DngrZne

NJ gun law / Manufacturing idea

In NJ you cannot manufacture firearms without a state manufacturing license and an 02 FFL, even if it's for your own personal use. Bending 80% flats into receivers is considered manufacturing in NJ.

Just imagine what could have happened back in the 70's, and 80's in metal shop class in HS...

Harry

Newbee :sarcastichand:

lol so I guess in most of the country one can "manufacturer" a gun for personal use?

what would happen if while living in PA I manufactured a gun similar to an M1 carbine.. and then several months later got tired of it and wanted to sell it to a NJ resident (providing of course it was not "substantially identical" to a named AW)?

To manufacture a firearm in the US federally speaking for sale (other than personal use) , as that is your plan in "federal waters" ... you will need an FFL. I'm pretty sure they require a good ole' dry land address to be listed for the premises where the firearms will be manufactured as part of the license application. GPS coordinates to some point in US territorial waters would most likely not suffice.

Regardless, I give you applause for creative thinking!

so.....i see this has not gotten a hit in 2 months,but just where and how does n.j. say u cant make a firearm for personal use,if its a legal gun where is there a law saying you cant?its must be hidden somewhere in the years of thick law books .any links to it?

http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/njac-title13-ch54.pdf

3:54-4.2 Registration required

No person shall manufacture or sell at wholesale any firearm or part of a firearm unless he has been registered by the

Superintendent under the provisions of this chapter.

Sorry to revive an old topic, but I wonder if anyone has anymore insight into this. AKs are fringe items, but according to the NJSP (not worth much), it's OKAY ...for now..but the law doesn't define what "type" is in the list of banned items. Assuming you're okay with owning an NJ compliant long arm that has an AK style action, what stance do you guys have on bending one, putting some of your own serials on it  all out of state, and then bringing it back in state to finish off/drill/tap/rivet/etc All of which would be for personal use.