SJG

Ammo Warning

Two weeks ago I purchased some brass 7.62 ammo from Sarco the ammo says:"15 Komaja, 7.62 MM Metak" It is not Russian and I forget what country it is from. I decided to try a few boxes because it was about $3.50 per box and it was brass, not steel core, but a FMJ type bullet. I would not recommend this ammo. One of the brass rounds fractured/split and I was luck the bullet made it out of the bore and I was able to extract the bullet with a pair of pliers from the bore, as it did not eject. There is no visible damage to the bore or the rifle. I am attaching the box the ammo came in and a picture of the split casing.

post-3021-0-96066000-1317870146_thumb.jpg

post-3021-0-92001300-1317870166_thumb.jpg

post-3021-0-64352200-1317870176_thumb.jpg

Im looking at that casing thinking you should have the chamber checked..

Are you seeing the fire formed expansion that is in the middle of the case? I noticed thats pretty blown out

Ok, here is a really stupid question as the pics are really blurry and you left out big details.

What gun did you fire this out of?

is this 7.62x39? or 7.62x51

the case looks highly deformed.

Is that LC on the headstamp?

It says M67 on the box, so it is a 7.62x39.

Ok, here is a really stupid question as the pics are really blurry and you left out big details.

What gun did you fire this out of?

is this 7.62x39? or 7.62x51

the case looks highly deformed.

Is that LC on the headstamp?

The M67 is Yugo surplus. The headstamp should be NNY. I have shot thousands of rounds of this stuff and absolutely love it. For me it has been the BEST x39 ammo I can get my hands on.

The headstamp on this round has these initials, each one appears in its own quadrant L C C the last one is hard to read and deformed. I opened a new box of it and notice that other rounds in the box have a headstamp that says NK and the year 1980. It looks to me like they mixed in some with a different headstamp and this is a new box I just opened. I am going to get rid of the rounds that have the L C C headstamp, maybe the brass is crap and the quality control is clearly absent.

It was fired out of a 7.62 Saiga. When it went off, it sounded like a small pop, not like a regular round. It did eject the bullet, I checked the bore thoroughly and it was clear with no visible damage.

I don't shoot 7.62x39 but is it possible for it to chamber a 7.62x51 round? Would not seal hence the issue? Quite wired especially since you say they had different headstamps.

Nope. 7.62 NATO has a longer casing than 7.62 WP... It wouldn't even fit in the mag.

Maybe the Saiga is a 7.62 X 51 chamber and he put the X39 round in.... That would explain the ruptured case in the middle.... While the X51 will not go into battery in the smaller receiver, will the X39 go into battery in the larger X51? It just might...

It really does look like someone tried to fire form the X39 to a larger dimension than the brass can handle due to stretch and wall thickness...

It is time to look not only at the ammo but the rifle as well for chamber tolerances....

OP

give us more information on your gun ,, Is it 51 or 39 ?

By the way the case is popped I say it would never form that way in the chamber of a 39.

A split I can understand not a rupture.

Was this the only round fired ?

If anyone has any of the bad corrosive Yugo ammo you can sell it to me cheep :)

I am suspecting that is not 7.62x39 ammo.. LCC that is lake city ammo NO?

Either way i would have that rifle checked by a qualified gunsmith before firing it again..

Call and talk to these guy's..

http://www.traksgunsmithing.com/

7.62x39

Before fired 75 rounds of 7.62x39 steel and then switched to this brass brand and fired at least 25 of it without issue

Used needle nose to extract this one, which was protruding slightly from rear of barrel

I went through the remaining boxes of this I have-4 and do need see a round with similar headstamp mark.

Was not shooting anything else but this rifle and only had ammo for it with me.

I think I figured it out. This round cannot be a 7.62x39, it has to be a 223 or 556 round. I must have picked this round up off the floor or on the shooters bench and loaded it in my mag without realizing it and fired it out of my rifle. I compared the round to a 223/556 and that is what it looks like to me.

I think I figured it out. This round cannot be a 7.62x39, it has to be a 223 or 556 round. I must have picked this round up off the floor or on the shooters bench and loaded it in my mag without realizing it and fired it out of my rifle. I compared the round to a 223/556 and that is what it looks like to me.

explains a lot.

I am suspecting that is not 7.62x39 ammo.. LCC that is lake city ammo NO?

Either way i would have that rifle checked by a qualified gunsmith before firing it again..

Call and talk to these guy's..

http://www.traksgunsmithing.com/

nope LC is Lake city, the Chinese made carbine ammo and a slew of other ammo under the name of LC, heck we made "bad" ammo and dropped it elsewhere during Vietnam hoping to blow uncle HO up.

But to help clarify NK NNK NNY, and PPU are all the head stamps for Prvi Partizan the company that made it.