hd2000fxdl

PLEASE HELP FIGHT BACK AGAINST AIRLINE TAX INCREASES

If you have a few extra minutes to let them know we don't need any new taxes on the tickets we purchase, I know we all like to get away on vacation or or just to get away, but if this is passed, service may change, jobs lost, and who wants higher ticket prices.

Check out the link below please..

No New Taxes

Harry

I hope so, I can't imagine ticket prices going up much more, my OL owns a Travel Agency and it's not a good time. If it wasn't for all the Immigration work, Translations and Income Tax work she does, who would have had to retired about 3 years after 911..

Harry

If you have a few extra minutes to let them know we don't need any new taxes on the tickets we purchase, I know we all like to get away on vacation or or just to get away, but if this is passed, service may change, jobs lost, and who wants higher ticket prices.

Check out the link below please..

No New Taxes

Harry

I'm not yet sure I agree with this. What are the taxes going to pay for? Airlines are a marginally profitable industry with a large portion going for jet fuel. I view these taxes as a user fee to pay for the facilities and services needed by the airlines to provide their services. We are all paying for our national airspace system run by the FAA. Fuel taxes in particular go a long way to pay for the common area facilities enjoyed by air travelers. As a general aviation pilot, 10.5 cents of every gallon of fuel I buy goes to NJ to maintain airports, trim trees, maintain instrument approach and other facilities that I and the the folks onboard the aircraft rely on and use.

What am i missing?

What am i missing?

What your missing is the Tax on lets say a $325 dollar ticket is currently just above $50 dollars already, now I really don't know any other item for sale that is being taxed at that rate and the proposed increase in tax will just add to that, and guess what, you and I will pay for it, I doubt the airlines will say, don't worry about it we got this.

As far as airlines making money, some are some are not, most that are making money is due to fuel hedges, a lot that did hedge at the right time, or didn't have the money to are loosing money, prime example South West who is loosing money on every ticket they sell because it cost more to operate the flight that they are taking in.

Lets put it this way, add the tax alone and not adjust actual fare pricing going to the airlines them selves and your going to be closer to a 20% tax on your ticket on a $325 dollar ticket..

Thats like buying a $265. dollar gun and walking out the door with $325 dollars less in your pocket not including NICS fees, with them and your at $343 dollars lighter for that @265 dollar gun.

Plus there is no real good accountability of where this money is really going and what it's going to do, there are plans on paper but we know how that goes.

As far as what pays for the airports and other locals upkeep is mostly landing fees based on weight of the A/C.

Harry

What your missing is the Tax on lets say a $325 dollar ticket is currently just above $50 dollars already, now I really don't know any other item for sale that is being taxed at that rate and the proposed increase in tax will just add to that, and guess what, you and I will pay for it, I doubt the airlines will say, don't worry about it we got this.

As far as airlines making money, some are some are not, most that are making money is due to fuel hedges, a lot that did hedge at the right time, or didn't have the money to are loosing money, prime example South West who is loosing money on every ticket they sell because it cost more to operate the flight that they are taking in.

Lets put it this way, add the tax alone and not adjust actual fare pricing going to the airlines them selves and your going to be closer to a 20% tax on your ticket on a $325 dollar ticket..

Thats like buying a $265. dollar gun and walking out the door with $325 dollars less in your pocket not including NICS fees, with them and your at $343 dollars lighter for that @265 dollar gun.

Plus there is no real good accountability of where this money is really going and what it's going to do, there are plans on paper but we know how that goes.

As far as what pays for the airports and other locals upkeep is mostly landing fees based on weight of the A/C.

Harry

I do know that we have th best and safest air traffic control system in the world. On July 22, the Federal Aviation Administration budget authority expired and with it, so did the authority for airlines to collect the excise taxes on tickets. On Aug. 5, Congress passed an extension of the FAA authorization, which also retroactively reinstated the excise tax from July 23, 2011. During the roughly two-week lapse, airlines were not authorized to collect the taxes, but the retroactive reinstatement in the law put the taxes back in place as though they had never expired. The IRS is providing relief for airlines and taxpayers who purchased tickets during that two week lapse. This means the IRS will not be retroactively collecting the tax since it was not collected and paid during this two-week period. Airlines had until 12:01 a.m. on Monday, Aug. 8, to resume collection of the ticket taxes. These taxes go to pay for the FAA.

The following federal air transportation excise taxes were affected:

• The 7.5 percent tax on the base ticket price.
  • The domestic segment tax of $3.70 per person per segment (a single takeoff and single landing).
  • The international travel facilities tax of $16.30 per person for flights that begin or end in the U.S., or $8.20 per person for a flight that begins or ends in Alaska or Hawaii.
  • The 6.25 percent tax on the amount paid for transporting property by air.

Other taxes and fees, such as state taxes, security fees, passenger facility charges (PFCs) and excess baggage fees, were not affected by the expiration of the taxes listed above.

This may be a topic for another board but I can't seem to find out why are they proposing a tax increase. Perhaps it is to fully fund the FAA budget rather than all the piecemeal extensions by Congress. I'll see if I can search the Federal Register.

Ok I give, yes it is not gun relates, however this portion of the forum is the appropriate section for a post like this, and I just felt that anyone who enjoys flying may be interested in fighting back against a new taxes that is not needed and one that will only do one thing for the traveling public, raise the cost of ticket prices and reduce service, let alone the impact that it will have on workers in and associated with the industry. Oh, and reduced service does impact cargo movements, and US Mail delivery.

Me personally I feel I pay enough taxes, and way too much of my tax dollars are wasted on BS, last thing I want to do is pay more for anything, but hey, thats just me.

Oh, by the way, I'll agree we do have a great ATC system, but we do need to work on some things, first thing that would help me is to get everyone who buys a house around the airport understand that there will be noise, that would help make my day go a lot easier. :icon_mrgreen:

Harry

Ok I give, yes it is not gun relates, however this portion of the forum is the appropriate section for a post like this, and I just felt that anyone who enjoys flying may be interested in fighting back against a new taxes that is not needed and one that will only do one thing for the traveling public, raise the cost of ticket prices and reduce service, let alone the impact that it will have on workers in and associated with the industry. Oh, and reduced service does impact cargo movements, and US Mail delivery.

Me personally I feel I pay enough taxes, and way too much of my tax dollars are wasted on BS, last thing I want to do is pay more for anything, but hey, thats just me.

Oh, by the way, I'll agree we do have a great ATC system, but we do need to work on some things, first thing that would help me is to get everyone who buys a house around the airport understand that there will be noise, that would help make my day go a lot easier. :icon_mrgreen:

Harry

I had a chance to do some more research over the weekend. I do not believe in government entitlements and subsidies. It appears that the fees being proposed are exactely that, a way to charge the American people fees in order to pay for government services in other areas as an attempt to raise revenue.

It appears that they are attempting to create a new tax/fee collecting bureaucracy in addition to aviation's current effecient per-gallon fuel charge at the pump. We do not need more government but less. They need to be focused on increasing our international competitiveness and productivity rather than using the aviation industry as a national bank.

Imposing user fees on general aviation would be disastrous as has happened in other countries that had adopted user fees.