n4p226r

in wall rifle safe

anyone have any experience with them? i know you can probably open them with a crow bar. but im just looking for a way to put a safe in the small closet i have. better locked in there than in a soft case under the bed.

it seems there are three of them available

the v-line closet vault seems the most expensive but also the most roomy.

http://www.gunsafes.com/store/i/is.aspx?path=/Shared/images/V-Line/51653-SA.jpg

the other cheap options are the

stack on safe

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71xA6qor7BL._AA1500_.jpg

and the homak safe

http://images.amazon.com/images/G/01/richmedia/images/cover.gif

both of which i wonder if i'd get a rifle with a pistol grip or a 10/22 with bipod/scope attached in them

I agree about the hidden nature; that's the best part about these safes.

I have a Stack-On safe that, although not an in-wall safe, I use the same principal by hiding it within a wardrobe and bolting it to the floor and wall.

They won't stop a crook who has come prepared with tools and the knowledge of its existence, but it will deter the random thief who stumbles across it. Also, if there *is* a theft of your firearms it's a lot better to be able to report to the police "I had my AR15 and WASR-10 stolen from my safe" rather than "I had my AR15 and WASR-10 taken from under my bed where I hide them".

A few things from my experience:

- Some longarms take up more space than you might initially expect. AR15s and scoped rifles are tall, and sporting shotguns, muzzle-loaders and early military rifles (Mosins and WW1 Mausers) can be longer than expected. Make sure whatever you want to store fits.

- Some of the cabinets (like my Stack-On) have rotating locking flanges that are exposed on the inside of the door. If your safe is full and/or something shifts inside the safe against these exposed mechanisms, it's possible for these flanges to jam when trying to unlock the safe. This caused a few choice words when it happened to me.

- Don't lean any metal parts of your firearms against those soft-foam pieces all these safes seem to come with. (They're typically cut into a wavy shape to allow barrels to rest within them. The foam attracts and holds moisture and is a sure-fire way to get rust on they metal than contacts the foam. Throw that garbage out.

Cheers!

well, another thing to be concerned about is a thief that doesn't have a time problem. There was a guy on another forum I go to who had his safe broken into with his own tools. Just sayin, if you have the tools, don't put it past a thief to use your own tools.

Another option you might want to look into is the Defense Vault by AMSEC. It mounts under your bed and can be bolted to the floor or bed.

i saw that. unfortunately my is foam and weighs too much so there is another support on the frame in the middle of the bed and in the middle on both sides.