vladtepes

Is *Insert any semi automatic handgun* legal in NJ?

22 hours ago, Chris1 said:

So if I'm reading the semi automatic pistol laws correctly (I'm not a lawyer but I can read) , I could technically;

use an "ar15" lower receiver transferred as a pistol,

Then make it a single shot, thus not creating a semi auto-automatic ar15 pistol- via

http://originalbobsled.com/ARSleds.aspx

This single shot sled in conjunction with a "fixed mag" kit would seem to  make the ar15 pistol legal as the fixed mag bullet button requires tools and disassembly.

how feasible is this? Because it's not a "semi auto assault pistol" (God these laws are stupid), this seems to be legal no? Would any FFL and or smith be willing to verify this and or attempt this?

I am NOT a lawyer.. 

but the question to answer are "can you make a pistol in NJ"... if the answer is yes.. then IMO you could make a single shot AR pistol... because a single shot AR pistol is no longer a semi automatic pistol.. and would not be bound by any of the rules related to ownership of a semi automatic pistol.. because.. well to simply put it.. it would NOT be semi auto.. 

with that said I have owned actual semi auto AR15 pistol.. and currently have a 7.5in AR15 SBR... and IMO at least.. you would totally lose the functional benefits of that platform by being single shot.. 

the benefit of such a platform is a small compact footprint that can send lots of rounds downrange quickly.. 

4 minutes ago, vladtepes said:

I am NOT a lawyer.. 

but the question to answer are "can you make a pistol in NJ"... if the answer is yes.. then IMO you could make a single shot AR pistol... because a single shot AR pistol is no longer a semi automatic pistol.. and would not be bound by any of the rules related to ownership of a semi automatic pistol.. because.. well to simply put it.. it would NOT be semi auto.. 

with that said I have owned actual semi auto AR15 pistol.. and currently have a 7.5in AR15 SBR... and IMO at least.. you would totally lose the functional benefits of that platform by being single shot.. 

the benefit of such a platform is a small compact footprint that can send lots of rounds downrange quickly.. 

Well, I was wondering how the ar15 pistol would be legally allowed with our current burdensome rules.

the mag outside the pistol grip is one check.

and I believe the 50oz 3.1# rule also give it the second mark against it, unless I'm wrong about the total weight of the ar pistol?

1 minute ago, Chris1 said:

Well, I was wondering how the ar15 pistol would be legally allowed with our current burdensome rules.

the mag outside the pistol grip is one check.

and I believe the 50oz 3.1# rule also give it the second mark against it, unless I'm wrong about the total weight of the ar pistol?

correct in NJ for a "normal citizen" to have a semi auto AR pistol or SBR.. I THINK there is one out there that you can get and its like a carbon 15 or something like that.. you can not even have the handguard cover.. it needs to be bare barrel and gas tube.. the Carbon is allowed because its light enough.. 

you can read about the carbon 15 here.. 

https://www.guns.com/review/professional-ordnance-carbon-15/

in that configuration the gun would IMO be NJ legal.. 

light enough.. 
no barrel "shroud" 

your only evil features are pistol grip and mag outside the pistol grip.. 

On 7/5/2018 at 6:21 AM, Avalanche said:

"Bushmaster Assault Rifle"

What exactly does this mean?   Bushmaster AR variants are indeed legal.

this is the code exactly how it is written.. 

the Bushmaster Assault Rifle is not a Bushmaster AR15.. what they probably mean is the "Bushmaster Assault Rifle" marketed by Gwinn 

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/05/12/gwinn-firearms-bushmaster-field-strip-original-bushmaster-rifle/

rifles_compare.JPG

Is the new Extar 9mm pistol legal in NJ?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Without the handguard of course?

I haven't tried to take the handguard off yet. Are you interested?

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

https://extarusa.com/ep9.htm

According to the manufacturer's website, it has the weight of 3.85lb without a brace, which is 61.6oz. See the #4 below.

Sorry to be a spoiler.

A semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least TWO of the following:

(1) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

(2) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;

(3) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned;

(4) Manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and/or

(5) A semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm

• Like 1

https://extarusa.com/ep9.htm
According to the manufacturer's website, it has the weight of 3.85lb without a brace, which is 61.6oz. See the #4 below.
Sorry to be a spoiler.

A semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least TWO of the following:
(1) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
(2) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;
(3) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned;
(4) Manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and/or
(5) A semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm
Thanks!

I haven't tried to take the handguard off yet. Are you interested?

I was interested but I haven't even submitted a permit.

Pretty much any pistol that has the mag outside of the grip won't pass the 50oz rule. If it looks cool, it's ain't for NJ.

The EXTAR EXP556 is under 50.

https://www.newfrontierarmory.com/shop/exp-556-pistol-mk-1/

3 hours ago, PK90 said:

New Frontier Armory is moving the production from the Extar factory in AZ to the NFA shops in NV - they should have more EXP556 available in August.

*NOT A LAWYER*

If you build an AR Pistol installing the Juggernaut Tactical Hellfighter Pin,  it turns it in to a fixed magazine, thus redefining the Pistol to no longer being able to accept a detachable magazine outside of the pistol grip. I said this in another post regarding AR-15 Rifles for NJ compliancy, I believe by doing this redefines rifles and pistols from how the law is written and you can keep all other features. Of all the ways to handicap a gun, I think this is best because it doesn't hinder operations too bad.

https://www.turners.com/juggernaut-tactical/juggernaut-tactical-hellfighte-666732

3 hours ago, Lord_Fudd said:

in assembled form, no. you have to break open the action to change magazines.

There's nothing in 2C:39 or 58 that defines detachable magazine.

Given that, my opinion is that the juggernaut product would land you in prison, as all it takes is breaking the AR open to drop a spent mag.

I feel that a product like the Mean Arms mag lock  would be necessary here in the Glorious Peoples Republik of New Jerseystan to make the mag no longer detachable.

YMMV

no it wouldn't :lol: you can't fire the gun with the action broken open. The laws are written with the gun assembled. When the gun is fully assembled you can't change out magazines.

1 hour ago, Lord_Fudd said:

no it wouldn't :lol: you can't fire the gun with the action broken open. The laws are written with the gun assembled. When the gun is fully assembled you can't change out magazines.

By that thinking, disassembling any firearm no longer makes it a firearm? Short of permanently affixing the magazine is akin to Russian roulette. 

9 minutes ago, PK90 said:

By that thinking, disassembling any firearm no longer makes it a firearm? Short of permanently affixing the magazine is akin to Russian roulette. 

You can have parts shipped directly to your door sans lower receiver, correct?

1 minute ago, Lord_Fudd said:

You can have parts shipped directly to your door sans lower receiver, correct?

Correct, but you have all the parts in your scenario. Now you're grasping at straws.

Yeah.... The way of how quickly they are showing at mags being changed out.... Prove it to a "common person on a jury".

but that is the whole point of NJ laws... there is following the strict letter of the law... and then being "effective" and within intentions of the law. 

2 hours ago, Lord_Fudd said:

Please show all of us the appropriate statutes and/or NJ case law that bears out your very foolish assumption.

Otherwise, please shut up and learn something.

Thanks.

EDITED TO ADD:

The video Maks just put up deals with CA Compliance.

You're not in CA, dude.

You're in NJ

Different assholes in Trenton from those in Sacramento.

Assholes all the same, but different ones.

This CA solution will not keep you from being Bubba's girlfriend here in the PRNJ.

Just sayin ...

Edited by njJoniGuy
Just watched the video
  • Like 1

But it breaks the action open, redesigning how the rifle/pistol was intended to operate.

Constructive intent is a very very vague law. You could be hit with CI for having power tools in your house. In free states you could be hit with it for having an AR Pistol and a full length AR rifle, saying that you have a rifle stock on hand to make an registered SBR out of your “pistol” ...but that doesn’t happen.

The Juggernaut pin is 100% California legal, people that use them there can keep the rest of their “scary features” on the rifles and they can have AR Pistols with this equipped. 

There is nothing in the NJ law saying you can’t break the action open to change magazines, the law is written for a fully assembled weapon.

3 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

Please show all of us the appropriate statutes and/or NJ case law that bears out your very foolish assumption.

Otherwise, please shut up and learn something.

Thanks.

1. i have my 07/03, I don’t care.

2. Look at the law as written, it says “ability to accept a detachable magazine outside of the pistol grip” when the AR Pistol is fully assembled, action closed....you cannot change out magazines. Just like California, the idiot law makers there really believe thay breaking the action open makes it more cumbersome for the shooter to do reloads, and the CADOJ approved this device after demonstrations. If it works for California, it works here.

you can continue to be paranoid, unless you’re a lawyer and you can prove me wrong otherwise about the law you are just speculating out of paranoia. Go ahead be paranoid, I’m the one with an FFL...doesn’t affect me.

1 minute ago, njJoniGuy said:

NJ Gun law starts out that all guns are illegal then carves out exemptions.

CA gun law does not.

There is NO EXEMPTION in NJ GUN LAW for assembled vs disassembled

Please write us from the prison library when you get there.

I think that is the biggest thing that many fail to remember.  As @njJoniGuy points out, ALL guns are illegal in NJ EXCEPT... 

Largely, NJ gun owners are gun owners because they fly under the radar for things.

Just look at the M1 Carbine issue... they were declared "legal" until it came to the Attorney General's office and it was then declared illegal.

The basic bullet button is splitting too many hairs... much like the whole magazine issue as it referred to "What is permanently modified?"  Who wants to be the test case?

15 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

Please write us from the prison library when you get there.

Paranoid much? Again, I have my 07/03. I have SBR’s and 3 pin guns legally in NJ because they are on my inventory. 

Want to know so bad? Give Brett Bloom a call. Hell, I’ll call him for you because you’re a dumb fudd.

i’m not a lawyer and neither are you, so if you want to debate this with someone, take it up with one of them. 

I'd like to buy this modified pistol from you with a permit to purchase. But first, can I see how you engrave your info on the receiver? Also, so i don't get jammed up legally, do you have a letter from the NJSP or NJAG approving of this device? If not, please send pics so I can get approval prior to purchasing.

• Like 1
  • Crazy 1