magic7

RTSP Firearms

Some people have a shotgun loaded with 00 for home defense (not for hunting)

It would be a good idea to shoot it once or twice a year to make sure it works, and make sure you are comfortable shooting the gun with that ammo,

so when the time comes (hopefully never) you are confident in the gun and your ability to use it.

I also understand RTSP's desire to keep their range in good condition, wish there was a compromise.

Some people have a shotgun loaded with 00 for home defense (not for hunting)

It would be a good idea to shoot it once or twice a year to make sure it works, and make sure you are comfortable shooting the gun with that ammo,

so when the time comes (hopefully never) you are confident in the gun and your ability to use it.

I also understand RTSP's desire to keep their range in good condition, wish there was a compromise.

Ahh, okay. Fair enough.

I got some practice in at RTSP today. I put rounds through my Mark III, GP-100 and I was finally able to try my new trigger pack from Bill Springfield in my PTR-91. I was very impressed with the facilities and the owners. No complaints from me. I highly recommend this range if you can afford it.

Noob question: I see in the range rules:

All firearms must arrive and leave the range in a case. No uncased firearms may leave the shooting booth area.

Would keeping a handgun in a zippered gun rug in a duffel bag be sufficient?

Edited: I meant "gun rug", not "range rug".

My wife and I were at RTSP this morning (from 10am to 11am). Have to say that we were both very impressed. It is obviously clean and new, the computerized range changers were just great!

A few points of feedback/opportunities/comments

There will be obvious comparisons to ShoreShot for me as both are places I would typically shoot. ShoreShot is slightly further away.

•  
  • I find it really distracting when someone is shooting a rifle at an indoor range! The noise/air push is just too much (note this is not about what earplugs or headset I am wearing)
  • Would be great if they offered a 10-pass membership like Shoreshot. i.e. you can come 10 times, are classed as a member, and allows you to try it out before committing to the full year's membership.
  • The staff were very helpful, friendly which is A+ for me
  • I sent through a price request from the NJ Gun Forum and they responded on the same day. That is A+, whereas I've never had a quote response from ShoreShot via the forum
  • Would be great if they could post their rental list on this forum!!!

They are still building up their stock, however it was still reasonable. Non-member prices of $20 an hour are fine. I will take a look at what rentals they have next time.

We will definitely go again.

TheWombat

I've been to RTSP twice so far, very very nice. Plan to go as often as I can!

On the rifle point above, they are loud, but I have noticed that they try to put them away (port 1) from handgun shooters.

I shot my AR and AK when I went the first time and joined (of course), then brought 3 teenagers the next day (got to get the next generation going).

They loved it, we shot 22s, 5.7s, and even my 45 - but the one they liked the most was the 22LR AR with a scope and bipod (hard to miss at 25 yards :-).

Also the ports themselves are larger (so further away), and I did enjoy having the room.

If you go on a Friday afternoon and are going West on I80, I would suggest cutting down I287 to Route 10 (I80 got pretty bad).

FamilyMan

I took the ride out to RTSP last Friday. I had mentioned on other threads that I wanted to shoot there now and then, but it was probably too far from me to make it worthwhile for me to join. As I was driving out there, I started doing the math. At the pre-opening price of $250, which includes five $10 guest passes, I would only need to make it over there 10 times in a year to break even. So for me, joining went from a no to a no-brainer.

The place is great! Lots of room, nice inventory for a new business. The range is bright and airy, and the owners are all friendly and helpful. They have clearly invested a lot of their time and money to make the place first-rate. I urge all of you to support them to help make their venture successful.

Non Members are $20 per hour (if two share a port $20 for the first $10 for the second).

isnt that alittle pricey?

I mean the BH is less that $15hr & dont charge for sharing a port.

looks like I still maybe better off venturing into the hood to shoot.

Most places charge per shooter, not per port so they are actually rewarding you if you share a port? My brother stopped by today and said the place was real nice, he loved the electronic ports and said the owners were very friendly and helpful. Of course he is only 10 minutes away from them and I am all the way down the shore. :icon_e_confused:

Most places charge per shooter, not per port so they are actually rewarding you if you share a port? My brother stopped by today and said the place was real nice, he loved the electronic ports and said the owners were very friendly and helpful. Of course he is only 10 minutes away from them and I am all the way down the shore. :icon_e_confused:

I feel the same about Ft Dix & CJRPC, wish I was closer!

Its "Pulaski"

And i dont give a fugg about anything but holding onto my constitutional rights. Businesses come and go,some charge more then others,some are well run and some are not. Time will tell which of these RTSP is.

Dont like the prices then go elsewhere . I personally think the hourly is a little steep(considering it's one shooter only), however ill take the 40 minute ride to check them out. I hunt up that way anyway.

Eff you all and have a Happy Thanksgiving :icon_twisted:

• Like 2

I got to check out RTSP over the weekend. Brought my M4, and my buddy brought his M&P 15-22.

Very nice facility, in a nutshell. Obviously everything is new, so this is expected. Hopefully the cleanliness is maintained in the future. The store has a nice open feel to it, and everything is organized neatly. There is still plenty of room for more inventory to be added. I noticed there was a kitchen nook area. Not sure if that's for employees or anyone who goes to the range, but that was a nice touch. The bathroom, unlike any other range I've been to, is really clean. I thought it was awesome how D-Lead hand soap is provided. A+ in all matters of sanitation.

When you shoot there for the first time, you are required to fill out some paperwork and watch a safety video. This can be a bit of a chore, but I can understand why this is done for liability reasons.

As someone else mentioned, the entrance into the range itself with the dual doors that cannot be opened together is a great touch. I've been to ranges where someone will have the door open while shots are going off, which is not always pleasant for those who happen to be right outside. This is completely prevented thanks to the door system.

The range itself is exactly as described by others. Clean, spacious, and roomy. A nice touch would be to to have a hook in each port to put your jacket, but this is a minor detail. I tossed my jacket on the counter to the rear of the firing line since it wasn't too crowded. The electronic target system was nice, though I didn't play with it too much. When I first saw the target hanger, I thought it was a little flimsy. Essentially, you use 2 small binder clips to attach your target(s) to a piece of cardboard that is hung from the metal arm. In the end, this wasn't a problem for me, but I can see how some people may lose their targets down range if they enough of their shots are too high. The ventilation is outstanding. I think this must be the only indoor range where I didn't smell much of the smoke. Lighting was decent, although I would've personally preferred it to be a little brighter downrange.

We were required to hand over our licenses while using the range so they can track who is in what port. Unfortunately, when leaving, my buddy and I forgot about this, and we drove a few lights down Route 10 before realizing they still had our IDs. Maybe we were just really absent minded that day, but I can see this happening to others too. My suggestion would be to utilize another system in tracking who is using a particular port.

In summary, my buddy and I had a great time. The staff was really friendly and welcoming. We shot for well over an hour, even though we only paid for an hour. I was expecting them to kick us out when the hour was up, but since it wasn't crowded, they let us keep shooting, and we were there for a good hour and a half. We both left with smiles on our faces...and clean hands too, thanks to the soap! I definitely will come back here soon.

• Like 1

My brother nascaryankee and I were also there for the first time on Sunday morning and had a great time. He brought his Beretta 92FS INOX, and I brought my H&K P30 and HK45 and shot for about an hour. It's a very nice facility, and the staff was friendly and helpful. The intro video is thankfully short and to the point, so that wasn't a big deal.

Went and tried the place out today. Nice and roomy, clean and well lit. The guys that own the place are nice and helpful. If your in the area I recommend giving the place a go. I also ordered a Glock 21 Gen 4 from them today and they gave me a good price.

Thanks

Hearing nothing but awesome things about this range so far. I just have one question about them. Do they have any weird rules (like the bullethole)? IE certain brands of ammo may not be used, no headshots unless you are an LEO, don't look funny at the RO or else he'll stare at you and snort like an angry gorilla?

Hearing nothing but awesome things about this range so far. I just have one question about them. Do they have any weird rules (like the bullethole)? IE certain brands of ammo may not be used, no headshots unless you are an LEO, don't look funny at the RO or else he'll stare at you and snort like an angry gorilla?

Yes.

http://www.rtsponline.com/downloads/files/Member%20Sign%20Up%20Sheets.pdf

although I would've personally preferred it to be a little brighter downrange.

Did they turn on the lane light on? Each firing lane has its own lighting...its easy to get sidetracked and sometimes they forget to turn it on lol...just wave to get their attn and point to the light, or poke your head out the door and let them know.

As far as rentals go, they basically took a bunch of their personal firearms for now and have them for rent. Anyone wanting to know what they have for rentals can call up and ask.

Do you have to fill out one of those waivers every time you shoot at the range? Gosh, I hope not.

I understand the "no rapid fire" rule but the "3 sec b/t every shot" is a little too much. Hopefully that one is not enforced too strictly.