Krdshrk

Franklin Armory’s New AR-15 Is Neither A Pistol Nor A Rifle

11.5", and overall length is just over 23"

But here's the thing - it's not classified as a rifle so there should be no 16" restriction.

you are talking about federal law... there is also NJ law.. in which taking a quick look it does not appear to satisfy NJ legal definition for pistol OR rifle (mirroring what you saw)

we all know that you can fire a light caliber semi auto from the shoulder with just a foam coated buffer tube.. so NJ MAY argue that it is meant to be fired from the shoulder thus making it a rifle.. but who knows?

Just buy them. Don't ask the NJSP for permission prior or they may rule to take them away! :p

if you want one.. this is probably the best course of action.. read the law.. understand the law.. and proceed.. might be tough getting someone to do the transfer?

OK, I'm confused. NJ laws aside, according to the manufacturer, this is not a pistol, handgun, AOW or SBR......so what the heck is it???

I read the ATF letter, and while I am sure the manufacturer had it fully vetted by an attorney, I'm not seeing where it states this is not an SBR. It states that it does not meet the definition of a pistol or handgun and also that it is not an AOW - it does NOT specifically state that it is not an SBR. Maybe I'm missing something. Here's the letter...

http://www.franklinarmory.com/XO-26_Letter__c_.pdf

We would have to know how it is classified in order to determine if it can be sold under state law.

What say you?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

OK, I'm confused. NJ laws aside, according to the manufacturer, this is not a pistol, handgun, AOW or SBR......so what the heck is it???

I read the ATF letter, and while I am sure the manufacturer had it fully vetted by an attorney, I'm not seeing where it states this is not an SBR. It states that it does not meet the definition of a pistol or handgun and also that it is not an AOW - it does NOT specifically state that it is not an SBR. Maybe I'm missing something. Here's the letter...

http://www.franklinarmory.com/XO-26_Letter__c_.pdf

We would have to know how it is classified in order to determine if it can be sold under state law.

What say you?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

It's in the wonderful part of the law where the law simply did not cover... the loophole.

while they don't specifically say if it is a SBR or not, it does look like they're comparing it to the thompson a5 and the loopholes that jumped through

i did find this showing the firearm in action.

in the video and on their website they market it as a pistol

edit: according to them under cali law it is defined as a pistol

IMO, it is not legal in NJ.

It will transfer Federally as a pistol-gripped firearm, like a Mossberg 500 with only a pistol grip and no stock, to a person 21YOA or older. In NJ, a firearm can only be transferred as a long gun or a handgun. This firearm can not transfer as a long gun because of the barrel length. It also can not transfer as a handgun due to its weight.

• Like 2

NJ won't buy that it is not a rifle nor a pistol being it is "designed to be fired with two hands because of the forward grip" hence not a pistol, and will classify this as a pistol due to the barrel length and lack of a stock. Well over the NJ weight limit for a pistol , so a no go. Federal law looks at AR lowers as AOW's , but NJ views them as rifles for instance.. they want to see one or the other.

That reminds me of the SlideFireSolution according to NJ State Police is illegal here, it doesn't matter what the ATF says.

Where did this come from? I was not aware of any ruling - besides the NJSP enforce the laws, not make them (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)

Where did this come from? I was not aware of any ruling - besides the NJSP enforce the laws, not make them (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)

We were going to setup a dealer account, but we got an email from our NJSP "inspector" and told us that it was illegal here in New Jersey after he "NJSP" brought it up to his superiors and the NJ AG. =@ =@

IMO, it is not legal in NJ.

It will transfer Federally as a pistol-gripped firearm, like a Mossberg 500 with only a pistol grip and no stock, to a person 21YOA or older. In NJ, a firearm can only be transferred as a long gun or a handgun. This firearm can not transfer as a long gun because of the barrel length. It also can not transfer as a handgun due to its weight.

This.. Sorry guys, but this thing is a ticket to a Indictable offense (Felony) Conviction in NJ.

That reminds me of the SlideFireSolution according to NJ State Police is illegal here, it doesn't matter what the ATF says.

Hi All,

I'm new here and I was wondering about this. I just read N. J.A.C. Title 13 Chapter 54, and nowhere does it say that bump fire "stocks" are illegal. I also searched and couldn't find any "official public ruling" on the Slide Fire stock. Granted the Slide Fire people would not mail one to me here in The People's Republic of New Jersey. I asked one of the cops up at RTSP range here in Randolph, NJ if these things were legal. He told me the nobody knows as he had no knowledge of any specific challenges to the law here.

I'm thinking about contacting Evan Nappen's office (they say they're available for quick Q&A's via email). Will see what happens and report back.

Thanks.