zoid

Big difference in accuracy between conversions and dedicated 22 pistols?

Is there a big difference in accuracy/performance between a 22lr conversion kit (ie Glock/Kimber/Sig)

or a 22 clone pistol (M&P22, GSG1911, etc.) vs. a dedicated 22lr pistol like the Ruger Mark II/III,

Buckmark, Beretta Neos, etc.?

I personally like conversion kits because the trigger and grip remain the same on my favorite pistols.

Kinda like a cheap way to keep enjoying your favorite firearm. Also, no need to burn a permit.

I have shot a Mark III, S&W617, GSG 1911 22lr, but I can't really judge performance/accuracy as I was

new to shooting at the time and it was a long time ago.

I'm thinking bout the Sig 22lr upper for my 228. What your thoughts/experiences?

i have a ruger mark III hunter with the bull fluted barrel and it is amazingly accurate one ragged hole all day long

And,this Ruger accuracy is as it should be. I'm sure you are doing your part as well...

The Ruger Mk I revolutionized the 22cal pistol market. The Mk III is the grandchild and Mk II the highest point in the evolution.

• Like 1

I mainly use my 22 conversion for Static Steel where accuracy is not that important.

Meaning you gotta do your part of course, but you don't need to shoot 1" groups at

50 yards.

Do you think the Mark I/II/IIIs, Buckmarks, and the likes serve any advantage for such

matches that I am overlooking?

I also want to start using my conversion for some of the OBRAMs 22 action matches when

they start again.

I think I just like the feel of a real production gun and that's why I like the conversions.

I always considered getting a dedicated, from the ground up, 22 pistol but haven't found

one that I think I'll have as much fun with. Things change though.

There are conversion kits out there that are on par with dedicated 22s. I have a Bob Marvel Unit 1 1911 kit that comes with a test target with .7" 50 yrd 5 shot group. All of their unit one kits will consistently shoot sub 1" groups at 50. You can even pay extra to get one that shoots under .5.

There are conversion kits out there that are on par with dedicated 22s. I have a Bob Marvel Unit 1 1911 kit that comes with a test target with .7" 50 yrd 5 shot group. All of their unit one kits will consistently shoot sub 1" groups at 50. You can even pay extra to get one that shoots under .5.

You should say there is one conversion kit on par, this is the first i have herd of that has good backing on its claim. But figure for the price of the conversion you can get an entire NEW pistol.

Personally, i don't like conversion kits but that's just me. It's not a means to shoot a gun i enjoy at a cheaper rate, because your getting cheaper results. It's one thing if u truly do not like the look of the 22 target pistols, they do require a certain taste. If your not going to get an accurate dedicated 22 to begin with then there isnt much of a difference, as there are dedicated 22's that shoot worse then a conversion kit.

The main thing to consider here... what is the intended use? what conversions are available to you? and how do they perform? I would argue that a sig conversion will not be on par with a ruger or buckmark. But does it need to be? If i was just looking to put lead down range, then my only concern would be is the conversion reliable. If i wanted something accurate i would go with a dedicated target pistol.

It's hard to compare a target .22 to a conversion, even the rugers have dedicated target .22lrs with heavy bull barrels compared to there other models. When u pick up a target .22 u will know it, they have some weight to them.

You should say there is one conversion kit on par, this is the first i have herd of that has good backing on its claim. But figure for the price of the conversion you can get an entire NEW pistol.

Personally, i don't like conversion kits but that's just me. It's not a means to shoot a gun i enjoy at a cheaper rate, because your getting cheaper results. It's one thing if u truly do not like the look of the 22 target pistols, they do require a certain taste. If your not going to get an accurate dedicated 22 to begin with then there isnt much of a difference, as there are dedicated 22's that shoot worse then a conversion kit.

The main thing to consider here... what is the intended use? what conversions are available to you? and how do they perform? I would argue that a sig conversion will not be on par with a ruger or buckmark. But does it need to be? If i was just looking to put lead down range, then my only concern would be is the conversion reliable. If i wanted something accurate i would go with a dedicated target pistol.

It's hard to compare a target .22 to a conversion, even the rugers have dedicated target .22lrs with heavy bull barrels compared to there other models. When u pick up a target .22 u will know it, they have some weight to them.

I did handle a dedicated target 22 before and it is quite different. I guess the factor I'm talking about

is an intangible one: The Fun Factor. Blasting a bunch of 22 is just good ol' fun and to me it's more

fun when it is based on a real center fire pistol. You have a point, I can't get used to the dedicated/

target 22 style/looks/feel. It's such a different platform and one that I haven't warmed up to. But I really

do admire and respect their accuracy. For my intents and purposes I would not need to (nor would I be able, LOL!)

to shoot under an inch at 50 yards.

I have a Kimber Gold Medal II with a Kimber 22lr conversion kit. It is amazingly accurate, shooting just a tad behind my High Standard Victor. I would call it even with my S&W 41. Never expected such accuracy. Even though the Kimber manual says Hi Velocity 22LR, mine cycles just fine with Federal 711B and Auglia standard velocity. If you can't have both, the Kimber 22 kit on the Gold Medal II is a real winner.

I have a Kimber Gold Medal II with a Kimber 22lr conversion kit. It is amazingly accurate, shooting just a tad behind my High Standard Victor. I would call it even with my S&W 41. Never expected such accuracy. Even though the Kimber manual says Hi Velocity 22LR, mine cycles just fine with Federal 711B and Auglia standard velocity. If you can't have both, the Kimber 22 kit on the Gold Medal II is a real winner.

Mine is the same set up except on a Kimber TLE RL II. It really is plenty accurate for me

and so much fun.

I'm thinking about getting the Sig P220 Classic 22 and converting it later to 45ACP just cause

I wanted a Sig conversion anyways and a P220.

I have ordered the AA .22 conversion kit for my Glock 34, although they seem to be in short supply, so it could be awhile before I get it. Anyone have experience with these things for Glocks? I want to compete in an RF bullseye league, and I don't want to burn a P2P for a dedicated .22 pistol, especially since I don't even know if I'm going to like shooting in league competition.

I have ordered the AA .22 conversion kit for my Glock 34, although they seem to be in short supply, so it could be awhile before I get it. Anyone have experience with these things for Glocks? I want to compete in an RF bullseye league, and I don't want to burn a P2P for a dedicated .22 pistol, especially since I don't even know if I'm going to like shooting in league competition.

Out of curiosity, couldn't you also get the G17 AA 22lr kit for the G34? Same frame right?

I want to try some bullseye/accuracy type matches as well with my 22 conversion, but I'm not

so sure it'd make the cut. OK, well, I'm not so sure I'd make the cut :sarcastichand:

Out of curiosity, couldn't you also get the G17 AA 22lr kit for the G34? Same frame right?

I want to try some bullseye/accuracy type matches as well with my 22 conversion, but I'm not

so sure it'd make the cut. OK, well, I'm not so sure I'd make the cut :sarcastichand:

To answer your question, from the info I saw, it looked like one kit fits several models, with the G17 being among them.

As for your second paragraph, yeah, I'm right there with you. It could be ugly.

My AA Glock 19 conversion kit groups at about 6" at 25yd (resting on sandbags).

The fun factor is high. I like shooting a 22 that feels like a full size service pistol.

Target.22's are full size pistols, and they actually weigh more with bull barrels. My MKIII is bigger and heavier then my 92. The only real difference is grip angle, and aesthetics.

Target.22's are full size pistols, and they actually weigh more with bull barrels. My MKIII is bigger and heavier then my 92. The only real difference is grip angle, and aesthetics.

I meant that they look like service pistols. My 22/45 with 6" bull barrel is no lightweight for sure.

Another "funny" thing about conversion kits. The only .22 semi-auto that never had a failure to eject is the conversion kit for the Beretta 92.

Advantage Arms conversion kits come with a note - don't use Federal bulk ammo. I decided to give it a try anyway. Failed to extract every single time. I quit trying after about 20 rounds.

Anybody have any idea why this would happen. Case expansion, rim dimensions? Any ideas?

I meant that they look like service pistols. My 22/45 with 6" bull barrel is no lightweight for sure.

Another "funny" thing about conversion kits. The only .22 semi-auto that never had a failure to eject is the conversion kit for the Beretta 92.

Advantage Arms conversion kits come with a note - don't use Federal bulk ammo. I decided to give it a try anyway. Failed to extract every single time. I quit trying after about 20 rounds.

Anybody have any idea why this would happen. Case expansion, rim dimensions? Any ideas?

I never understood why two seemingly identical rounds would yield such different results.

I didn't know they had a kit for the 92, pretty sweet.

I never understood why two seemingly identical rounds would yield such different results.

I didn't know they had a kit for the 92, pretty sweet.

Beretta made one, but was expensive and seems to have disappeared from the market. They are made by other companies now.