MarkWVU02

Springfield EMP 9mm

Went to the BH with my buddy today. He just got a 9mm EMP. The thing failed to feed constantly on new mags. once it was firing it was fine but any time you tried to chamber a round on a new mag it happened again. Any ideas or advice? Trying to help my buddy out...it really was kind of frustrating especially since this was an $1100 gun and he had to watch me shoot my $500 xd9 with no issues (I think i'm over 2000 rounds without a single issue...lost count around 1200). Other than the FTF the gun is sweet...although it could hold a few more rounds.

I have found some tight 1911 9mm guns to be VERY PICKY about ammo. I ended up selling my Springfield Loaded because it WOULD NOT cycle 115 grain 9mm ammo. You needed to fire 147 grain in it for reliable feeding. If I remember right, 124grain usually worked too. It may have to do with OAL. Try different weight 9mm ammo.

The EMP is on my wish list... usually its the overall length of the round that messes it up like Lunker said.

This may be a rumor but i heard its hard to find a reliable 1911 configured in 9mm.

This might help you as a reference.

45ACPBarrelSeating.jpg

Funny thing this thread was started, because I was just visiting my gf's hometown (out of state) last weekend and we went shooting with her dad. He had a Springfield 1911 compact, I dunno which model it is but I know it is ONE out of the two 1911's in the Springfield ad I see in most gun magazines.

It had this exact same problem. Every time you would try and chamber a round, the slide wouldn't seat correctly. It would stop about halfway to the correct position. I had to tap the back of the slide to get it to chamber. And the worst thing is, he uses it for carry. I know I know, terrible...but I don't say much. I just suggested he send an email to Springfield about it and have them take care of it.

I have heard, as Lunker stated, that a lot of higher end 1911's are very tight...almost too tight and are finicky with some ammo.

Thanks for the info guys I'll pass it along to my friend. I hope it's something simple. The gun is beautiful aesthetically, two tone with wood grips. Felt great in the hand. It shot well and the trigger had a real short reset. I thought it may need a break in period...maybe the springs on the mag are two tight or something. It was the first time he's shot the gun...but honestly it happened way to often in my opinion. I was disappointed, I've praised Springfield and figured this would be a few steps above my xd9. If he could iron out this issue it would be a real sweet gun.

I have an EMP in 9mm that I picked up a few years ago (got a screaming deal... $900 for it, NIB). The first time I shot it was during a defensive handgun class at SJSC in March, in the rain. I put 200 rounds through it that day and it performed flawlessly. Since then, I've put another 300 through it (all FMJ) and it has never hiccuped. Maybe your buddy got a bum gun.

BTW, the mags used in the EMP are Mecgar. I have 8 of them, and again, never have had an issue with any of them. You said he had "new mags". Were they the factory ones, or aftermarket?

That's his problem right there. 1911s function best in the original 5" and with .45 ACP. The further you stray from that configuration the more difficult it will be to make it reliable. Not impossible but definitely harder.

While that may be true for converting a 1911 .45acp into a 9mm, I think the EMP 9mm was built from the ground up with the 9mm in mind.

• Like 1

What kind of ammo were you using? Factory or reloads?

If you take out the barrel, and drop a round in it by hand, does it fall in freely? or gets caught up midway through the brass?

+1

For my reloads, until I bought a lee factory crimp die I could not get my 45ACP rounds to fit in Lone wolf match barrels. You should check the specs on your barrel and see if it's a tight fit when chambering a round.

What kind of ammo were you using? Factory or reloads?

If you take out the barrel, and drop a round in it by hand, does it fall in freely? or gets caught up midway through the brass?

Using Factory loads...Remington UMC to be exact...I'll tell him to try that out...thanks

That's his problem right there. 1911s function best in the original 5" and with .45 ACP. The further you stray from that configuration the more difficult it will be to make it reliable. Not impossible but definitely harder.

I'd agree with you here but the EMP was actually designed around the 9mm

This is why I never suggest the SA 1911s no matter what caliber..... nothing but widespread problems

Your hatred of Springfield Armory is crazy, BUT I do see issues with SOME of their lower-end guns.

Your hatred of Springfield Armory is crazy, BUT I do see issues with SOME of their lower-end guns.

Ray, if you see a consistent pattern of failure in a product, you avoid it. To me that's not hating. I don't hate Kimbers, but I would never buy a new one or advise a friend to.

Wait, here comes the cascading shitstorm from the Kimber fans. :)

Ray, if you see a consistent pattern of failure in a product, you avoid it. To me that's not hating. I don't hate Kimbers, but I would never buy a new one or advise a friend to.

Wait, here comes the cascading shitstorm from the Kimber fans. :)

It really sucks when it's true, OUCH!