autoxnyc

Gun Safe Mover Recommendation

I will soon need to move my gun safe from one house to another(within 15 miles). Anyone have any recommendations on movers with a great rate? I once called a place that sells safe and they wanted something like $400 or $500 to move one. Is that the going rate?

thanks!

I had gotten a price to have my safe delivered and installed (drilled to the fl) That price was $225. So that doesn't seem so unreasonable being they are taking it out and then re-installing. The less stairs they have to go up and down, the cheaper the price. That I know for a fact.

Wow that's some serious coin to move a safe, had no idea.

How big is it and how heavy, Just wondering what you might be able to get done with a bunch of straps, a 19.95 flatbed rental from Home Depot and a case of beer and some grub for your friends..

Wow that's some serious coin to move a safe, had no idea.

How big is it and how heavy, Just wondering what you might be able to get done with a bunch of straps, a 19.95 flatbed rental from Home Depot and a case of beer and some grub for your friends..

Mine is ~450lbs. The company I paid brought 3 guys and yelled/shouted/screamed while moving it.

While they were doing that, were you in the bathroom with you're douche kit removing the sand from your vag??

Sipping an appletini and watching them all get hernias.

Down 1 flight. The floorplan prevented it from being easy due to a sharp turn at the base of the stairs. This necessitated the safe being physically lifted halfway down the stairs. It was worth the money IMO.

i dont know if you realize this or not but the door comes off the safe (but it is heavy) and that takes a good amount of weight away . all you have to do is lift it upand it comes right off . check out some videos on you tube. my safe weighs about 500lbs my dad and i moved from the basement where i bought it to my house it was a bit of a chore but do able with the right dolly .

I got a quote for around 200 and that was to go upstairs, but I ended up moving mine by myself from garage to a back room instead. It was a few steps, safe is around 450lbs but when the door is off it was probably 300. Unless you have a real big one doing yourself with some friends is a nice option if you can. Going rate for a basic safe move would be under 300 as a fair price in my opinion. 500+ dollars would be what you would pay if you were moving something real big, like say the Fort Knox Legend.

When had my safe moved in (1150 lbs), I called Liberty Safe of NJ. They are located in Mt Laurel. I needed themnto go up a couple steps and then down a step. They were $150. They were also very professional and took care not to damage anything (house or safe). I have no problem recommending them if they are close to you.

I moved a 500 lb safe twice. The first time I went to a small locksmith store in Montclair NJ. He charged $175 bucks and moved it all by himself with a battery powered motorized handtruck.

The second time I called a safe moving place in bergen county (don't remember the name). They charged me $500 bucks and had no special equipment other then 3 big guys and a regular hand truck.

The second move was a bit further so I thought professional safe movers would be the way to go. It wasn't, the locksmith was cheaper and better equipped.

Just a thought ...

I bought one of these hand trucks from Harbor Freight to move a bunch of oak logs. Use a 20% off coupon and it is only $40. It has come in very handy for moving a refrigerator, filing cabinet, etc. The big tires go up and down steps easily.

600 lb. Capacity Bigfoot Hand Truck

I still say a couple friends and some beer and BBQ afterwords and your good, when there is a will there is a way, Heck I am not a big guy by any means but I have been able to move a washer and a dryer both up and down a flight of stairs and they have a turn and not a straight run. Refrigerators down to the basement. Oh, and I didn't drop any of them, a hand truck and straps are your friends.

I have moved 3 600+ lb safes, and 2 500+ lb safes with two friends and a hand truck. If you can, take the door off, as most of the time it weighs about 1/3rd of the total weight. Even the internal hinge doors come off.

I moved one 1900 lb safe from one side of a garage to the other side with my truck (pulling it out with a strap, and pushing it back with an 8 foot 4x4).

My most recent safe was well over 800 pounds and I moved it in with two friends. Only two steps, though. We could have moved it up or down dozens of steps but I get concerned about safety with anything over 500 pounds. If you want it in the basement and have Bilco doors then rent the Home Depot truck, back it up to the bilco doors, and use a 4 pulley system from Harbor Freight for about $20. You could also lower it by attaching the straps and cable to a tow kit (real trailer hitch) on your truck. Cover the stairs with carpet or cardboard or both.

Start with an appliance truck. Then, roll it on wooden dowels. You put the dowels in from both sides, they stick in less than half-way and stick out as little as possible. Whenever you have to tip the safe, put a towel under the edge that will press on the floor during the tip. Caster skate skids can also be useful but are not necessary and will not do the job by themselves. If you have crappy ass golf balls then some people like to roll with that.

The important thing is the plan and rehearse the entire move with your friends before you start. And then, before you change anything (direction/equipment/rollers), re-plan the next two steps ahead. Simply bringing a safe into a room pointing in the wrong direction can turn out to be a headache. Bringing it to the end of a hallway pointing in the wrong direction is much worse.

Metal pipes work well to roll a safe on. Just lean the one way and it under and have like 3 so you can take out and replace to keep moving.

Skates work nicely if you have good equipment. And I agree the handtruck is best way for stairs. I would never pay to have the safe moved. Me and my dad did mine and his, his bring around 500. Mine being around 1500lbs (not originally a gun safe, a converted one).

Just go slow and one step at a time. Straps help alot.

When had my safe moved in (1150 lbs), I called Liberty Safe of NJ. They are located in Mt Laurel. I needed themnto go up a couple steps and then down a step. They were $150. They were also very professional and took care not to damage anything (house or safe). I have no problem recommending them if they are close to you.

Here's another vote for Liberty Safes of New Jersey. They delivered my Lincoln 35, and did an absolutely outstanding job. If I ever move again, I'll be calling them to move mine. It was a tight squeeze getting it in, some places having less then a quarter inch clearance, but they managed it without issue or damage to my home or new safe.

IIRC I paid 250 or so to move the safe from my garage(where the deliveryman left it) to my basement(one flight of stairs).

Bringing up a old thread. Ok so here is the deal, getting a new safe and even though you will see I posted earlier in this thread get some friends and I would is it was only a 400-500 LBS safe. My problem is I will have one delaivered in another 4-5 weeks from now and will need to go from the garage to my basement. I can go though the house down the 1 fligh of stairs, or better yet, around the house and in through the sliding glass doors of my walk-out basement.

Safe is listed at 950LBS and more than I want to attempt with frineds even if I pulled the door off to make it lighter.

Any recomendations for companines that will do this in Sayreville?

Bringing up a old thread. Ok so here is the deal, getting a new safe and even though you will see I posted earlier in this thread get some friends and I would is it was only a 400-500 LBS safe. My problem is I will have one delaivered in another 4-5 weeks from now and will need to go from the garage to my basement. I can go though the house down the 1 fligh of stairs, or better yet, around the house and in through the sliding glass doors of my walk-out basement.

Safe is listed at 950LBS and more than I want to attempt with frineds even if I pulled the door off to make it lighter.

Hey Harry, where you been? Welcome back.

Do you have cellar doors outside with steps going into your basement ?  

can you get a forklift to those steps ?

remove the steps lower the safe in on straps then you can move it from their, set it down on some pipes to roll it..

Hey Harry, where you been? Welcome back.

Thanks for the welcome back. Vacationioning or as my wife calls it Paycationing,  Wife even put up a "Welcome Home" banner in our basment, and cancelled a vacation because she was tired of unpacking and packing, Now if I could make a little time to go shooing all would be right in the world.. :)

Thanks for the welcome back. Vacationioning or as my wife calls it Paycationing,  Wife even put up a "Welcome Home" banner in our basment, and cancelled a vacation because she was tired of unpacking and packing, Now if I could make a little time to go shooing all would be right in the world.. :)

Nice. Did you retire from your day job?