MarkWVU02

Lower build kit

Going to order a palmetto state armory moe lower build kit. I see they sell extra lower parts individually. Is there any recommended parts I pick up spares for, like springs? Just don't want to start building and lose something or have it going across the room. Any help would be appreciated.

The pivot/takedown pin spring and detent are probably the parts most likley to go flying across the room never to be seen again. But if you do what I did, put the lower in a plastic bag while installing them, then you dont have to worry about them flying out cause the bag will catch them. Also using the razor blade method helps to keep the from flying around as well.

Got the build kit today. Everything seems solid. This is their generation 2 lpk which supposedly is an upgrade, but I'm new to this so I can't really tell you how it would compare to others. Looking forward to getting this thing together. I'm a little nervous since I've never built an AR before. Going to try to build it over the weekend with a friend of mine who has all the tools I'd need, although he's never built one either. Any suggestions before I attempt it...I'd love some advice or help. All i need now is a BCG and a rear sight and it'll be ready to shoot...I've been slowly building this thing for months and I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

you sound a liitle scared buddy don't be, I built my lower in less than 2 beers! hehe check my thread... but one thing you might wanna be careful of is make sure you install the trigger guard in the correct direction, i put mine in backwards and when I decided to change grips, I had some trouble pulling back out the roll pin since there was no exit hole for it to be tapped out, luckily I was able to get it out without scuffing the lower up, not that that matters...ps when I built mine up I didn't even use tape, I did it bareback baby!

Wow that was easy. My buddy was busy today so I was messing around with the lpk and the next thing you know it was installed. The only thing I didn't get on was the magpul trigger guard because I didn't have a hex key small enough. Didn't lose a thing.

it's a fairly easy build - i managed, and i'm not all that mechanically inclined. two things that make it much easier.

1) use extra punches to line up any springs

2) use the vise/plyer method to put in the roll pins

I used a hammer and one of those screwdrivers that had multiple attachments. One attachment was a small hex that was small enough to drive in the pins. I taped the hammer and the hex, then hammered them in. I taped off the lower where I was worried it would be scratched. Honestly much easier than I thought.

I would suggest a good punch set and a rubber hammer if you have one.

For that tricky front takedown detent I slid the spring and detent in and held them down with a thin butter knife then slid the takedown pin in. You could also use a razor blade. I don't own a lot of tools but went maguyver on it when my friend kept being unavailable. It's really easy if you watch some videos first and get an idea of what to do. Good luck. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Put my first AR Lower together the other night. Started tinkering and was done before I knew it. I built on a Spike's Tactical lower, which is factory tapped for a 4-40 set screw to secure the Takedown spring/detent. This makes it much easier to install the receiver plate and buffer tube. I definitely recommend getting a 4-40 tap and set screw at the hardware store and doing this mod during your build. just trim as much off of the detent spring as the length of your set screw - 1/8" trim for 1/8" set screw...

You don't need a vice for the lower. A punch set helps but like I said I managed to do it without one. Where are you located? I have a stock wrench here you could borrow...I'm located in lyndhurst

All the way in neptune. I found one for $10 ill pick up from Amazon.

I think ill be ok without the punches, but i do plan on stopping by HomeDepot/Lowes sometime in the next week or two so ill see what they have there.

Anything else I am missing here? Seems pretty simple...