BierGut

Time Period You Guys Have Been Seeing...

BTW, what determines the date-of-issue? Is that the day the Chief signs the permit or something else?

Yes. The 90 day clock starts ticking from the date the chief signs it. If you don't get it for a few weeks, it just means you have a smaller window to buy your gun(s).

Yes. The 90 day clock starts ticking from the date the chief signs it. If you don't get it for a few weeks, it just means you have a smaller window to buy your gun(s).

Unless I'm being lied to by local PD, it doesn't work this way here. The day they create/print the permits determines the issue date. Then it still has to be signed by the Chief. So, mine were printed/dated on the 14th and the Chief signed them this morning according to the women at the PD. That would certainly explain why my son's worked out the way they did, having a date a couple weeks prior to him getting them. The entire process blows, but at least I have these now.

Unless I'm being lied to by local PD, it doesn't work this way here. The day they create/print the permits determines the issue date. Then it still has to be signed by the Chief. So, mine were printed/dated on the 14th and the Chief signed them this morning according to the women at the PD. That would certainly explain why my son's worked out the way they did, having a date a couple weeks prior to him getting them. The entire process blows, but at least I have these now.

I was relaying the information I got from my town. I had asked because the chief was on vacation even though the permit was ready for two weeks. I will retract my original statement as "hearsay" and hope to hear something authoritative. Thanks for bringing it up.

I was relaying the information I got from my town. I had asked because the chief was on vacation even though the permit was ready for two weeks. I will retract my original statement as "hearsay" and hope to hear something authoritative. Thanks for bringing it up.

I understand that. I wasn't calling you out or anything like that. I was just explaining what I went through. Just in my short time doing this, I've come to the conclusion that each town does what they want, when they want, however they want, without regards to polies and/or procedures. We're the ones that pay for it too, by waiting these long-a** time periods.

I understand that. I wasn't calling you out or anything like that. I was just explaining what I went through. Just in my short time doing this, I've come to the conclusion that each town does what they want, when they want, however they want, without regards to polies and/or procedures. We're the ones that pay for it too, by waiting these long-a** time periods.

No offense taken. I just don't want anyone mistaking my opinion for a fact until it can be verified. NJ gun laws are difficult enough to navigate without this.

Well, I talked with an atty today, they said it would be a waste to get them involved at this point, to wait another month or so and follow up frequently with the PD. So I will call to set up an appt with the chief or LT after Thanksgiving. If it were 3 or more months at this point, he'd probably take it up. You all that have been waiting 6 months or more may want to consider getting an atty.

Yeah but how much is an attorney going to charge to put some pressure on a police department,is it going to be 2 or 3 handguns worth the funds? If that's the case its not worth fighting for me, I would rather go the distance and file a law suit against my town and put my court and lawyer fees in the suit. I think if everyone that's well over the reasonable time filed a suit with their towns, things might change.

A letter sent to the Chief would probably be first, and probably not too expensive, maybe an hour or two, with follow up. Couple hundred, maybe. A lawsuit would be wayyyy more expensive & time consuming, that's 1000s. Maybe get a discount or share the cost if there's several plaintiffs, if they can be found. I will try the calling of the Chief route myself, after my next call (o/a 1 Dec), in which I don't expect there to be much change. I am not hopeful I will get an audience with the Chief, but I will bug them about and leave messages as to why I am trying to set up such a meeting. Squeaky wheel!

Yeah but how much is an attorney going to charge to put some pressure on a police department,is it going to be 2 or 3 handguns worth the funds? If that's the case its not worth fighting for me, I would rather go the distance and file a law suit against my town and put my court and lawyer fees in the suit. I think if everyone that's well over the reasonable time filed a suit with their towns, things might change.

Well, I called Jax PD on the way back from APG today, since I was on the road. As usual, the ladies were nice and polite, but same story. Everything in, just waiting for the Capt (now) to look at it. I asked who was doing these things now,and was told a newly promoted Capt was just handed this job Monday. Teee-riffic. Asked about the backlog and was told it is large, and there's one pile for the Capt review and another that has been thru that and is awaiting the Chief's sig. I don't know this for a fact, but perhaps the Jax PD has not been issuing any P2P/FID at all for the last 6 months? Has ANYONE in Jackson applied for and received P2P/FID since May 11 or so? I wonder if it might be useful to get the State involved, as in Assyman Dancer. I dunno if him or his office would even entertain getting involved in a municipal issue at that level, but who else is there to complain to?

If I remember correctly, I turned in my paperwork around March 31st, and got my OK around May 7th or so. Of course, I pestered the crap out of my town, calling at least every week once the obligatory 6 weeks passed, and sending several emails over the course of the time to check on the status of my paperwork.

I recently put in for a Change of address on my FID & 2 pistol permits with the West Milford PD and saw an abysmal turn around time somewhere in the area of 90+ days. I'd love to say I called constantly and gave them [what would have been a much deserved] hard time over such nonsense, but work was so crazy that I didn't even realize so much time had passed until around the 80 day mark.

I sent in application on 10/26/2011 at West Orange PD for:

1 Replacement FPID

5 P2P, (already have 6 from Sept 2011 but realized I cannot find my FPID)

Called last Thursday 12/1 to check on them. They said they have the approval in hand and need to type up the permits and have the chief sign them.

12/8/2011 - Got a call today and the officer said my permits are ready. I asked him what about my FPID and he said: "what FPID?"

So apparently they forgot about the FPID. Luckily since they had the approval from the state they just need to type up a FPID. Overall 6 weeks which is slower than my usual request for additional permits.

I live in Woodbridge and I had high hopes for my FID/P2P

I filed my application on the day before Thanksgiving, but I wasn't able to get my morphotrak appointment until December 10th. Then, because of a little snafu with my pistol class, I had to reschedule that and was not able to get another morphotrak appointment until 12/28.

I was hoping to get the FID before Christmas, but no such luck. Now, I'm not sure how much this late printing appointment will screw things up for me. I wonder if I could add an additional Pistol Permit or two to this filing. I hadn't realized that you have to provide references EVERY time you get a permit....so, I only asked for one. I may not use more than one any time soon, but I don't want to be a bother to my friends who did the reference for the initial application.

:-(

I recently put in for a Change of address on my FID & 2 pistol permits with the West Milford PD and saw an abysmal turn around time somewhere in the area of 90+ days. I'd love to say I called constantly and gave them [what would have been a much deserved] hard time over such nonsense, but work was so crazy that I didn't even realize so much time had passed until around the 80 day mark.

Why didn't you use your existing pistol permits. I don't think an fpid is needed for theM

Why didn't you use your existing pistol permits. I don't think an fpid is needed for theM

I got really confused about what you meant until I reread my original word choice. I put in a request for a change of address on my FID as well as a request for 2 new pistol permits, as I did not have any. But, even if I did have permits at the time, I think everything would have been officially useless when I got my DL changed, permits included.

Exactly 30 days here is Ewing. I was told it would be 30 days and he didn't let me down. I was extremely lucky from what I have heard and read. Hope he didn't get my hopes too high for my inevitable next purchase.