NCBound73

transporting from NJ to DE

You are OK to travel with a New Jersey compliant long arm (i.e. rifle and/or shotgun) throughout New Jersey. I think you need to find the laws pertinent to the Delaware side of the border. I would have to think they would be less stringent than ours, so it would be OK. But that is complete conjecture on my part. Look up the Delaware laws related to firearms and decide based on them.

http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbystate/p/gunlaws_de.htm

Not without an FID. Without it, to and from range, etc., only.

I'd think traveling to a range out side of the state would fall under those conditions you listed. And from a Federal stand point, its covered any way under Federal Transport laws. As long as he doesn't stop at a strip bar or something he should be fine.

Not without an FID. Without it, to and from range, etc., only.

I may be wrong, but I believe that the travel restrictions you mention (i.e. to and from range with no detours) apply ONLY to handguns. And you do not need to possess a NJ Firearms ID to own or travel with a firearm. It will just make your life easier when a police officer who doesn't know the finer details of this State's firearms laws hassles you for not having one.

I may be wrong, but I believe that the travel restrictions you mention (i.e. to and from range with no detours) apply ONLY to handguns. And you do not need to possess a NJ Firearms ID to own or travel with a firearm. It will just make your life easier when a police officer who doesn't know the finer details of this State's firearms laws hassles you for not having one.

Yup, you're wrong :sarcastichand:

The restrictions apply to everyone without a carry permit. A FPID is a long gun carry permit. A CCW is a handgun carry permit. If you don't have one or the other, all transport must fall within the stated exemptions for that type of firearm.

You are not specifically required to have your FPID on you when you transport long guns, but it will sure help if you need to prove you have one. I'm unclear on the CCW laws, as in, are you required to carry your ccw license at all times while you are carrying(It would make sense if you are), but without one, to and from the range/smith/hunt/home only.

not_this_shit_again.jpg

Some people will say you are not covered by Federal Law. To this I say bs. These same people will say you can bring your firearms into NJ without any permits or FPID (this is true), but you can not take them out of state, ever again without the permits or FPID, even if you move. Again, bs.

• Like 3

I'd think traveling to a range out side of the state would fall under those conditions you listed.

Would it fall under these conditions? This is what I quoted in my response, please don't change the subject:

You are OK to travel with a New Jersey compliant long arm (i.e. rifle and/or shotgun) throughout New Jersey.

BTW, it seems Lunker just learned that fact because I pointed it out. Good for him, and good that it has been clarified for any new people that read this thread for NJ gun info.

Yup, you're wrong :sarcastichand:

The restrictions apply to everyone without a carry permit. A FPID is a long gun carry permit. A CCW is a handgun carry permit. If you don't have one or the other, all transport must fall within the stated exemptions for that type of firearm.

You are not specifically required to have your FPID on you when you transport long guns, but it will sure help if you need to prove you have one. I'm unclear on the CCW laws, as in, are you required to carry your ccw license at all times while you are carrying(It would make sense if you are), but without one, to and from the range/smith/hunt/home only.

Thanks. I had my laws mixed and matched incorrectly. I knew that the travel restrictions did not apply to long arms, but clearly messed up the NJ FID part. I have been compliant in my travels because of my NJ FID card on my person. I guess I am a cautionary tale.

I think I put Paul off his lunch though. :)

Thanks. I had my laws mixed and matched incorrectly. I knew that the travel restrictions did not apply to long arms, but clearly messed up the NJ FID part. I have been compliant in my travels because of my NJ FID card on my person. I guess I am a cautionary tale.

I think I put Paul off his lunch though. :)

Yup. Thank goodness for Malsua. If only I had caught it sooner you'd be thanking me :p

(hint: You should be thanking me)

Took my wifes 870 for a ride to Deleware with me this past week. Brought it, my FID card, and a full case of #7 1/2. We went shooting while waiting for a rain delay to end during our Drag Racing. Was the most interesting way we have ever shot clays!

Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated. I don't go anywhere without my FID, I specifically buy PJs with pockets so I can sleep with it on me. As far as stopping at the strip club, I don't think it'll be very conducive with my old lady in tow. Unless I spring for a couple's lap dance....................

you can not take them out of state, ever again without the permits or FPID, even if you move. Again, bs.

Thanks for saying that.

NJ law covers transporting a handgun for specific reasons. There are many lawful purposes that are not covered by these specific reasons. If you are leaving on Friday to go to DE to go shooting at a range there on Saturday and returning home on Sunday it appears you have defined a lawful purpose under NJ law. You have to be concerned with DE law in DE and NJ law in NJ. As long as you go directly from your home to DE and return from DE directly from your home you are complying with NJ law. Neither state can project its laws farther than their border in regards to transportation laws.

My answer to this is the same as it was in this thread:

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/27299-ocean-city-police-charge-man-with-weapons-offenses/page__st__80

Read my post #89. If someone arrested in NJ while transporting a handgun in a legal manner for a legal purpose in another state the case would most likely be dismissed. Prosecutor would call the AG as there is little, if any, case law on the issue. NJ restrictions would be found unreasonable under Heller and McDonald and NJ would have to change their laws. Better to not bring it up and leave thingss they are in NJ as far as the AG would be concerned.

Some people will say you are not covered by Federal Law. To this I say bs. These same people will say you can bring your firearms into NJ without any permits or FPID (this is true), but you can not take them out of state, ever again without the permits or FPID, even if you move. Again, bs.

Who says this? If you are moving, that's covered as you are going to your residence even if it's in another state. The statutes DO NOT mention the state of your final destination, only travel which is exempted and travel which is not exempted inside of New Jersey and yes, traveling with your firearms to fondle them on the other side of the state border is not an exempted activity. That is the LETTER of the law. In practice, it will never come to that for the reasons Griz elucidated in the post above this one.

Who says this? If you are moving, that's covered as you are going to your residence even if it's in another state. The statutes DO NOT mention the state of your final destination, only travel which is exempted and travel which is not exempted inside of New Jersey and yes, traveling with your firearms to fondle them on the other side of the state border is not an exempted activity. That is the LETTER of the law. In practice, it will never come to that for the reasons Griz elucidated in the post above this one.

It doesn't mention the state for an obvious reason. NJ statues only cover things IN NJ! If you are traveling outside of NJ, then you fall under FOPA, which was specifically created so states like NJ couldn't restrict otherwise legal transportation through their state. So no, that is not to "the LETTER of the law".

• Like 1

It doesn't mention the state for an obvious reason. NJ statues only cover things IN NJ! If you are traveling outside of NJ, then you fall under FOPA, which was specifically created so states like NJ couldn't restrict otherwise legal transportation through their state. So no, that is not to "the LETTER of the law".

The Law in NJ is clear. You're talking about FOPA. It has to get in front of a judge before it can be dismissed under FOPA, prior to that you would still be in violation of the statutes of NJ. So, yes, it's the letter of the law in NJ.

THIS

X 100 million...

So why did you quote something, then say "Who says this?", when you are in fact saying that? Now I'm confused.

And thank you for telling me I was talking about FOPA, when I did in fact say I was talking about FOPA. I must not have known.

Malsua,

So you are saying that if someone was driving to Maine with their pistol and was stopped in NJ, they would be arrested and then the case would be dismissed because of FOPA?

You mean, like this guy? (and yeah, I get it, he wasn't storing them properly, in Texas no one would have cared)

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/national/northeast/view/2009_03_21_NJ_police_seize_gun_cache_from_man_dozing_in_car/

NJ police seize gun cache from man dozing in car

By Associated Press

Saturday, March 21, 2009 - Added 3 years ago

EmailE-mail PrintablePrint Comments(2) Comments LargerSmallerText size Bookmark and Share Share

READINGTON, N.J. - Police investigating a man sleeping in his car in central New Jersey got a lot more than they bargained for.

The man was dozing in a green sport-utility vehicle parked behind a Wachovia Bank in Readington early Friday morning.

When police approached, they saw two guns on the back seat. Dustin Reininger told them he also had a handgun and an assault rifle.

That turned out to be only part of the story.

After towing the car to police headquarters, 23 rifles were discovered, including five classified as assault weapons.

Reininger, who is listed as living in Rockport, Texas, said he had the guns because he was moving. He’s been charged with weapons offenses and is being held in Hunterdon County Jail on $100,000 bail.

So why did you quote something, then say "Who says this?", when you are in fact saying that? Now I'm confused.

And thank you for telling me I was talking about FOPA, when I did in fact say I was talking about FOPA. I must not have known.

What all of you seem to be missing is that NJ rules on where you can have a pistol aren't ambiguous and then turn that into someone saying you can't leave the state with a gun. One does not lead to the other. You say you are protected by FOPA, well guess what, you may be, you might not be, who the hell knows, you certainly aren't legal under the definitions of NJ law if you aren't traveling within the exemptions.

• Like 1

When police approached, they saw two guns on the back seat. Dustin Reininger told them he also had a handgun and an assault rifle.

This case doesn't seem to be covered by FOPA unless the guns on the back seat were cased and secured as required by the law. The police apparently found the rest of the guns after they arrested the guy and were doing an unventory search back at headquarters. It made no difference to wherever he was moving to as the guns were not properly cased and secured.

you are saying that if someone was driving to Maine with their pistol and was stopped in NJ, they would be arrested and then the case would be dismissed because of FOPA?

http://njsp.org/about/fire_trans.html

NJSP guidelines are pretty clear on the issue but leave a bit of discretion to the investigating officer.

• Like 1

What all of you seem to be missing is that NJ rules on where you can have a pistol aren't ambiguous and then turn that into someone saying you can't leave the state with a gun. One does not lead to the other. You say you are protected by FOPA, well guess what, you may be, you might not be, who the hell knows, you certainly aren't legal under the definitions of NJ law if you aren't traveling within the exemptions.

as someone already tried to point out to you.. the reason it is not spelled out in the law.. is because you are crossing state lines... you are LEAVING NJ.. FOPA already addresses this issue... so there is no need for NJ to further define it..

if what you state is true.. NJ airports would NOT allow you to fly out with a gun.. why? because the second you spend ONE moment where you are not going DIRECTLY to or from an excepted place.. you are violating the law.. there would be no logical way for you to comply... flying to FL for a pistol match? better not get a hotel.. better not grab a bite to eat..

your thought process on the issue lacks logic to me.. you are entitled to your opinion.. but do you seriously believe this is how the system works? if anything NJ would WANT you to take your guns with you.. hell that equates to one less gun here!

You mean, like this guy? (and yeah, I get it, he wasn't storing them properly, in Texas no one would have cared)

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/national/northeast/view/2009_03_21_NJ_police_seize_gun_cache_from_man_dozing_in_car/

NJ police seize gun cache from man dozing in car

By Associated Press

Saturday, March 21, 2009 - Added 3 years ago

EmailE-mail PrintablePrint Comments(2) Comments LargerSmallerText size Bookmark and Share Share

READINGTON, N.J. - Police investigating a man sleeping in his car in central New Jersey got a lot more than they bargained for.

The man was dozing in a green sport-utility vehicle parked behind a Wachovia Bank in Readington early Friday morning.

That turned out to be only part of the story.

After towing the car to police headquarters, 23 rifles were discovered, including five classified as assault weapons.

Reininger, who is listed as living in Rockport, Texas, said he had the guns because he was moving. He’s been charged with weapons offenses and is being held in Hunterdon County Jail on $100,000 bail.

FOPA clearly states guns should be inaccessible.. this case clearly has nothing to do with FOPA...

next please?

really though.. the fact that you are trying to PROVE that you can not leave NJ with your own property says it all.. it shows who we the gun community need to be MOST concerned with.. and that is not Christie.. or an anti gun AG.. they don't even need to speak a word.. they have you SO spooked that you wont even leave the state with your own property.. and if we are ever going to get ANY rights people within the community have to stop acting SO GUILTY...

do your self a favor.. call the NJSP.. ask them.. tell them.. you are traveling to a friends house in PA to stay for a few days.. he has 30+ acres and you plan to do a little target shooting on his land (NOT a range)... ask if you just transport your gun to PA the same way I would to a range? and I am willing to bet that the answer they will NOT give is "sir that is not an exception within NJ law you should know once a handgun is in NJ it can NEVER leave"

and I say that sincerely.. I really hope you do.. so you can put that demon to rest..

• Like 1

PROVE that you can not leave NJ with your own property says it all

Again, you guys keep bringing this up.

You are moving to a different state, you can leave NJ with your property.

You are going to a range in a different state, you can leave NJ with your property.

You are going to a gunsmith in a different state, you can leave NJ with your property.

You are going to hunt in a different state, you can leave NJ with your property.

You are going to your business in a different state, you can leave NJ with you property.

because you are crossing state lines... you are LEAVING NJ

There is no definition nor clarification that FOPA covers you in your home state. Even the link Griz posted above BOLDS the word THROUGH and that's from the NJ state police. Are you traveling through NJ when you're on the road in front of your house? You have not left the state yet.

The federal government enacts laws to apply in the states based on the commerce clause. The commerce clause concerns interstate activity. Before you leave and cross the border, have you engaged in interstate activity? You have intent to, you have every reason to believe you will, but you have not yet. Does it count? Yes or no? The question has not been answered. In fact, the guy in PAFOA attempted to get it answered and got no answer.

NJ airports would NOT allow you to fly out with a gun.. why? because the second you spend ONE moment where you are not going DIRECTLY to or from an excepted place.. you are violating the law.

Again, I don't agree that this fails FOPA protection because you're sitting there waiting for the plane. Air travel is known for delays. Staying overnight was too long apparently.

do your self a favor.. call the NJSP.. ask them.. tell them.. you are traveling to a friends house in PA to stay for a few days.. he has 30+ acres and you plan to do a little target shooting on his land (NOT a range).

"Place of practice" is covered.

it shows who we the gun community need to be MOST concerned with
'

Yeah, I get it. I'm the problem. Not Lautenberg or Paula Dow nor years of state politicians. It's a guy on a gun forum. Makes sense.

• Like 2

look.. i was not calling YOU the problem... but what is the problem is the extreme guilt and paranoia gun owners are forced to have..

the thing I said about calling the state police.. think about it.. call them..

actually dont.. I just did it for you.. this is how it went...

"I will be spending a week or two at my friends farm in PA and doing a little target shooting.. how do I transport my gun to PA.."

"while in NJ it has to be in the trunk away from the driver...but you will have to call PA to see what laws they have"

"oh ok great yeah I already checked in PA and it is fine there.. I was just checking because I know NJ is strict and I am not going directly to the range or anything but I figured since I am leaving the state it is ok?"

"no no no you are fine.. just make sure you check with PA.. but in NJ if it is in the trunk away from the driver you are fine"

I apologize for coming off harsh.. but even the STATE POLICE firearms division who KNEW I was not going to a place of exception.. I CLEARLY stated I was just going to a friends farm to hang out for a week or two and maybe doing some shooting.. OBVIOUSLY not directly to or from anywhere.. and they has ZERO issue with it...

I am pretty confident you can transport your gun otu of the state..

so are the people are the NJ state police firearms division..

so really I would not worry about it as long is it is being transported away from the driver (in trunk or in locked box (SUV))

again really no hard feelings..

and if YOU still somehow do not agree... I will just agree to disagree...

• Like 3

look.. i was not calling YOU the problem... but what is the problem is the extreme guilt and paranoia gun owners are forced to have..

the thing I said about calling the state police.. think about it.. call them..

actually dont.. I just did it for you.. this is how it went...

I apologize for coming off harsh.. but even the STATE POLICE firearms division who KNEW I was not going to a place of exception.. I CLEARLY stated I was just going to a friends farm to hang out for a week or two and maybe doing some shooting.. OBVIOUSLY not directly to or from anywhere.. and they has ZERO issue with it...

I am pretty confident you can transport your gun otu of the state..

so are the people are the NJ state police firearms division..

so really I would not worry about it as long is it is being transported away from the driver (in trunk or in locked box (SUV))

again really no hard feelings..

and if YOU still somehow do not agree... I will just agree to disagree...

I don't disagree with you, but the answer to where are you going (if you choose to answer that question at all) when stopped by the cops in NJ with firearms in the car should always be to a range or gunsmith or home or other property you have. Why take a chance (as small as it may be) you get a cop and prosecutor who find a way to ruin your life.

NJ laws are absurd, and most people in law enforcement know it. Answering questions properly is just common sense.