david8613

is this normal?

i went to the range over the weekend with with my sig p226 40 cal and glock20 10mm. while cleaning them i noticed my sig had some pretty ugly burn marks under the slide. the weird thing is i shot the glock20 way more that day and she has no marks?

sig

98d8c83a.jpg

sig

5acc0599.jpg

sig

5acc0599.jpg

glock

24ee8110.jpg

It almost looks like case hardening but im doubtful that is the case. What cleaner/oil do you use? It might be the residue that was left after it got heated.

Im sure one of the resident sig gurus will chime in with a more definitive answer.

i went to the range over the weekend with with my sig p226 40 cal and glock 20 mm. while cleaning them i noticed my sig had some pretty ugly burn marks under the slide. the weird thing is i shot the glock20 way more that day and she has no marks?

Wow a Glock 20mm. Just busting. Yeah my fingers type faster than my brain too. :)

As to the sig, I've had sessions where I've fired a couple of hundred rounds and the slide barely got warm. So I highly doubt its heat discoloring the slide. I would think the barrel would be a mess if that much heat was transferred to the slide. Like previously stated what cleaner and lube did you use? Maybe its an oil and water rainbow effect.

I agree that it's heat and oil related.

I had a marathon shoot with one of my 226's and a few guys. 20 Mags and a 50 cal can of .40. 800 rounds one mag after the other. She was hot enough to feel the heat with our left thumbs and on teh front strap of the grip. Pretty hot but no damage.