imperialfish

Recommend me a pair of shooting glasses

After this passed weekends event at old bride all my cheep pairs of shooting glasses are going bye bye. The whole day i was fogging up and let me tell u it sucked. Can someone point me in the right direction im looking for a good quality pair that will last me a while and wont fog or scratch easily. Im looking at a few Oakley models are they really worth the high prices. What color lenses should i be looking to purchase.

try Rudy Project or Revision eye wear.

Rudy Project sponsors shooters in USPSA and offer a wide variety of choices.

Revision, on the otherhand, supplies the military. I won a pair of Hellfly's in a raffle in another forum. The glasses are well made. You can find video's on youtube for torture tests that these glasses are subjected too.

Good topic, I have been using my OK's also and they do very nicely for outdoor shooting in bright it semi cloudy days but go full cloud cover and they aren't that great and using a pair of normal safety glasses isn't cutting it, especially in the indoor ranges. So if you have the multi lens sets also to recommend to cover all condition that would be great also.

Harry

I've been looking hard at these...

http://www.esseyepro.com/ICE-Tactical-Kit_151_detail.html

The MSRP is $85, I've found them on line for as low as $69. I like them because they are a good value (quality for $$ spent) and are available with a prescription insert.

I believe that vjf915 just got a pair of these on Dvor, but it was a single set of temples & nosepiece with two different color lenses. He will be breaking them in this weekend at the IDPA match at Somerset.

Good luck with your search.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I believe that vjf915 just got a pair of these on Dvor, but it was a single set of temples & nosepiece with two different color lenses. He will be breaking them in this weekend at the IDPA match at Somerset.

I did pick up a pair that has one frame, three different lenses (clear, smoke, and yellow), a cleaning cloth, and a hard carrying case. They're very lightweight, and comfortable on your face. They provide very good coverage for your eyes, it would be a pretty tough angle for any kind of debris to get into your eyes. The ends of the frame are bendable, so you can fit them to your head however you like. They can supposedly withstand birdshot, although I'm not sure what size. I'm happy, I got my set for $55 shipped.

Edit: My only complaint is that having a second frame could be very useful, as it's not terribly easy to change lenses. If you can find them for a good deal, a set with two frames would be a good idea.

hiker88 any problems with lens fogging up

ess ice tactical also look good

anyone else, Im looking for a pair I will be able to use all weather conditions without issues.

In my paintball it was critical to have a good set up lenses you can shoot what you cant see. :icon_e_ugeek:

Ed - I haven't worn mine a lot yet as I use my prescription glasses when I go out and shoot. However, Revision does offer anti-fog lens wipes.

I have a few pair of WileyX glasses that I've been using for years. They're around the same price range that you're looking. I have a pair of the old Romer II's, new Romer II's, and Light Adjusting Brick. I like the Light Adjusting lenses because I don't have to swap the lenses out when it goes from cloudy to sunny or covered range to the field.

Ed - I haven't worn mine a lot yet as I use my prescription glasses when I go out and shoot. However, Revision does offer anti-fog lens wipes.

I did see that they offer anti fog wipes. Wouldn't this solve the fog issues with cheap eye protection?

Ryan

I've been looking hard at these...

http://www.esseyepro.com/ICE-Tactical-Kit_151_detail.html

+1 on recommending these. They are very comfortable and lightweight yet provide excellent protection around your eyes (including top, bottom, and sides). I've never actually changed the lens color, as I only shoot indoors and use the clear lens, but it's a nice option to have yellow and dark shade lens too. Not bad price either, you can find them online for good prices.

I remember the shop where I bought my snorkeling gear told me the same exact thing. I thought he was joking but it does work. Will try the wipes first and resort to the spit as a last resort!

Like Hooper did in Jaws:)

I am going to try those wipes only cheapies too

I'm another fan of WileyX. I got a pair in a swag bag awhile back when they were doing base tours, and they've done their job for years now.

In the same vein, I'm considering prescription ballistic glasses, any suggestions?

Tactical Monkey can you provide me with direct link i did a search and could not find them.. Thanks

http://www.opticsplanet.net/revision-military-eyewear-sawfly-eyeshield-u-s-military-kit.html

They offer different frame sizes, but I just ordered the "regular". Mine came with the case, Clear lens, and Smoke lens (same as in link) but DVOR had them for $55. And since DVOR and Opticsplanet are one in the same, you could wait it out for a cheaper price it don't need them right away.

I like my pair A LOT. They are very comfortable and ballistic rated.

ESS ICE- I've got a bunch of these in the 3 lenses, every now then cheap off epay. My son in the Marines was actually issued these and gave me my first pr. Also I'm prety sure that Oakly is now the parent co of ESS now. I keep several in the frames of each cause swapping can be a little pia when its cold out. -Which reminds me, gotta check out the script lense now I got me some specs

Thanks siderman - don't know why I didn't think of Ebay right off the bat. Just bought a set of ESS ICE 2X glasses. This is the issue kit with two complete glasses - one smoke, one clear with all the accessories (strap, lense cloth, anti-fog solution, semi-hard case) for $29.95 with free shipping.

Next listing down was the nylon prescription insert (the nylon one is also military issue) good for prescriptions up to + or - 11. Got that for $14.99 with free shipping also (different vendor).

Will have my optician make up the inserts. May just go single vision - set for the distance to the front sight, rather than progressive lenses, to save money, and I'm probably due for a Rx change soon anyway. Idea was to do all this "on the cheap", but get good quality optics. If they're good enough for the military, they're good enough for me. Besides, based on the price of hammers sold to the military, they probably buy these for about $500 a pair, which allows them to be sold in the civilian market for $30 :icon_mrgreen: .

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I bought the Revision eyewear and so far I'm impressed with them.

note:

"Enter the code AR15NEWS into the discount code field during checkout to receive 30% off MSRP on up to 5 items. The code is already active and doesn’t have an expiration date.

This code applies to all Revision Eyewear products but is not valid for the cost of filling prescriptions."

I used it and it worked fine for me about 6 weeks ago.

:-)

TheWombat