MarcR

fall turkey

Hey guys, I'm new to hunting and shooting in general. I have never turkey hunted before and would like to give it a try. I do have full Camo and I have paterened a couple different loads and found one that hits pretty consistant. I have looked at the zones and found some public land close to my area. I am basically looking for someone with some experience to teach me the ins and outs. I know this alot to ask but it can't hurt to ask for help. Even if someone can recommend a good DVD or DVD series that would help me out alot. I appreciate all and any help thanks guys!!

Hey guys, I'm new to hunting and shooting in general. I have never turkey hunted before and would like to give it a try. I do have full Camo and I have paterened a couple different loads and found one that hits pretty consistant. I have looked at the zones and found some public land close to my area. I am basically looking for someone with some experience to teach me the ins and outs. I know this alot to ask but it can't hurt to ask for help. Even if someone can recommend a good DVD or DVD series that would help me out alot. I appreciate all and any help thanks guys!!

Just Google "fall turkey hunting" and the search will lead you to reading and video resources. NOW is the best time to get out in the woods after this snow. You'll find turkey tracks (certainly easier to see and find than combing areas to find pockets they've scratched and searched for acorns and beechnuts,) and then you'll have an idea as to areas they travel, feed and roost in. The majority of any successful hunt is spent on pre-season work.

Hey guys,

Talking about fall turkey hunting... I was out by the Clinton WMA yesterday scouting some deer hunting spots and a big turkey jumped out of a thicket and flew up and over the trees... it was up above 40 or 50 feet in the air and flew for a good distance before I couldn't see it anymore. I was pretty shocked as I had no idea that wild turkey's could fly! I always thought that they were like chickens that can only fly very low and short distances... It was a big turkey, too!

Hey guys,

Talking about fall turkey hunting... I was out by the Clinton WMA yesterday scouting some deer hunting spots and a big turkey jumped out of a thicket and flew up and over the trees... it was up above 40 or 50 feet in the air and flew for a good distance before I couldn't see it anymore. I was pretty shocked as I had no idea that wild turkey's could fly! I always thought that they were like chickens that can only fly very low and short distances... It was a big turkey, too!

Wild turkeys are very capable flyers. They need to fly in order to roost in trees at night. They don't stay on the ground at night, they'd never survive to see the next day.

When the state introduced them back in the late 70's, my brother and I used to drive up to the Gap in the evenings and watch them fly across the Delaware each night to roost. Some would fly over to the PA side, others would sail over to NJ from the PA side. While they prefer to walk/run, they can fly and glide for a long distance. Their take-off is thunderous. If you study them, their makeup is much like a ruffed grouse, only on steroids. Both birds have a large fan tail they use to both display with while strutting and it is also deployed to aid in flight. I've seen my dog trail and point them just like they were another gamebird, so they must smell gamey to him like other birds do.

Their tails are very similar (grouse in the foreground, turkey in the background.) Only a grouse is the speed king upon takeoff.

utf-8BL0RldmljZSBNZW1vcnkvaG9tZS91c2VyL3BpY3R1cmVzL0lNRzAwNzA1LmpwZw.jpg

turkeys can fly in excess of 55 mph

Yep, but it does take them awhile to get there. :)

Grouse & quail are the most explosive "out of the gate," reaching hard-to-hit speed about the time you get your gun up after they flush. They don't fly too far, but I have seen grouse sail from from one ridge top to another distant one on more than one occasion. No one really knows how fast a grouse flies, since they are secretive and few have ever been studied in captivity. Ducks are still the top speed kings. Doves on a windy day are just little gray darts.