checko

Silver Bullet

I've been looking everywhere for a particular pistol calling every shop I can find. I finally talked to The Silver Bullet today and he was helpful enough, telling me what he had and some prices.

When I looked online for some reviews of this place they are either 1 star or 5 stars (more of 1 star)

Anyone deal with this place? Are they really as rude as its said? I really want this gun but I dont want to be treated like **** just to get it.

Thanks

Being the first responder I guess it falls to me to ask the obvious: Did you try the on-line Price Request?

Remember, even if a dealer doesn't have it in stock, for most firearms you are only talking about days to get it. If it is brand new, high demand or unique in some way, then you may have to put up with whatever, if you really want it.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Ive been there, even made a purchase. But would not go back. Very nice guy to me. But first his prices are high and he is very opinionated. when you go in there you will realize he has tons of posters up. And after talking to him he is very racist imho. I just would rather not support him after that even though he was nice to me. Even let me handle more stuff for no reason when my nics was waiting.

Checker were are you located? Did you check gun broker?

Ive been there, even made a purchase. But would not go back. Very nice guy to me. But first his prices are high and he is very opinionated. when you go in there you will realize he has tons of posters up. And after talking to him he is very racist imho. I just would rather not support him after that even though he was nice to me. Even let me handle more stuff for no reason when my nics was waiting.

Checker were are you located? Did you check gun broker?

I did check gunbroker but I can't find anything. I actually think im doing something wrong lol.

But to be honest, being of Colombian decent (but looking white) I run into a lot of that kind of behavior in the "firearms world" Noone seems to realize. I take it all with a grain of salt though. I know how old timers can be.

I've been there a couple times. Frank runs hot and cold. My wife bought a Springfield XDm from him. At the time he was the only one pinning the mags, so we paid a premium for it and he tolerated us that day. Another time I walked in looking for a .22 rifle, he was nice as could be and I walk out with a barely used .22.

The last time and I mean LAST time I will ever go in his store, I was looking for a .308 semi-auto rifle, but I wasn't sure what I wanted. I was looking for some info…. some direction and I want to hold and feel the rifles. Well, I guess he wasn't in the mood to "help" me. We went back and forth a couple times and I walked out while he called me an assh… I sat in my car for a minute or two and ran the tape in my head back… I really don't know what I did to get him so angry.

Just for the record, I had $1200 cash in my pocket and my FID in the other. I was willing to buy on the spot. I took my business to Walt at Hackettstown Guns and Ammo. He was more than willing to help. I ended up buying my PTR91 off him. It was a pleasure doing business with him. He'll get you what you want and although I don't remember his transfer fees, I do remember they weren't very high.

You can buy online all you want but you will still need a FFL to transfer it here in NJ...

Harry

Yes but all you have to do is pick it up. You don't have to "Bother" the ffl with questions or looking at multiple pieces.

Obviously this isn't the case with everyone but it seems more often than not.

As others have said Frank runs hot and cold and is very extremely opinionated. He seems to be better when you know what your talking about and you know what you want. He can be very helpful at times, and other times he seems annoyed if you ask him questions.

If you really want to get him going, bring up Nappen.

I agree with many of your assessments that Frank is hot and cold and an odd duck. I think it depends on his blood sugar levels, etc.., that day. I have purchased things from him because he sometimes has things that others don't, but I would never do an FFL transfer through him . However, I know that when I purchase from him that I would be paying a premium.

He has lost a few sales because of his attitude. He does seem to have a set way of doing things, etc., almost a code. For example, he can be a AH to you, but then he will give you a box of ammo with your purchase. Maybe that is figured into the premium price. He is oppinionated, but I think he means well when he is in a good mood and he has been fair.

But, he has not gone the distance to foster my allegiance. I will use his shop if he has something used I want, or something I cannot find anywhere else, or something with the necessary modfied magazines, but to me it is strickly business. I won't go in there and BS with him, etc. And, if he gives me an attitude, he has probably lost a sale, but I most likely will return to his shop on an as-needed basis, or if I am in the immediate area.

So I went today and I must say the transaction was very cordial. We talked a little bit about some guns and he answered whatever questions I had. As for the racism, it never really came up...he did, however, have a light chuckle when I checked off white, asian, and latino sections on the paperwork. Said he's never seen that in 20 yrs haha.

All in all wasn't bad.....but theres always next time I guess.

So I went today and I must say the transaction was very cordial. We talked a little bit about some guns and he answered whatever questions I had. As for the racism, it never really came up...he did, however, have a light chuckle when I checked off white, asian, and latino sections on the paperwork. Said he's never seen that in 20 yrs haha.

All in all wasn't bad.....but theres always next time I guess.

Congrats on the new acquisition. Have Fun.

I agree with many of your assessments that Frank is hot and cold and an odd dock. I think it depends on his blood sugar levels, etc.., that day. I have purchased things from him because he sometimes has things that others don't, but I would never do an FFL transfer through him . However, I know that when I purchase from him that I would be paying a premium.

He has lost a few sales because of his attitude. He does seem to have a set way of doing things, etc., almost a code. For example, he can be a AH to you, but then he will give you a box of ammo with your purchase. Maybe that is figured into the premium price. He is oppinionated, but I think he means well when he is in a good mood and he has been fair.

But, he has not gone the distance to foster my allegiance. I will use his shop if he has something used I want, or something I cannot find anywhere else, or something with the necessary modfied magazines, but to me it is strickly business. I won't go in there and BS with him, etc. And, if he gives me an attitude, he has probably lost a sale, but I most likely will return to his shop on an as-needed basis, or if I am in the immediate area.

That's about where I'm at with him, stop in to see what's new in used stuff and if it's not too overpriced I might buy it.

One good thing I will say about him, if it's NJ legal, he'll sell it, he's not a dealer that's afraid of anything controversial. I think that's part of what keeps him in business, you'll see things for sale there that no one else figured out is legal in NJ, and it's usually gone quickly.

As far as transfers, at $50 + NICS fee of $20, pass - there are plenty of others around who are less.

Bought my first handgun there. I think because I knew exactly what I wanted and knew he had it the experience wasn't bad. That said do not expect warm customer service don't think someone going in to browse would be a good thing. He was nice to me though helped me practice breaking down the gun went over how to clean it with me. Free box of ammo. He's just an intimidating guy but the transaction was cordial. I went there cause out of about 10 stores he was the only who had what I wanted. Cool store very tucked away and lots of great weapons. Prob wouldn't go back there unless no one else had what i need again though.

No more of the SB for me. Three weeks ago I did an extensive search and located a Ruger SR22 that I wanted and put 1/2 of the cash down on it. At the time I was told that there were 2 or 3 in stock.

I am at the end of my time for a renewed permit (180 days) and wanted to make sure everything worked out and lined up. At that time of putting the money down on the item, the exact date was figured out when I could pick up the item and that left me with a two or 3 day window before the permit was no longer usable. After committing myself, I basically passed up on some nice opportunities here on the forum.

Well, I went down there today with permit in hand and the balance of cash and was told that the handgun that I had in my hand three weeks ago was not there and that it had to be sent back to Ruger for some problem because it was unsafe. He seemed to be very noncommittal on this after he had taken my deposit and basically he expressed that he thought that I could just wait a little longer and use the permit. I explained that I didn't have time left on it and that it already had been renewed. He didn't offer even an apology or anything for my frustration and trouble and didn't seem to care too much. I asked him promptly to return my money, which he did. And, I have to admit that I said some rather unpolite things that I wish I could take back and then l left saying I would never come back.

I believe he sold my gun to someone else and that was why he didn't have it in stock, probably one of his police clientele that he fawns over. Either way, I should have definitely gotten a call when it was no longer in his shop, which I didn't.

I've finally learned my lesson with this guy after giving him business on a few occasions, including one when I put a down payment on a gun and then went in at the agreed date and time to pick it up and he didn't have the pinned magazines for it, although the magazine was present when I put the down payment.

Good luck to him!

No more of the SB for me. Three weeks ago I did an extensive search and located a Ruger SR22 that I wanted and put 1/2 of the cash down on it. At the time I was told that there were 2 or 3 in stock.

I am at the end of my time for a renewed permit (180 days) and wanted to make sure everything worked out and lined up. At that time of putting the money down on the item, the exact date was figured out when I could pickup the item and that left me with a two or 3 day window before the permit was no longer usable. After committing myself, I basically passed up on some nice opportunities here on the forum.

Well, I went down there today with permit in hand and the balance of cash and was told that the handgun that I had in my hand three weeks ago was not there and that it had to be sent back to Ruger for some problem because it was unsafe. He seemed to be very noncommittal on this after I actually had the gun in my hand and he took the deposit and basically he expressed that he thought that I could just wait a little longer and use the permit. I explained that I didn't have time on it and that it already had been renewed. He didn't offer anything for my frustration and trouble and didn't seem to care too much. I asked him promptly to return my money, which he did. And, I have to admit that I said some unpolite things that I wish I could take back and then l left saying I would never come back.

I believe he sold my gun to someone else and that was why he didn't have it in stock, probably one of his police clientele that he fawns over. Either way, I should have definitely gotten a call when it was no longer in his shop, which I didn't. So, has anybody heard of any problems with the new SR22? I think I will place a call to Ruger.

I've finally learned my lesson with this guy after giving him business on a few occasions, including one when I put a down payment on a gun and then went in at the agreed time to pick it up and he didn't have the pinned magazines for it.

Good luck to him!

Thats totally inappropriate. I can totally understand what people are saying about this shop. I dont think I would ever use him again after hearing these things.

Maybe he was telling the truth about the guns having a problem. After reading this and a thread on the Ruger forum I really don't know:

http://www.waltherfo...r22-pistol.html

I still should have gotten a phone call. If he had called me and told me ahead of time to let me know that it was recalled... I would have been disappointed, but it would have been easier.

I went in there once about 3 years ago and he was chatting with what must have been a buddy of his. I walked around looking in the cases at guns for 20 minutes before he acknowledged my presence. I told him what I was looking for, he quoted a high price and walked away back to his buddy. Then I left and never went back. Seems like the guy really is hit or miss depending on who you ask, but for me it was a miss.

If you don't mind me asking randomhero, what handgun did you purchase? I was there on Saturday and was eyeing up a colt, just making sure if it's still there when I pick up my PP haha

It was like a month ago, not a colt. he also was supposed to call me about something I was waiting for from him and never did. I called after two weeks of silence and then he said oh yeh that's here now. Not great customer service.