oofogbp

New RPD Question

I love it.

Not the most pratical but it's a blast to shoot.

My only complaint is not having a 100rd belt to really let loose lol.

Oh and refrence the manual, I found a good video on YouTube for field stripping it so I'm set.

I'll post some pics tomorrow

I have been trying to figure out why belts must be limited to 15 rounds, but I have failed to apply the law in this instance. :roulette:

I thought about this one also. To most people, if you showed them a belt and asked them what it is, they would not respond with "a type of container". That being said, looking up the definition of "container", here is the only way i can see it applying...

The most basic definition of a container is "An object that can be used to hold or transport something", thus if the belt (object) is used to hold more than 15 rounds to be fed continuously, then it would apply.

"y."Large capacity ammunition magazine" means a box, drum, tube or other container which is capable of holding more than 15 rounds of ammunition to be fed continuously and directly therefrom into a semi-automatic firearm."

Okay. I'll bite. Regarding a linked belt, what is the container? One link, two, fifteen, sixteen, one-hundred, etc..?

Why not link a dummy round into the 16th position? It would be like hooking two magazines together with a mag coupler.

• Like 1

Okay. I'll bite. Regarding a linked belt, what is the container? One link, two, fifteen, sixteen, one-hundred, etc..?

Why not link a dummy round into the 16th position? It would be like hooking two magazines together with a mag coupler.

The container would technically be the assembled belt (object being used to hold ammunition), thus if the assembled belt is capable of holding more than 15 rounds that can be fed continuously into a SA firearm, it could potentially meet the definition of a "large capacity magazine" according to NJ law.

I don't think the dummy round thing would work, as that would be akin to having a 30 round box magazine, and loading it with 15 dummy and 15 live rounds. Maybe if you smashed or pinned a dowel the 16th link, that would work, as it would be incapable of being used to feed more than 15 rounds continuously. This would be like putting a block/pin/etc (legal for owners in NJ to do, but not for dealers since they have to follow NJAC revised definition of the statutes) in a 30rnd box mag to make it only take 15 rounds.

con·tain·erNoun/kənˈtānər/

1. An object that can be used to hold or transport something.

Here's a better question about the whole "container" thing -

I see Punk Rock bullet belts and such at punk stores, as well as army navy stores. Not just the cheap fake kind, but I mean the belts made from actual 2 dozen dummy rounds on a real belt meant for an M60 or something.

NY has a similar law, specifically naming belts, but you can find Bullet Belts all over St. Marks in the city for sale.

Kind of ironic, to think people are walking around with no idea that the belts on their waist could land them in prison for almost a decade.

You need to get a crank for that thing.

Congrats. Actually, I think you just convinced me to get one. That thing is beautiful.

One of my buddies (in NJ) has been trying to talk me into buying a parts kit and make one. Because I want a semiauto beltfed that is man portable and not expensive. All the ones designed for the SAW role (M60/M249/Shrike/HK51/etc.) are extremely expensive except for this. I have a semi 1919A4 but that's a tripod only gun IMO.

Here's a better question about the whole "container" thing -

I see Punk Rock bullet belts and such at punk stores, as well as army navy stores. Not just the cheap fake kind, but I mean the belts made from actual 2 dozen dummy rounds on a real belt meant for an M60 or something.

NY has a similar law, specifically naming belts, but you can find Bullet Belts all over St. Marks in the city for sale.

Kind of ironic, to think people are walking around with no idea that the belts on their waist could land them in prison for almost a decade.

Probably illegal but ignored, much like the fact that in NJ hollow point BULLETS are illegal to possess outside of the exemptions, this is regardless of whether or not they are actually loaded ammunition or just the bullets. In theory you could be charged with illegal hollow point bullet possession for having one of those bullet key chains.

Awesome to see an RPD in NJ! I never considered getting a belt fed before given how nutty NJ laws are, but I guess if your belts are only 15 rds and the weapon complies otherwise, why not??!!

So then the next question is, RPD or PKM? :icon_twisted:

TFD

I just discovered this forum (and this thread). A real RPD?! How sweet! I get that you figured out the stripping and assembly via YouTube, but if you do have a manual in Russian and are interested in getting an English translation, I can do that for you. Scan or snap pics of the pages and PM me for email, or we could meet in person somewhere (I am in Bergen county)...

if a belt is a ammunition container...

then isn't multiple links the same as a parts kit for a 30 round mag...

as it has the potential to feed more than 15 continuous rounds...

if you own more than 15 links.. how would that be any different than a disassembled 30 round mag..

y. "Large capacity ammunition magazine" means a box, drum, tube or other container which is capable of holding more than 15 rounds of ammunition to be fed continuously and directly therefrom into a semi-automatic firearm.

16 links can hold more than 15 rounds that can be fed continuously...

IMO, the legislatures did not consider or have any idea about linked amunition, hence did not include it in the definition of a large capacity magazine within the law. It is not defined or banned, however, the intent of the law was to restrict the ammunition capacity to 15 rounds. YMMV.