jeklog

car taken at gun point last sunday

That's a bit disrespectful, don't you think?

Nope, I don't think so... I merely stated a fact.

Don't be ignorant.. Downtown Newark has stadiums and performing arts centers, some really good restaurants. Now, I would never go there giving the state of the city, Newark is going down hill after all the $$$ they dumped into pepping up the city and getting these "luxury" folks to come and spend there cash. We used to go to Devil's games all the time, i havnt even seen the new stadium. The city really shot it's self in the foot this time. All i know is, i'm glad i dont have to go there anymore for school. My one rule for driving in newark, dont stop... Unless your at a major intersection, and leave plenty of room if you have to stop to make an escape.. And watch whats going on around you..

So basically you just gave a lengthier and more PC explanation of why you wouldn't want to be in Newark. I was just a bit more blunt about it, but definitely not ignorant. I've been to Newark many many times throughout my life and worked there as well... I have eaten at many of the restaurants (especially the awesome Portuguese/Brazilian restaurants), been to the PAC many times, and have been through many of the good and bad parts of the city... but despite all that, it still doesn't change my mind that I think it's a shytehole of a city. If I drove an expensive luxury car, I would for sure not want to be even near the city in fear of getting jacked. The place is notorious for it's crime rate.

Many years ago I worked as a guard on a government industrial clean up site in Newark (right off Frelinghuysen Ave). I worked the night shift, and just about every single night it sounded like a battlefield... Gunshots all through the night. I even heard full automatic fire on a few occassions. We were stationed in an armored trailer with bullet proof windows, that had been hit by stray bullets a few times, which should tell you a little something about the environment. So, yeah... I think Newark is a shytehole.

... I have eaten at many of the restaurants (especially the awesome Portuguese/Brazilian restaurants)...

Heck Yeah! Best spots in the US!

Many years ago I worked as a guard on a government industrial clean up site in Newark (right off Frelinghuysen Ave). I worked the night shift, and just about every single night it sounded like a battlefield... Gunshots all through the night. I even heard full automatic fire on a few occassions. We were stationed in an armored trailer with bullet proof windows, that had been hit by stray bullets a few times, which should tell you a little something about the environment. So, yeah... I think Newark is a shytehole.

Which site?

Heck Yeah! Best spots in the US!

I agree! I love the Brazilian Rodizio places... Reminds me of the time I spent in Brazil when I was younger (spent about 3 yrs traveling extensively to Brazil in my 20's)... I love Brazilian/Portuguese food and their culture.

Which site?

I can't remember the name of the place, as it was many years ago. It was an old chemical factory that where a crapload of toxic chemicals were abandoned in thousands of leaking barrels. It was pretty close to the Anheiser Bush factory and the airport. It was right on Frelinghuysen Ave.

I agree! I love the Brazilian Rodizio places... Reminds me of the time I spent in Brazil when I was younger (spent about 3 yrs traveling extensively to Brazil in my 20's)... I love Brazilian/Portuguese food and their culture.

Would you believe we have one in the Lehigh Valley in nearby Nazareth, PA? It's pretty good. I can't say it's better than the top places in Ironbound, but some of the stuff is actually better. And it's good overall.

I can't remember the name of the place, as it was many years ago. It was an old chemical factory that where a crapload of toxic chemicals were abandoned in thousands of leaking barrels. It was pretty close to the Anheiser Bush factory and the airport. It was right on Frelinghuysen Ave.

You just described about a dozen sites on that stretch of road LOL :D

You just described about a dozen sites on that stretch of road LOL :D

LOL, yeah I know... there were a few EPA superfund sites there. That was probably one of the crazier jobs I've had... non-stop gunshots and stray bullets through the night, EVERY night, and then had to don full hazmat suit to patrol the place because of all the nasty chemicals at the site. We had to patrol the whole site (the areas where the chemicals and barrels were dumped) every hour on the hour, and worked 12 hour shifts, 4 days a week. Crazy job... walking through areas filled with thousands of rusty, leaky barrels of extremely toxic chemicals! I was young and dumb and the money was really good.

1st Rule, don't look scared and don't try and be someone your not but do carry yourself like you belong there and 99.999% of the time you will have no problems at all.

I lived there for a year, no matter how hard you try, no white boy looks like he belongs there, lol. I do agree tho, people can smell the smallest hint of fear in that city..

As for the Portuguese section/restaurants, damn i miss that excellent food.

Tony, in no way am i disagreeing with the place being a Sh8thole, it def. takes the cake for worst place i've ever been forced to go to. And i have never parked my car on the street there, i had numerous friends cars broken into just for the dollar in change they left in the cup holder... didnt matter make or model.

I lived there for a year, no matter how hard you try, no white boy looks like he belongs there, lol. I do agree tho, people can smell the smallest hint of fear in that city..

As for the Portuguese section/restaurants, damn i miss that excellent food.

Tony, in no way am i disagreeing with the place being a Sh8thole, it def. takes the cake for worst place i've ever been forced to go to. And i have never parked my car on the street there, i had numerous friends cars broken into just for the dollar in change they left in the cup holder... didnt matter make or model.

While i was in school my part time job was fixing payphones in newark and paterson, what fun ! grew up on the other side of the river in east newark and harrison so the owner of the company thought i'd be right at home...while other techs got to fix the phones on the boardwalks down the shore.