vladtepes

Is *Insert any semi automatic handgun* legal in NJ?

42 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, Chris1 said:

So if I'm reading the semi automatic pistol laws correctly (I'm not a lawyer but I can read) , I could technically;

use an "ar15" lower receiver transferred as a pistol,

Then make it a single shot, thus not creating a semi auto-automatic ar15 pistol- via

http://originalbobsled.com/ARSleds.aspx

This single shot sled in conjunction with a "fixed mag" kit would seem to  make the ar15 pistol legal as the fixed mag bullet button requires tools and disassembly.

how feasible is this? Because it's not a "semi auto assault pistol" (God these laws are stupid), this seems to be legal no? Would any FFL and or smith be willing to verify this and or attempt this?

I am NOT a lawyer.. 

but the question to answer are "can you make a pistol in NJ"... if the answer is yes.. then IMO you could make a single shot AR pistol... because a single shot AR pistol is no longer a semi automatic pistol.. and would not be bound by any of the rules related to ownership of a semi automatic pistol.. because.. well to simply put it.. it would NOT be semi auto.. 

with that said I have owned actual semi auto AR15 pistol.. and currently have a 7.5in AR15 SBR... and IMO at least.. you would totally lose the functional benefits of that platform by being single shot.. 

the benefit of such a platform is a small compact footprint that can send lots of rounds downrange quickly.. 

4 minutes ago, vladtepes said:

I am NOT a lawyer.. 

but the question to answer are "can you make a pistol in NJ"... if the answer is yes.. then IMO you could make a single shot AR pistol... because a single shot AR pistol is no longer a semi automatic pistol.. and would not be bound by any of the rules related to ownership of a semi automatic pistol.. because.. well to simply put it.. it would NOT be semi auto.. 

with that said I have owned actual semi auto AR15 pistol.. and currently have a 7.5in AR15 SBR... and IMO at least.. you would totally lose the functional benefits of that platform by being single shot.. 

the benefit of such a platform is a small compact footprint that can send lots of rounds downrange quickly.. 

Well, I was wondering how the ar15 pistol would be legally allowed with our current burdensome rules.

the mag outside the pistol grip is one check.

and I believe the 50oz 3.1# rule also give it the second mark against it, unless I'm wrong about the total weight of the ar pistol?

1 minute ago, Chris1 said:

Well, I was wondering how the ar15 pistol would be legally allowed with our current burdensome rules.

the mag outside the pistol grip is one check.

and I believe the 50oz 3.1# rule also give it the second mark against it, unless I'm wrong about the total weight of the ar pistol?

correct in NJ for a "normal citizen" to have a semi auto AR pistol or SBR.. I THINK there is one out there that you can get and its like a carbon 15 or something like that.. you can not even have the handguard cover.. it needs to be bare barrel and gas tube.. the Carbon is allowed because its light enough.. 

you can read about the carbon 15 here.. 

https://www.guns.com/review/professional-ordnance-carbon-15/

in that configuration the gun would IMO be NJ legal.. 

light enough.. 
no barrel "shroud" 

your only evil features are pistol grip and mag outside the pistol grip.. 

On 7/5/2018 at 6:21 AM, Avalanche said:

"Bushmaster Assault Rifle"

What exactly does this mean?   Bushmaster AR variants are indeed legal.

this is the code exactly how it is written.. 

the Bushmaster Assault Rifle is not a Bushmaster AR15.. what they probably mean is the "Bushmaster Assault Rifle" marketed by Gwinn 

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/05/12/gwinn-firearms-bushmaster-field-strip-original-bushmaster-rifle/

rifles_compare.JPG

Is the new Extar 9mm pistol legal in NJ?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Without the handguard of course?

I haven't tried to take the handguard off yet. Are you interested?

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

https://extarusa.com/ep9.htm

According to the manufacturer's website, it has the weight of 3.85lb without a brace, which is 61.6oz. See the #4 below.

Sorry to be a spoiler.

A semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least TWO of the following:

(1) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

(2) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;

(3) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned;

(4) Manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and/or

(5) A semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm

1 person likes this

https://extarusa.com/ep9.htm
According to the manufacturer's website, it has the weight of 3.85lb without a brace, which is 61.6oz. See the #4 below.
Sorry to be a spoiler.

A semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least TWO of the following:
(1) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
(2) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;
(3) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned;
(4) Manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and/or
(5) A semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm
Thanks!

I haven't tried to take the handguard off yet. Are you interested?

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

I was interested but I haven't even submitted a permit.