Sign in to follow this  
Buckshot195

Ultimak rails, gas tube.. any feedback

I use my Saiga a lot moving.. not so much standing still and shooting.. so for me having the gun be light is key.. but I also wanted a light..

when I first built my Saiga I used both the ultimak rail AND gas tube..

saiga.jpg

but then I realized it was a lot of unnecessary fluff.. and I could accomplish the same thing with just the gas tube and offset flashlight mount..

this version does it for me.. natural to shoot.. light.. easy to move.. but still has the accessories I wanted..

kvar handguard and ultimak gas tube AImpoint T1 vltor flashlight mount and surefire G2

saiga762finalvlad2.JPG

it is not so much that the rail was heavy.. but it was just bulky and not really needed..

Nice rig Vlad ...you sell or would you sell the tri rail? .. How solid is the gas tube? do you get any movement? I just don't wanna put an optic on it if its gong to be all over the place.

I sold it.. but like I said it is bulky and overkill IMO..

that gun gets thrown around.. and has had a lot of ammo through it.. and has never lost zero.. but the mount (ultimak) will only be as good as the optic and vice versa..

get a solid mount like the ultimak and put some airsoft grade optic on it.. and you will likely have issues.. but get the ultimak and put something good on there and it WILL hold zero.. no question..

also as another point.. ultimak + aimpoint = real time co-witness.. I see my irons WHILE using the red dot.. so if the red dot failed my irons would be right there..

vlad, do you feel that the optic being that far away from the users eye prohibits you in any way? as opposed to having it mounted above the dust cover.

I have never used or seen one first hand, so I am not familiar with the optics features, but the first thing that pops into my head is that it seems really far away. How big is the optic opening with it shouldered? size of a quarter ? half dollar?

Thanks.

vlad, do you feel that the optic being that far away from the users eye prohibits you in any way? as opposed to having it mounted above the dust cover.

I have never used or seen one first hand, so I am not familiar with the optics features, but the first thing that pops into my head is that it seems really far away. How big is the optic opening with it shouldered? size of a quarter ? half dollar?

Thanks.

Optics mounted forward like Vlad's are designed for more of a CQB, whereas optics up by your face are more for longer-range shots.

my saiga is a run and gun sub 150 yards type gun.. it hits man sized steel center mass all day long in those ranges.. and as john pointed out.. it is primarily a CQB rifle.. the red dot is EXTREMELY fast to get on target.. and I actually prefer it forward.. when I shoot this gun at close range I keep both eyes open which allows me to go from target to target quickly.. the cartridge (7.62x39) for me is not an ultra precision round.. it is a battle round IMO.. and that is why the gun is set up as it is.. to maximize everything that the gun can do (hit COM and move from target to target quickly)...

also to note.. never mount the optic to the dust cover.. dust cover mounts lose zero and move around with time.. if you want a scope then yes you will mount it in the rear.. but utilize the scope mount on the side.. that is why it is there.. but the notion of a scoped AK in 7.62x39 is a concept that is lost to me.. as it is not a precision round.. it is a hit COM type round.. IMO of course.. now a Saiga in other calibers (308, 5.45, etc..) a magnified optic might be useful..and that is not to say that 7.62x39 is some grossly inaccurate round.. its strong point is just NOT pinpoint accuracy..

+1 on Ultimak gas tube.

Using it. No issues. Love it.

To the question of with side gas ports vs without side gas ports. my primary beater is ( to my shame ) a WASR that had a OEM gas tube without side gas ports . well i was able to get Ultimak GT with side gas ports for really really reeeeaaallly cheap . And never had an issue because of it. so Yee just saying :)

No, not for looks.

The T1 T2 & T3 AKs had the horizontal vents located horizontaly along the gas tube. Then for the AKM they were put around the circumference of the gas block. It was done because it was realised the gas could be vented much sooner with no ill effect at all on cycling because the piston gets all the gas it needs by the time it clears those holes. The AK is over-gassed by design so its no problem at all. The AKM style vents keep the gun a little cleaner.

At the end of the day though, any AK will work with either vent style, both vents, or no vents.