hd2000fxdl

OBRPC Action Steel Saturday 11/12

Are there power factor requirements here?

I don't think there is a minimum but they are supposed to calibrated to a 38 special load. I believe that's what I read. I do think there is a max power factor. Who wants a high power factor for steel is beyond me.

I don't think there is a minimum but they are supposed to calibrated to a 38 special load. I believe that's what I read. I do think there is a max power factor. Who wants a high power factor for steel is beyond me.

Actually I may have to go edit a post in a min, but looking over so I don't put out bad info, PF for Center-fire is a max of 155, and recommended 130.

Actually I may have to go edit a post in a min, but looking over so I don't put out bad info, PF for Center-fire is a max of 155, and recommended 130.

Heh, so I better get some powder puff loads made up....

or will just shoot my 1911, have not shot it in a while.

Any one running a Saiga 12 here?? Looking for some go fast goodies. As well as tuning tips.

Oh I would clean up if I could use the one My Brother in law has down in the Dominican Republic at my mother in laws house. Siaga 12 converted F/A,,

I wil be running my Saiga-12 Saturday. It is a pain in the butt to swap mags unless you hold the bolt open. I really don't care too much about the score, just want a reason to bring this gun out and blast crap away! :icon_mrgreen:

I was hoping a lot of people didn't want there brass but I have a felling with the 155 max PF most people shooting .40 and 45 will be saving there brass, but there is still hope for 9mm...

I was hoping a lot of people didn't want there brass but I have a felling with the 155 max PF most people shooting .40 and 45 will be saving there brass, but there is still hope for 9mm...

You're becoming a brass whore! Join the club. I have a LOT of brass to process over the winter.

You're becoming a brass whore! Join the club. I have a LOT of brass to process over the winter.

I have been keeping up with it for the most part, only 4 1 gallon zip-lock bags to sort at the moment, but there is a bunch of 22LR's in there also, I just toss them in the scrap bucket for now. I'll wait till I have the 40 gallon garbage can filled and then bring it in to one of the recycling centers when the prices are good.

I'm out - family stuff.

Well that settles that, Ray Ray is going to be rocking the Shotty and I might get lucky shotting the CZ now that it won't be on film, Thanks Nick..

Just kidding buddy, have a good time with family and will catch ya at the next one.

I haven't decided which handgun to bring yet. I LOVE my S&W 610 with .40 Short and Weak loaded in moon clips. I have 9mm and .40 Berettas I can use also, they just aren't "cool". I haven't shot my 1911 or .45 ACP Revolver in quite some time either.

I just use factory ammo. How can I find out what I am allowed to use? I have been using the .40 S&W in my 610 for the Friday night PPC that Dave runs. I may use that gun or my 686 this Friday night, or both.... I do not use the 10mm indoors with the 610, Dave said that is the equivalent of a magnum round. I do have .45 SWC's I bought from Jon on here and could use in another revolver I have.

I just use factory ammo. How can I find out what I am allowed to use? I have been using the .40 S&W in my 610 for the Friday night PPC that Dave runs. I may use that gun or my 686 this Friday night, or both.... I do not use the 10mm indoors with the 610, Dave said that is the equivalent of a magnum round. I do have .45 SWC's I bought from Jon on here and could use in another revolver I have.

Take a look at the box of ammo, if it has the FPS on the box you can figure your PF out easy enough, I'd say .40 and .45 would more than likely be higher than a 155 PF with just about any factory ammo but it's best to just figure it our with the info on the box.

9mm would be the best for more who don't reload and don't forget Shotty is good for this also, so there are plenty of options.

I dont know much to anything about PF, but a quick google search pulled up:

Power Factor = Bullet Velocity in feet per second multiplied by Bullet Weight in grains

Harry, if you can explain a bit more about PF requirments and how to figure out if your within regulations, i'd appretiate it it.

I'll be using stanard american eagle .38special 158 grain... No other info on box.

Power Factor = Bullet Velocity in feet per second multiplied by Bullet Weight in grains

slight correction..

pf = (Velocity x Weight)/1000

Harry, if you can explain a bit more about PF requirments and how to figure out if your within regulations, i'd appretiate it it.

I'll be using stanard american eagle .38special 158 grain... No other info on box.

Federal 38 Special 158gr should be 770 FPS at the muzzel.

So 157 X 770 = 121660 Now 121660 / 1000 = 121.660 PF, your good, actually just a tad light but should still knock down the poppers.

For those that were wondering about PF, I took the Federam AE ammo in FMJ and worked it out for ya:

9mm

124gr = 142.6 PF

115gr= 137.5 PF

146gr = 146.0 PF

40 S&W

180gr = 180 PF

155gr = 179.8 PF

165gr = 187.4 PF

45 Auto

230gr = 204.7 PF

So unless you reload 40 and 45 probably wont cut it to get you at the 155 or less PF.

Less about the splatter(there's always fragments flying around when shooting steel), more about reducing wear on the steel. No one's going to chrono your loads, so unless your running magnum or obviously hot loads you won't have a problem

Thanks Stein.. You going to be shooting the match??

I had some questions about how this match was gonna be run so I fired off an Email to the World Class Steel guys. Got the response this morning. I'm gonna post the response since it might help some people out. I broke apart the email so it looks like questions and answers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I heard on the NJgunforums that this week might be a little bit diffrent of a setup than normal. Something about no movement. Could you clue me in to exactly what that means?

You will shoot at all targets from behind a table on which you may place anything that you will need (ammo, mags, speedloaders, etc.) to successfully knock down all targets. You will be shooting from a fixed position (anywhere BEHIND) the table. This differs from our "Action Steel" matches where you move from one position to another in order to engage a cluster of targets placed throughout the stage. and where the Start Position may vary as part of the course of fire.

I reload to a minor power factor of 130 with my 9mm so I am not worried about that. I also have 6 mags, a double alpha belt, and double alpha mag pouches so I am good on that.

Stages can consist of anywhere from 27 to 40 targets so you have enough mags. All mags may hold a maximum of 10 rounds regardless of capability; "Stoking" before the start command will probably be permitted (we've been inconsistent about this) but all mags will hold a maximum of 10 rounds regardless of capability.

Will we be reloading from a table or from the belt?

Brian, you may reload from either or both.

Drawing from a holster of low ready position?

Neither - the muzzle of the gun will be touching the table as the later part of the "Make ready" command and the muzzle must be touching the table at the start signal. I am not sure what set of rules that this match will be shot with. We basically use IPSC/USPSA safety rules in this straight knockdown match and IPSC/USPSA rules of movement, etc in our Action Steel matches.

Ok shotgun wise I have a Mossberg 500 with a 18.5 inch barrel. Is that length ok or will the spread be too wide with the required birdshot?

Birdshot cannot be heavier than 7 1/2. We'll be shooting from about 10 - 12 yards - you will have to be the judge about this but I've seen guns with cylinder bore knock down the targets. Some of the targets may be "poppers." A benefit of a wide spread is that more than one target can be knocked down with only one shot - depends on where the shot hits.

It's basically a HD shotgun. I am also wondering about how we will be reloading for the shotgun

Pumps will start with a maximum of 5 in the tube; semi-auto Limited with 5 and then can load as many as fit after the start signal; semi-auto Open can start with as many as fit.

and what do you think is a good way to do so. Can we set the shells on the table and grab from there

YES

or should I just throw a bunch in a dump pouch and use those?

I wouldn't do it from a bucket or a pouch - better to set them up on the table in the best position/orientation to grab and insert the quickest way. But remember, if anything falls off the table after the start signal it cannot be retrieved during the COF.

I don't shoot enough shotgun to get a 3gun type belt for the shotgun shells, plus it is too late to order one. If we can reload from the table can I bring a small piece of board with holes in it that I can stand the shells up in? That sound like a good idea?

Sounds really good. But I've seen just about everything regarding loading shotguns.

Haven't decided if I am going to shoot the pistol or the shotty yet so that's why I asked questions about each.

Why not shoot both? It's a nice way to get to shoot the SG in a friendly competition. We only just ask that you do not shoot multiple guns back-to-back as a courtesy to the following shooters in your squad so as not to delay their turn to shoot.

At the Zombie 3 gun match - I used a general purpose pouch on my belt and made sure my shotshells were all oriented the same way. This way I could grab a few at a time and feed them all in the same way.

Thanks for the idea. Were you shooting from a table? That's what it looks like is going to be happening here. Gonna mess with a few things and see what is best.