vladtepes

Is *Insert any semi automatic shotgun* legal in NJ?

1) NJ bans specific firearms by name... if the gun is banned by name.. you may NOT own it in NJ..

If the gun is NOT listed as banned procede to step (2)

The following guns are banned in NJ and you may NOT own them... meaning if the gun is specifically listed here you may NOT have it in NJ period..

Algimec AGM1 type

Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder such as the "Street Sweeper" or "Striker 12"

Armalite AR-180 type

Australian Automatic Arms SAR

Avtomat Kalashnikov type semi-automatic firearms

Beretta AR-70 and BM59 semi-automatic firearms

Bushmaster Assault Rifle

Calico M-900 Assault carbine and M-900

CETME G3

Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88 type

Colt AR-15 and CAR-15 series

Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max 1 and Max 2, AR 100 types

Demro TAC-1 carbine type

Encom MP-9 and MP-45 carbine types

FAMAS MAS223 types

FN-FAL, FN-LAR, or FN-FNC type semi-automatic firearms

Franchi SPAS 12 and LAW 12 shotguns

G3SA type

Galil type

Heckler and Koch HK91, HK93, HK94, MP5, PSG-1

Intratec TEC 9 and 22 semi-automatic firearms

M1 carbine type

M14S type

MAC 10, MAC 11, MAC 11-9 mm carbine type firearms

PJK M-68 carbine type

Plainfield Machine Company Carbine

Ruger K-Mini-14/5 F and Mini-14/5 RF

SIG AMT, SIG 550SP, SIG 551SP, SIG PE-57 types

SKS with detachable magazine type

Spectre Auto carbine type

Springfield Armory BM59 and SAR-48 type

Sterling MK-6, MK-7 and SAR types

Steyr A.U.G. semi-automatic firearms

USAS 12 semi-automatic type shotgun

Uzi type semi-automatic firearms

Valmet M62, M71S, M76, or M78 type semi-automatic firearms

Weaver Arm Nighthawk;

2) if the gun is NOT banned by name, you must be sure it is not substantially identical to guns that are banned.

Substantially identical is defined by NJ in the following way in regards to shotguns.. meaning that if it fits the criteria below it is an assault weapon and you may NOT own it..

A semi-automatic shotgun that has at least TWO of the following:

(1) A folding or telescoping stock;

(2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

**note(having a pistol grip on a semi auto makes the gun automatically illegal even if NO other evil features are present..)**

(3) A fixed magazine capacity in excess of six rounds; and/or

(4) An ability to accept a detachable magazine;

ALSO ANY semi auto that has a pistol grip is AUTOMATICALLY an assault weapon and therefore may not be owned period.. even if it has NO other "evil features"..

A semi-automatic shotgun with either a magazine capacity exceeding six rounds, a folding stock

or a pistol grip;

If the gun is NOT banned by name... and the gun is not substantially identical.. then you may own the gun..

you must also comply with minimum length requirements which I believe is 18 inches for the barrel and 26in overall.. but might want to check that length as I am not %100 sure..

"Sawed-off shotgun" means any shotgun having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length

measured from the breach to the muzzle, or a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches

in length measured from the breach to the muzzle, or any firearm made from a rifle or a shotgun,

whether by alteration, or otherwise, if such firearm as modified has an overall length of less than 26

inches.

also it is important to know that "thumbhole stock" is not defined by the state of NJ.. "pistol grip" however is defined..

take notice that it does not say fired comfortably with one hand.. it simply says fired..

"Pistol grip" means a well defined handle, similar to that found on a handgun, that protrudes

conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, and which permits the firearm to be held and fired

with one hand.

pump shotguns have slightly different rules.. a pump shotgun must satisfy length rules but beyond that is fairly free to be modified.. there are no "evil" features list as pertaining to pump shotguns... thus allowing for things like pistol grip, collapsible stocks, bayonets, etc..

• Like 2

I think it's good that Vladtepes has posted up these legality threads, but in all honesty, can't you (vlad) sticky a thread that is a general 'is it legal' thread...via the link over to NJSP that has all guns (pistols, rifles, shotguns) and their legalities?

Instead of having to make a thread for each...

Just think that that would be much easier.

I suggested working on a detailed write up some time ago.. but it was passed on.. so I instead put the legalities for each firearm type in each section so that people searching will find it..

in other words.. shotgun legalities under the shotgun section..

the reason I do not just link.. is because I write them in a manner I feel is brief and clear.. as opposed to just listing the law.. which can be lengthy and cause confusion.. think about it.. the info is out there already but people ignore it and ask.. this is a more streamlined.. "it is legal if" almost like a quick notes.. :icon_mrgreen:

but yeah I would definitely stick them.. since the question is asked SO frequently..

this is all very complicated for me please help me out, a benelli M4 tactical i guess should be good because it has a pistol grip but only holds 5 rounds, or a mossberg 930 with no pistol grip but holds 8 rounds should also be good because in each case the gun only has 1 evil feature. Am i correct?

this is all very complicated for me please help me out, a benelli M4 tactical i guess should be good because it has a pistol grip but only holds 5 rounds, or a mossberg 930 with no pistol grip but holds 8 rounds should also be good because in each case the gun only has 1 evil feature. Am i correct?

Evil features work differently with semi-auto shotguns than semi-auto rifles. On AutoLoaders: a pistol grip makes it an assault weapon. A capacity of more than six in the tube makes it an assault weapon. You can get a Benelli M4, but not with the pistol grip. The Mossberg would be OK only if you switched mag tubes to only hold six or less.

Are these stupid rules and confusing? Of course.

Got a friend who's dad passed away recently, his dad lived in NY and he lives in NJ. He wants to take the mossberg 500 shotgun. Does he need to register it?

second question he wants to convert it to a tactical "Pistol Grip and Collapsible stock" Is that illegal?

I keep reading different opinions. Just wanted some direction.

Got a friend who's dad passed away recently, his dad lived in NY and he lives in NJ. He wants to take the mossberg 500 shotgun. Does he need to register it?

second question he wants to convert it to a tactical "Pistol Grip and Collapsible stock" Is that illegal?

I keep reading different opinions. Just wanted some direction.

Pistol grip on pump shotgun - NJ legal

Pistol grip on semi-auto shotgun - illegal Assault Weapon according to our asinine laws.

All of those evil features you worry about on a rifle, do not apply to pump shotguns.

On a pump, you can put a pistol grip, bayonet lug, collapsible stock, flash hider, and mag extension tube that goes 12" past the end of the barrel.

I would do it just as a matter of principle in this state. Screw New Jersey.

I just want to thank the OP for this consolidation of info. It really helps, and I am in the market for a HD shotgun so reading this was very informative. Luckily I am looking at a pump, so my tactical version needs of collapsible stock and pistol grip are from what I gathered from this thread "legal". Man this state is just so f'ed up. I cannot wait to move to SC come May-June. I'm a fairly new "gun owner", but my father has owned guns his whole life and I've shot all of them, but as I become more familiar with different weapons and needs I am realizing that gun ownership regulations in NJ are just another reason to not live here.

I just want to thank the OP for this consolidation of info. It really helps, and I am in the market for a HD shotgun so reading this was very informative. Luckily I am looking at a pump, so my tactical version needs of collapsible stock and pistol grip are from what I gathered from this thread "legal". Man this state is just so f'ed up. I cannot wait to move to SC come May-June. I'm a fairly new "gun owner", but my father has owned guns his whole life and I've shot all of them, but as I become more familiar with different weapons and needs I am realizing that gun ownership regulations in NJ are just another reason to not live here.

you can definitely have those on a pump shotgun.. but with that said I would take a 16in carbine (preferably an AR15) over a shotgun any day..

you can definitely have those on a pump shotgun.. but with that said I would take a 16in carbine (preferably an AR15) over a shotgun any day..

I agree with that, however I am late to the game on purchasing an AR and right now does not look like it's going to happen with all that's going on. So shorty is my next avenue.

I agree with that, however I am late to the game on purchasing an AR and right now does not look like it's going to happen with all that's going on. So shorty is my next avenue.

Yeah, I hear ya on late to the AR game...I was all set to buy one (Windham MPC) in December and then the tragedy in Connecticut happened and well....still waiting. I guess I'll give it a couple more months...

im sorry but im a bit confused, why cant a semi auto with less then 6 rounds cap be purchased? If it says atleast 2 features, that would only be 1 evil feature correct? or am i missing something?

It can have more then 6 if that is the only evil feature.  The UTAS 15 for example holds 15 rounds and is semi automatic and legal to own in NJ to my best knowledge.

It can have more then 6 if that is the only evil feature. The UTAS 15 for example holds 15 rounds and is semi automatic and legal to own in NJ to my best knowledge.

Semi auto is one feature and over 6 rounds would be a second feature. In short there are no semi auto shotguns with over 6 round capacity that's legal in nj

im sorry but im a bit confused, why cant a semi auto with less then 6 rounds cap be purchased? If it says atleast 2 features, that would only be 1 evil feature correct? or am i missing something?

it can... 

it says it is illegal IF

the semi auto shotgun has at least TWO features....

semi auto is not a countable feature... semi auto is the qualifier....

IF it is semi auto.. AND has two of the features listed.. it is illegal

IF it is semi auto.... AND has a pistol grip.. it is illegal..