JBJ

Sighting in my 30-06

Anyone have pertinent advice in getting my Remington 760 (30-06) sighted in? I was shooting in upstate NY yesterday, from about 100 yards and I was consistently 12 inches to the right and about 8 inches high. I was advised in taking it to a range to have it lasered in. Does anyone know of any public ranges that offer these services? Any information is good information, and greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Jim

A boresighter may be crap anyway.

If you are sighting in the scope, the first thing to do, is figure out the true adjustment range of the scope. Take off those scope caps, get a flathead screwdriver.

1. Take the elevation adjustment and move it all the way to one side, (up or down) until there are no more clicks.

2. Slowly, count the adjustment clicks as you go through from the one extreme to the other.

3. When you have done that, divide that number in half, and adjust the scope that number of clicks back.

Repeat for the Wind (Left/Right) adjustment.

This will find the true center of the scope and should get you on paper.

Go to the range, Set the target at 25 or 50 yards, fire shots to make sure you are on paper. Print up or find a target with 1" or 1/2" grid. Keep target at 50 yards, or move it to 100 (or for whatever distance you want to be sighted in for), and fire a 3 or 5 shot group. Take the average of those shots and see how much adjustment you need to do to get the scope to the point of aim.

Now on the scope cap, it should say if your scope is 1/4 MOA or 1/8 MOA adjustment. What that means is this. At 100 yards, one click is 1/4 inch adjustment with 1/4 moa, or 1/8 inch at 1/8 moa adjustment. So back to our example...

Lets say our 5 shot group is on average 2 inches low, and 3 inches to the right. You have an 1/4 MOA scope.

You would adjust your scope 8 clicks up (2 inches x 4 clicks per inch), and 12 clicks left (3 inches x 4 clicks).

Fire test group again, and you should be good to go.

The problem with most bore sighters, the cheap ones are pure junk.

A bore sight will only get you close. You need to shoot it at the sight in distance you want. I am assuming you have a scope on it, so if it was 12 inches right and 8 inches high you can get it closer by adjusting your windage and elevation knobs on the scope. If it is a 1/4 MOA adjustment scope then it is 4 clicks to the inch at 100 yards. 12 x 4 = 48 clicks left, 8 x 4 = 32 clicks down. Hope this helps.

A boresighter may be crap anyway.

If you are sighting in the scope, the first thing to do, is figure out the true adjustment range of the scope. Take off those scope caps, get a flathead screwdriver.

1. Take the elevation adjustment and move it all the way to one side, (up or down) until there are no more clicks.

2. Slowly, count the adjustment clicks as you go through from the one extreme to the other.

3. When you have done that, divide that number in half, and adjust the scope that number of clicks back.

Repeat for the Wind (Left/Right) adjustment.

This will find the true center of the scope and should get you on paper.

Go to the range, Set the target at 25 or 50 yards, fire shots to make sure you are on paper. Print up or find a target with 1" or 1/2" grid. Keep target at 50 yards, or move it to 100 (or for whatever distance you want to be sighted in for), and fire a 3 or 5 shot group. Take the average of those shots and see how much adjustment you need to do to get the scope to the point of aim.

Now on the scope cap, it should say if your scope is 1/4 MOA or 1/8 MOA adjustment. What that means is this. At 100 yards, one click is 1/4 inch adjustment with 1/4 moa, or 1/8 inch at 1/8 moa adjustment. So back to our example...

Lets say our 5 shot group is on average 2 inches low, and 3 inches to the right. You have an 1/4 MOA scope.

You would adjust your scope 8 clicks up (2 inches x 4 clicks per inch), and 12 clicks left (3 inches x 4 clicks).

Fire test group again, and you should be good to go.

The problem with most bore sighters, the cheap ones are pure junk.

Sorry Maks- I think you're off base. I use a $40 bore sighter and am on the paper at 50yds 100% of the time.

I don't like that centering the scope thing because you are making the assumption that the base is on center with the bore which is not always true.

I've sighted about 6-8 rifles in the past year and always a bore sighter and shoot @ 50yds.

The grid target is good but not 100% necessary as you just need to know how the rings are spaced on a bull.

To the OP- If you just bore sight and just go hunting...That is criminal and very unsportsman like. If you need help I'll make the time for you but unless I misunderstood you...Don't just bore sight and go hunting.

@ 50yds a 1/4 MOA click only gives you 1/8" POI movement. So to move 2" it would be 16 clicks.

Centering the scope does a few major things, you figure out the true picture of how much adjustment you have in the scope, and it should get you on paper. Just like a boresight would do, you still need to actually do it.

Boresight does save ammo though.

Centering the scope does a few major things, you figure out the true picture of how much adjustment you have in the scope, and it should get you on paper. Just like a boresight would do, you still need to actually do it.

Boresight does save ammo though.

That's also assuming that the scope is mounted correctly.