Blue1

transport question

I normally transport my handguns locked inside a locked case with empty mags in the trunk. Also in the trunk is an unlocked bag with ammo, muffs, glasses, etc.

Can I load my mags and keep them in the bag with the other ammo? Can I load speedloaders and keep them in the bag?

Thanks,

Blue1

As long as they are separate. As in, to my understanding (IANAL), not loaded into the gun. More voices will chime in, probably with more experience and understanding than I have. I keep mine in a range bag, with many individual pockets that meet MY definition of separate. Listen to the wise advice that Im sure will follow, and take all of the info and decide what works best for you.

You should probably not load your mags and transport them that way. While I think it is difficult for anyone to say a loaded mag could be construed as a loaded gun, apparently there was a court case in NJ, handled by Nappen, that said otherwise. I don't have the details as to what exactly happened, but why take the chance.

Ammo does not need to stored separate from the gun when transporting, the law says only that the gun can't be loaded.

Can I load my mags and keep them in the bag with the other ammo? Can I load speedloaders and keep them in the bag?

Short answers: YES and YES

Long Answers:

9/24/2011

transport question

9/12/2011

Going to the Range without my COE

9/10/2011

Question about transporting

8/14/2011

vacation shooting

8/9/2011

Can I bring guns over state lines for target shooting? (NJ to PA)

8/8/2011

Transportation question

8/6/2011

FID Card question.... :-/

8/2/2011

Transportation Question 3

7/28/2011

Transportation Question 2

7/25/2011

How do you transport guns, mags and ammo to the range?

7/13/2011

transport question

5/21/2011

Transport Laws - Range bag, handgun in bag

4/4/2011

firearms transport

2/27/2011

Firearm transport while on foot (without CCW permit)

1/29/2011

Transport handgun to parents' house from out-of-state for 1 week sta

1/4/2011

Authorization to Transport Handgun to a Range

12/23/2010

FID for transport?

12/21/2010

Transport Statute

12/12/2010

(Another) Transportation Thread

12/11/2010

transportation

8/25/2010

Transport to PA

7/14/2010

nj transport laws

7/12/2010

How strict is the "transport directly to and from the range"

3/30/2010

transport question

2/15/2010

How to transport firearms AND ammo?

2/9/2010

I understand that transportation of hollow point ammo is

1/4/2010

Transport Pistol to range questions

7/13/2009

Transport and use hollow point ammunition in New Jersey!

4/23/2009

How do you transport your firearm(s) to and from the range?

• Like 1

Guns need to be transported unloaded. Sometimes the police/court will define a loaded gun as a gun with a loaded magazine in close proximity. An unloaded gun locked in a locked case with loaded magazines in another bag is probably ok. Probably. Personally, I would transport everything unloaded, ammo in a separate case and load at the range just to be on the conservative side but there is not a clear legal requirement to do so.

• Like 1

There is no requirement for magazines to be unloaded (assuming they are not inserted into the firearm).

There is no requirement for the ammunition to be in a separate bag/case/compartment from the firearm.

If the firearm is in a locked trunk, there is no requirement for the case they are in to be locked.

Anything to the contrary is not a requirement, only a suggestion by someone who is likely paranoid because of this states reputation.

• Like 4

Because my range time is rare and precious and because I purchased so many spare mags with the concept of spend your time shooting not reloading,I transport with unloaded guns in locked hard case and the balance of range gear, including loaded mags,speed loaders and extra ammo in a separate bag{I drive a estate wagon}. I do believe this has to be one of the most frequently asked questions on this forum and one of the first I asked also.As johnoutdoors quite succinctly said ,you have to decide what works for you and satisfies your comfort level.

• Like 1

There is no requirement for magazines to be unloaded (assuming they are not inserted into the firearm).

There is no requirement for the ammunition to be in a separate bag/case/compartment from the firearm.

If the firearm is in a locked trunk, there is no requirement for the case they are in to be locked.

Anything to the contrary is not a requirement, only a suggestion by someone who is likely paranoid because of this states reputation.

+234234245423

:good: :good: :clapping: :clapping: :good: :good:

Harry