Plinker

Suggestion for 22lr pistol for the wife

My wifes ID card and permits have come in and we would like to get her a 22lr pistol similar in capabilities to the MKiii Hunter I just bought, but smaller. She tried holding the MKiii and it was a bit on the heavy side for her. Also, the bolt stop button on the side is pretty difficult for her to reach with her fingers while holding the gun.

Weight-wise we could have considered one of the other MKiii pistols like a standard, etc. except for the Bolt Stop button issue.

Gun to be used for target shooting, plinking, etc. HD gun will be coming down the line.

Any recommendations?

Is that 622, that Lunker told us about, still available at Shore Shot? Of my six .22 handguns, my 422 was the one my SO chose to take her First Steps class with. IIRC, the price on the 622 at SS was a steal.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

My fiance has the walther p22 (comes in 3 and 5 in barrel hers is 3) and she loves it. We never have any problems with it you just need to shoot higher velocity rounds like CCI Mini mags and it never falters. She got it for the same reason of weight and its perfect for her.

Check out a GSG 1911-22 or it's sister, the SIG 1911-22, although it isn't real light. The trigger is quite nice for what you are getting and its good practice for learning how to fire a 1911. I really like this a lot, even though I am not that crazy about a grip safety.

I'd consider the Beretta NEOS if it wasn't such an unattractive thing.

not sure where you are located, but Efingers in Bound Brook has a Walther SP22 on the shelf, first one I have seen. The P22 is nice and compact, my wife has small hands and liked it. Sig Mosquito is a little bigger. My buddy has a little Taurus 22LR revolver that is compact too for a lower cost alternative.

So it's looking like one of the following:

S&W 22A

S&W M&P22

Walther SP22 M2 (has the longer 6" barrel but still only 27oz)

Walther P22 Target with 5" barrel - only 18oz...

I think a 1911 style gun will be too heavy. WRT the Walthers and the M&P22's by S&W - are spare parts usually available in the US or since these are made in Germany do you have to wait a while to get replacement parts in?

I can't imagine having a problem with a mk III hunter, but if a thought crossed my mind it might be the heavy barrel. A bolt stop on any pistol is something you learn over time.

I was up in Margaretville NY this weekend and saw a short barreled MkIII. 4.5 " v 6.8

model #10132 @ ruger

Perhaps that might solve the problem?

My wifes ID card and permits have come in and we would like to get her a 22lr pistol similar in capabilities to the MKiii Hunter I just bought, but smaller. She tried holding the MKiii and it was a bit on the heavy side for her. Also, the bolt stop button on the side is pretty difficult for her to reach with her fingers while holding the gun.

Weight-wise we could have considered one of the other MKiii pistols like a standard, etc. except for the Bolt Stop button issue.

Gun to be used for target shooting, plinking, etc. HD gun will be coming down the line.

Any recommendations?

Go with the MkIII, extended bolt release is available. http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RSC&Product_Code=VC2BR

It's the best option and if she is shooting yours will reduce training issues.

We went over to PA to the Army Navy store in Allentown to check out some hand guns. Saw a used Ruger 22/45 hunter that was significantly lighter then mine. I think the what makes mine so much heavier is it's all steel where the 22/45 (and others) have composites in them. She got a better feel for the bolt lock too - I'll definately look into the extension for it.

I think we might just get another Ruger MKiii now which would be great because some of the parts/mags could be used for either. Plus the odds are good they will like the same brands of ammo.

Saw a couple of S&W cannons - that's the best way to describe them. HUGE! Also checked out some 9mm guns. The Glock 17 seemed perfect for her (I didn't mind it either) but I don't think that it would be legal in NJ with 19 round mags in it, would it? I haven't gotten a chance to fire my gun yet and I'm already thinking of the next one, lol!

Ok....we decided, or I should say my wife decided, on her firearm. We stopped in at Hackettstown Gun and Ammo and there was a used Ruger MKiii 22/45 Hunter with a 5.5" barrel... She picked it up and said that it was the one. Price was great...only $300.

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! So many nice guns out there.

Now it's time to find a local range...

I wonder why nobody mention Buck Mark?

I am also looking for .22 for my wife and Browning Buck Mark felt better then Ruger MKiii.

Also it seems field strip is less of a pain.

My $.02. Buckmark is a great 22. Shoots real nice. Feals as good as my fully loaded Px4 in 40. Maybe better.

Ok....we decided, or I should say my wife decided, on her firearm. We stopped in at Hackettstown Gun and Ammo and there was a used Ruger MKiii 22/45 Hunter with a 5.5" barrel... She picked it up and said that it was the one. Price was great...only $300.

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! So many nice guns out there.

Now it's time to find a local range...

Congratulations, My OL's fist handgun is the Hunter also and she really likes it.