

Hold them both and preferably shoot them both. Get whatever feels better. That being said, I have the 92fs. Mine is in stainless, looks awesome. I love it. Hogue grips really finish it off.

You may want to go with the 92A1 actually. It's a little updated with a tacticool rail and a captive spring.

I held both and shot a 92, which want that bad, but something in a px just feels right :), if I would find a place to shoot it, it would make my choice a lot easier, but I couldn't find a place within one and a half hours drive that had them...either easy I'll get one of them this weekend :) then go to bayone range to try it out :) that's the closest place to livingston that I can find

I've shot both, and although I like the PX4 the Beretta 92 is my favorite of the two. Actually, if I were you I'd be looking at the 92A1 over the 92FS or M9... It's a great gun and the most updated version of the 92 lineup. I have one and I absolutely love it! If you're looking for a gun that is mainly for range use and can double as a home defense pistol, you can't go wrong with the 92A1.

If you have small to medium size hands, make sure you checkout the PX4. It will most likely fit your hand, better, although the sight radius is shorter. Additionally, I believe that the trigger on the PX4 is much nicer than the 92FS, and you will be able to upgrade the sights. On the other hand, the 92FS is an awesome looking gun and feels good, but it is heavy.

If you opt for the 92FS, I would get the 92A1 with the ability to change the front sight. I am not sure of the M9 version of the A1 has that option to change sights, though. On the flip side, the 92A1 comes standard with mags that are larger than 17, while the M9A1 has 15-rounders. Make sure you check the mag size as well. Lastly, what is the magazine size that you will get with the PX4? Would you be stuck with 10?

I know you said that you have narrowed it down, but for me for a range gun, it would be a toss up between the 92FS and the CZ75. I actually like the grip on the CZ 75B for my smaller size hands better than the 92, although they are both pushing it. In my opinion, the CZ75B w/ brushed stainless is just awesome. I would check it out as well, but the magazine capacity could also be a problem, and parts and everything will be slightly more than for the Beretta and probably much harder to find down the road. Customer service is probably similar.

If you want a more versatile gun, I woul consider a more compact and lighter gun than the 92FS. There is a 92 Compact that would be nice, but unless you are carrying it, you would not have any advantage because it doesn't have a smaller grip/trigger relationship, the magazine is less capacity and it has a shorter sight radius. So, for what you want, it would not have anything up on the 92FS full size. I would not get the compact PX4 either, though, as I believe the sight cannot be swapped out.

All in all, I would probably get the PX4 over the 92A1 unless I had larger hands.

If a budget is an option, the Stoeger Cougar might be a possibility. But, it lacks the adjustable backstraps and the finess in the PX4 trigger.

img7332a.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

img7331.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My 92FS Vertec, which has the straight backstrap instead of the standard "rounded" backstrap. She shoots better than I do.

My first pistol was a PX4 F, and I recommend the Hogue Universal Handall grip. The recoil is almost non-existant due the afore mentioned rotating barrel. I love them both, and shoot both of them at the range every weekend.

In my opinion you can not go wrong with either, and I guarantee that you'll be wanting the other after you purchase the first. DO NOT have buyer's remorse after your purchase, whichever one it is, but save up to get the other, you won't be sorry.

You may want to check out the buyer's forum at Berettaforum.net if you're willing to buy used.

Thank you all very much for your input. I found a px4g 9mm(NIB) on gunbroker for 369 and it was just hard to pass up :), this one does have a decocker but not a sefety, Is there a way to add safety to it in a gun shop or I shouldn't bother?

Irishpete just bought one of them. From PA right? Great choice. And yes, you can convert it to an Type F, with the safety. It is very easy. I converted both my PX4 Type F to Type G's in 20 min. The only difference between an F and G model in the PX4 lineup is 1 small spring and 1 small ball bearing that sit in the decocker levers. But eventually you will want to convert back to a Type G anyway, once you get comfortable with the gun.

Look for the low profile/stealth decocker levers, they really make the gun sleek and cool looking.

I luved my 92sf, but alas, the Sig 226 fit the same role and with the E2 grip, fit my hand much much better. You mihgt want to check out a 226 as well.

when i went to the store and the range p226 fit me like a glove, but there is also almost 500$ difference between px4 and that. but there is a good cahnce that once get used to this, p226 will be my next purchase, probably used. Btw, i have a question, when buying online from sites like gunbroker, how do you know what youre getting? how do you know if the gun works correctly and hasnt been abused?

Irishpete just bought one of them. From PA right? Great choice. And yes, you can convert it to an Type F, with the safety. It is very easy. I converted both my PX4 Type F to Type G's in 20 min. The only difference between an F and G model in the PX4 lineup is 1 small spring and 1 small ball bearing that sit in the decocker levers. But eventually you will want to convert back to a Type G anyway, once you get comfortable with the gun.

Look for the low profile/stealth decocker levers, they really make the gun sleek and cool looking.

:) thats exactly where i got it, i read irishpetes forum, and went to the old link(from the last time they had them), and today saw that they had them again(3 avail when i was buying) and jumped on it. got a safe.googles and plugs last night from amazon and all i'm missing is ammo and a cleaning kit.

btw, really like this community attitude :) very helpful people.

:) thats exactly where i got it, i read irishpetes forum, and went to the old link(from the last time they had them), and today saw that they had them again(3 avail when i was buying) and jumped on it. got a safe.googles and plugs last night from amazon and all i'm missing is ammo and a cleaning kit.

btw, really like this community attitude :) very helpful people.

And don't forget to order some 15rd Full Size mags from cdnn.....or......

I know you said that you have narrowed it down, but for me for a range gun, it would be a toss up between the 92FS and the CZ75. I actually like the grip on the CZ 75B for my smaller size hands better than the 92, although they are both pushing it. In my opinion, the CZ75B w/ brushed stainless is just awesome. I would check it out as well, but the magazine capacity could also be a problem, and parts and everything will be slightly more than for the Beretta and probably much harder to find down the road. Customer service is probably similar.

Magazine capacity on the CZ 75B is not a problem, check out our sticky! http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/27176-where-can-i-get-nj-compliant-15-round-mags-for-my/

You can very easily find great quality 15 round mags for a low price. Additionally, all CZ 75B parts are inexpensive and very available. Check out czcustom.com or cz-usa.com e-shop.

• Like 1

you dont need a safety for a DA/SA or striker gun. Gs, or decocker only, are highly sought after in the beretta community. if you find one, buy it. if i ever come across an inox G slide, id buy it myself.

true this! incase you absolutely need it, i vaguely remember now but i read somewhere to remove decoker there is a little ball you take out under the switch, it might be in reverse to add it, not 100% sure though beretta forums would know for sure...