magic7

RTSP Firearms

Could they be giving leo's a discount because it may be a less of a "liability"? Just an idea. I really think the discount should just be extended universally to all "public safety". It is what it is though and im happy with the 50.00 (better than nothing).

I seriously doubt their insurance company asked how many of the shooter would be LEOs , accountants, lawyers ect. If anything the potential range use for Leo's is higher than the public since they have to qualify on a regular basis and a discount to them would be more costly than someone who doesn't use the range as much.. Also Leos that I've spoke to tell me their dept supplies their ammo and weapon so that wouldn't be a large profit center.

I stopped in today to buy a gift card. They seemed like a nice place, but one guy working there seemed kinda grumpy when I asked if I could shoot steel cased ammo if I cleaned up after myself (answer was No, followed by "Revolvers only"). I found it a little funny that they were all openly carrying, which I have no problem with. Guess I am just used to PRNJ

The reason they get a larger discount is extremely simple. It has nothing to do with profit margins or liability.

When you work in a profession you are charged a professional rate not a retail rate or discounted retail rate.

For cops self defense is a large part of their profession and their job heavily involves firearms and accessories, as well as training.

EMS get a discount simply because they are serving our public which is great, but it doesn't hold as much weight as someone who needs the product in their every day job.

For Example: If you work at a gun store or you work for a training company in the firearms industry you do not pay anywhere near retail rates.

Anything that you want to buy personally, that can be used for your job, you can buy directly from the manufacturer at profession rates.

These rates usually start at wholesale and are sometimes up to 35% off wholesale.

So there are three price groups:

Customers pay retail

Company pays wholesale

employees of companies and people working in the industry pay professional rates at wholesale or below.

In this case there is no manufacturer to buy directly from and there in no wholesale or suggested retail, so its harder to quantify.

It is a professional courtesy to extend a greater discount and often a wholesale or below wholesale rate to someone who uses your product in the course of their job.

I don't see how you can say the EMS and Fire are being treated like second class citizens. They are getting a discount. The average Joe is being treated like a second class citizen because he pays the full rate. If self defense through firearms didn't happen to be part of the cops job they would pay the same rate as EMS and Fire. My mom has been a volunteer with the Minute Men for years and she has no problem with the cops paying less.

I am not LEO or EMS or FF, but my take is this...

LEO gets a larger discount because they carry and shoot firearms on the job. Plain and simple. If someone holds up a store at gunpoint, the LEO's will be the ones who return fire. (in NJ of course)

EMS and FF do not carry or shoot guns for their job (at least not in NJ)

LEO gets a larger discount because they carry and shoot firearms on the job. Plain and simple. If someone holds up a store at gunpoint, the LEO's will be the ones who return fire. (in NJ of course)

EMS and FF do not carry or shoot guns for their job (at least not in NJ)

Dont forget our brother's and sisters that have the skill set and are employed as tactical Paramedics in NJ.

Drove over their today with a co-worker during lunch hoping to get a few rounds in with some rentals but the placed was packed. We end up just looking around quickly and heading back to work since we couldn't wait. The place is very nice, clean, well lit etc. However, I was surprised by the rental ammo pricing. Maybe I am just too far removed from my rental ammo days but they seemed pretty steep to me. Is this just par for the course for NJ rental ammo prices?

For example, I think it was $28 for a box of 9mm for non-members.

I only remember the 9mm pricing as well which was just under $28 for non-members and about $16.50 for members. The ammo prices are clearly noted on an overhead screen.

This past summer I rented at a range in San Diego and I could have sworn the ammo prices were only marked up like $5.00 - $7.00 above retail per box.

This isn't meant to be a slam on RTSP I was just curious since I have done almost all my shooting in state at Cherry Ridge.

As a business, I don't think they can survive on gun sales, the range is where they will make their money. If they are discounting memberships and trying to match prices on guns, they are making little on that. Once you have bought your membership and any guns from them, you are not making them any money, yet you are shooting and it costs them money just to keep the lights and heat on. Commercial utility rates are much higher than residential. They have to be charging enough on rentals, ammo, expendables and accessories to make their monthly bills. If it too steep, vote with your wallets and don't go there but don't fault them for trying to run a (successful) business.

• Like 1

So as a non-member it'll cost me $58 to rent a 9mm for 1 hr? Almost 3x the cost for a box of 9 that I'm used to paying? Pass.

Does that include the gun, a box of ammo and range time? I thought I saw the rentals marked as 10 bucks.

Went shooting today. Had a great time.

Pistol shooting was fun and all I asked for. Range officer hung around when there were 20 people in the range because some massive group was there, and left when it was a few individuals who knew what they were doing. I was aiming for headshots after awhile and rapid firing with my rifle (.22 LR lever action, but still "rapid firing") and nobody said anything. They didn't even kick me off the range for staying an extra half hour since it was slow.

I'll definitely be heading back. For $20 an hour at 5 minutes away, I wont complain. Beats the $300+ other places want for a membership.

As for those complaining that EMS/Firefighters being treated like second class citizens, RTSP is doing you a favor by giving you a discount. I want LEO's and Military members to have easy range access because, IMO, most LEO's and Military don't get enough range time. My town Paramedics don't need to use firearms, so IMO, I don't see why they should get "special treatment" over the average citizen in a non-applicable field. I am not a "second-class citizen" to someone who volunteers their time serving their community.

As a business, I don't think they can survive on gun sales, the range is where they will make their money. If they are discounting memberships and trying to match prices on guns, they are making little on that. Once you have bought your membership and any guns from them, you are not making them any money, yet you are shooting and it costs them money just to keep the lights and heat on. Commercial utility rates are much higher than residential. They have to be charging enough on rentals, ammo, expendables and accessories to make their monthly bills. If it too steep, vote with your wallets and don't go there but don't fault them for trying to run a (successful) business.

As a consumer I don't agree,that overpricing and discrimination(member & non member)

is good practice for a new business.

You get more returning customers having decent prices and good service.IMO

Personally I'll never rent a gun,or spend any money in a store,when the seller forces

me to spend double the price on ammo,for a rental gun.

P.S.Taking membership fees and selling guns its making money for the store, if you want more money

work for it.Philosophy-once you spend money,you become worthless don't seat well

with me personally.

P.S.Taking membership fees and selling guns its is making money for the store, if you want more money

work for it. The Philosophy that once you spend money you become worthless don't doesn't seat sit well

with me, personally.

I didn't say a customer become worthless once they buy a gun or membership, what I said is that the business needs a continuous stream of customers spending money to keep the doors open. They do that buy selling ammo, targets, accessories, giving classes and rentals.

I am not LE so I don't wouldn't get any discount there, but I read somewhere that this business is owned by LE or former LE and it is logical for them to give "their own" a "family" discount.

No, but you don't have to buy their ammo unless you're renting their firearms. Bring your own ammo.

Thanks. I am planning on checking this place out soon. I'll probably bring one of my own guns to shoot primarily but I did want to try out one of their rentals as well. I guess one box of highway robbery ammo won't hurt... that much. I understand everybody has to have a markup and pay their bills, but charging DOUBLE what their competitors charge for the same ammo is offensive.

Actually, they won't, they'll just write the report. The store owner is the one who will return fire, IF new jersey thought his life important enough to allow him to exercise his 2nd amendment rights.

Once again RTSP gets a thumbs up from me. Arrived there at 2:30 this afternoon, bought an hour of range time and exited the range around 4:20. Apparently as long as there isn't a line of people waiting to use the range then no one is watching the clock. No unpleasant attitudes from either the person working the counter or the R.O.