pepsi71ocean

Transportation with a pickup truck.

So after reading the massive thread here Everything you wanted to know about transporting firearms

I have come to one conclusion. it didn't answer my question.

I have nothing but pick up trucks, and my question falls on what is the proper way since you obviously can't leave your guns in the truck bed.

Historically, i have always kept the rifles in a soft case, zippered up, and ammunition in one .30 cal can and magazines, stripper clips and bore flags etic in another .30 cal can. This way neither the magazines(or charging device) is in the same container as the ammunition.

Now i tend to put the ammunition behind the drivers seat, the rifle is on the back seat laying across. the other can is on the opposite side, this combined with the fact it is a full quad cab dodge ram, makes it almost impossible to reach the ammo can let alone open it while in the drivers seat.

I have never been pulled over and never though about if this is ok or not. i figured if i did get pulled over and he decided to inspect me i can always argue that the cab is safer then the back bed of the truck. But does anyone else transport with pick up trucks and what do you do.

g. All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b.,

subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried

unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package,

or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the

course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under

the circumstances.

if it is not a trunk.. I would personally lock the gun case.. but that is just me..

in reading this there is no actual reference to locked anything.. and further the word OR is used for trunk of a car.. meaning that if it is in the trunk? there is no need to even case it?

The firearm should not be directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console.
http://www.njsp.org/about/fire_trans.html
  • Like 1

:facepalm:

ETA: I believe that a locked case is not NJ law, but Federal Law under the FOPA. If one is travelling within the state, the case need not be locked. That is why you see hunters travelling in the back of pickup trucks with their shotguns only in gun socks.

• Like 1

I am in the same situation as you. I have a pickup. I do have a tool box in the bed, but it's full and I refuse to believe that owning a picking forces me to purchase a cover simply so I can go shoot.

I will usually have any firearms in the back seat behind me cased, with the ammo in a different container on the other side of the cab. It's a full size pickup and there's not way, sitting in the driver seat I can get to anything.

With all due respect to you guys saying that you've done this and done that for years, that doesn't necessarily mean it's legal and that you won't have an issue if/when pulled over. I think what the OP (and I to be honest) is looking for is the minimum legal procedure for transporting your firearms in a pick-up truck.

In my case, I have an access cab truck, meaning I have no back seat except for those little jumper seats, but do have plenty of storage space back there. We've seen people quote that you must lockup your **** back there and others quoted policies that don't mention locking anything up in the cab. I guess the safest way would be to lock you gun in a case and do the same for your ammo, in another case. This way your cover no matter what, but is that the law? Is that the minimum you need to do to be legal?

In addition, in my case anyway, there's no lockable/coverable storage in the bed of the truck, so I'll never tranport a firearm in the bed. That's just crazy if you ask me. You risk someone reaching in the bed at a red light or something and taking your firearm. I can't see how that would be legal. That's just common sense to me.

njsp is offering a recommendation...

but the law is the law..

IN the trunk.. then nothing matters..

IN the car the gun has to be secured.. not locked.. secured.. wrapped up.. in a gun sock.. cased.. whatever...

never noticed that locked is NOT part of the LAW

:facepalm:

Obviously, you're disgusted with either the entire thread/topic or my responses. I understand this may be :thsmiley_deadhorse: , but the topic continues to come up. Every time it comes up, there are at least 2-different answers. With each of those answers, the person quotes text from some document/policy/procedure.

With all due respect to you guys saying that you've done this and done that for years, that doesn't necessarily mean it's legal and that you won't have an issue if/when pulled over. I think what the OP (and I to be honest) is looking for is the minimum legal procedure for transporting your firearms in a pick-up truck.

In my case, I have an access cab truck, meaning I have no back seat except for those little jumper seats, but do have plenty of storage space back there. We've seen people quote that you must lockup your **** back there and others quoted policies that don't mention locking anything up in the cab. I guess the safest way would be to lock you gun in a case and do the same for your ammo, in another case. This way your cover no matter what, but is that the law? Is that the minimum you need to do to be legal?

In addition, in my case anyway, there's no lockable/coverable storage in the bed of the truck, so I'll never tranport a firearm in the bed. That's just crazy if you ask me. You risk someone reaching in the bed at a red light or something and taking your firearm. I can't see how that would be legal. That's just common sense to me.

Been approached by LEOs while hunting(who checked our licenses), and they watched us place our guns on the back seat. Never an issue. Loosen up your tin-foil hat.

See i have a back seat, but its really tight, you can fit a .50 cal can but you have to first slide the seat forward to put it in there, then usually the bench seat (the rear one) is above the can.

I noticed that it says

E.

The firearm is not directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle

F.

The ammunition is not directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle

The term directly accessible, means what though means i cannot easily grab it and load it, if such is the case the only way to load the firearm would be to get out of the truck, move the drivers seat up then pull the ammo can out (it can't really be opened cuz the bench seat is over top), and the unsock the rifle in the soft case.

Thus as another guy said he does the same, but it makes me wonder what the definitions are though.

No need to be disrespectful.

You're furthering the paranoia surrounding gun laws in this state. Yes, our gun laws suck, but making them out to be worse than they actually are just makes things worse. If you have a problem with me pointing out your paranoid behavior... tough.

So after reading the massive thread here Everything you wanted to know about transporting firearms

These are the first couple of lines in the massive thread you referenced.

Before you post another thread about transporting such and such, please read what your fellow njgunforum.com members say. This is not the LAW, nor is it what the NJSP say to do. These discussions cover every situation that you could possibly get into as a NJ resident.

I stopped reading after that. Why? Because if it's not the law, what relevance does it have? Really. I'm not trying to be confrontation, but it doesn't matter what anyone does and gets away with. Bottom line, you must abide by the law for this stuff. Being wrong and doing the wrong thing is not like driving over the speed limit all the time and getting caught, just "because that's what everyone else has done in the past".

• Like 1

You're furthering the paranoia surrounding gun laws in this state. Yes, our gun laws suck, but making them out to be worse than they actually are just makes things worse. If you have a problem with me pointing out your paranoid behavior... tough.

Point me to the law please, not what others do or have done. That's all I'm asking.

Obviously, you're disgusted with either the entire thread/topic or my responses. I understand this may be :thsmiley_deadhorse: , but the topic continues to come up. Every time it comes up, there are at least 2-different answers. With each of those answers, the person quotes text from some document/policy/procedure.

More the topic, but you need to re-read the whole thread and then see what Paul PK90 said as well as some of the others. The reference you made about doing it for years is a problem, well there is not problem, they are not wrong in how they are transporting them while they are in NJ.

I have come to one conclusion. it didn't answer my question.

I have nothing but pick up trucks, and my question falls on what is the proper way since you obviously can't leave your guns in the truck bed.

Historically, i have always kept the rifles in a soft case, zippered up, and ammunition in one .30 cal can and magazines, stripper clips and bore flags etic in another .30 cal can. This way neither the magazines(or charging device) is in the same container as the ammunition.

Now i tend to put the ammunition behind the drivers seat, the rifle is on the back seat laying across. the other can is on the opposite side, this combined with the fact it is a full quad cab dodge ram, makes it almost impossible to reach the ammo can let alone open it while in the drivers seat.

I have never been pulled over and never though about if this is ok or not. i figured if i did get pulled over and he decided to inspect me i can always argue that the cab is safer then the back bed of the truck. But does anyone else transport with pick up trucks and what do you do.

I would just put a $5 padlock through the zipper pulls of the soft case, keep it in the back of the cab and be done with it. You could also tie up the zippers with string or a cable tie but I like the padlock.

• Like 1

I would just put a $5 padlock through the zipper pulls of the soft case, keep it in the back of the cab and be done with it. You could also tie up the zippers with string or a cable tie but I like the padlock.

But you don't need to do this according to the law. Going above and beyond what the law requires only creates the assumption that these "extra measures" are "required" and before long will turn them into the "accepted standard". Those who said it before me couldn't be more correct... NJ gun owners ARE their worst enemy.

• Like 1

But you don't need to do this according to the law. Going above and beyond what the law requires only creates the assumption that these "extra measures" are "required" and before long will turn them into the "accepted standard". Those who said it before me couldn't be more correct... NJ gun owners ARE their worst enemy.

Yes, you do need to do this.

subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried

unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package,

or locked in the trunk of the automobile

Yes, you do need to do this.

or locked in the trunk of the automobile

Contained in a closed and fastened case... There is no mention of locking said case.

Contained in a closed and fastened case... There is no mention of locking said case.

Does a zipped up case count as fastened? To me it does not. You have to fasten the case somehow. I wrote you could use string or a cable tie or a padlock to fasten the case. The padlock to me seems like the best method but you can choose another way to fasten the case.

From Merriam-Webster: Fasten: to attach especially by pinning, tying, or nailing b : to make fast and secure c : to fix firmly or securely d : to secure against opening

:good: