pepsi71ocean

Transportation with a pickup truck.

Does a zipped up case count as fastened? To me it does not. You have to fasten the case somehow. I wrote you could use string or a cable tie or a padlock to fasten the case. The padlock to me seems like the best method but you can choose another way to fasten the case.

From Merriam-Webster: Fasten: to attach especially by pinning, tying, or nailing b : to make fast and secure c : to fix firmly or securely d : to secure against opening

IANAL, but I would consider a zipped case to be fastened, which imho, falls under definition D that you provided - to secure against opening. That is the purpose of a zipper.

Hell, the way the law reads you can wrap the gun in paper and tie it up with a bow - "securely tied package"

Yes, you do need to do this.

g. All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b.,

subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried

unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package,

or locked in the trunk of the automobile

:80:

Come on, if they take the time to mention Locked in the Trunk, what did they do run out of letters when referencing the Closed and Fastened case?? There is no mention that a LOCK is required, closed and fastened case is just that, closed and fastened. Now legally are you going to get jammed up for having a lock, NO, are you by law going to get jammed up by not having a lock, NO.

Like Jon said, we need to stop making things up that are not law. Now if you think this is wrong, please sight the law that you could be charged with.

With all due respect to you guys saying that you've done this and done that for years, that doesn't necessarily mean it's legal and that you won't have an issue if/when pulled over.

There are several ways to not have an issue - and this is a simple logic problem:

1) Don't carry firearms, get pulled over, no biggie.

2) Carry firearms not in a pickup but in a car with a trunk, get pulled over, no biggie.

3) Don't get pulled over (or get into an accident or whatever) - doesn't matter what the F you do with your firearms in the vehicle then.

If you want to be 100% safe, stay in your house, after all 115 people DIE per day as a result of car accidents (out of 220 million daily drivers). I looked for the stats regarding firearms arrests but couldn't find any.

If you want to be 100% safe with firearms, then move the heck out of NJ. That's the ONLY surefire way to comply with the law since they're so arbitrary here.

See - once you start "interpreting" beyond the law then idiocy develops. So, if I wrap it in a sock securely tied and then stuff it in a locked gun bag and put that in a locked hard case, and don't carry any ammo... :facepalm:

• Like 1

It's a mess and extremely confusing. I'm just regurgitating what's already been said, I believe. According to the NJSP website, they're being advised as follows.

http://www.nj.gov/njsp/about/fire_trans.html

Transporting INTO the State:

•The firearm should not be directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console.

Transporting THROUGH the State:

G.

If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console;

Then you read further down, you see this.

For additional exemptions refer to Chapter 39, namely 2C:39-6g.

If you pull that up, as someone already posted, you get this.

g. All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b.,

subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried

unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package,

or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the

course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under

the circumstances.

There are several ways to not have an issue - and this is a simple logic problem:

1) Don't carry firearms, get pulled over, no biggie.

2) Carry firearms not in a pickup but in a car with a trunk, get pulled over, no biggie.

3) Don't get pulled over (or get into an accident or whatever) - doesn't matter what the F you do with your firearms in the vehicle then.

If you want to be 100% safe, stay in your house, after all 115 people DIE per day as a result of car accidents (out of 220 million daily drivers). I looked for the stats regarding firearms arrests but couldn't find any.

If you want to be 100% safe with firearms, then move the heck out of NJ. That's the ONLY surefire way to comply with the law since they're so arbitrary here.

See - once you start "interpreting" beyond the law then idiocy develops. So, if I wrap it in a sock securely tied and then stuff it in a locked gun bag and put that in a locked hard case, and don't carry any ammo... :facepalm:

I get your points. Trust me, I really do. I can imagine it's even worse for you long-timers doing this, as opposed to us newbies, since you've heard and fought this same topic over and over and over again. I do get it.

Quoting the njsp is to most extent moot unless it lists the corresponding law.... They are listing recommendations on how to transport to keep you safe... Leo safe.. They are recommendations...

Through the state (state to state ) requires adhering to fopa...

Within the state to an exempted location requires adherance to the law I listed in post 2...

It is no more complicated than that.... Put the gun in something... Stick it in car unloaded... Or put it in the trunk... No more complicated than that as per LAW... You are welcome to make it as complicated as you like.. But that is not the law..

• Like 2

Don't read things into the statute that aren't there. When courts interpret statutes, they look for the "plain meaning" of what the words say. If the legislature said "locked" in regard to the trunk, then they could have easily said "locked" box, case, etc. when the gun is in the passenger compartment. They didn't, so it's not required to be a locked case. Although I think it would be awesome if we all started carrying our guns wrapped in Christmas wrapping paper with big bows tied on as someone above suggested.

• Like 1

IIRC having your firearms in a case or wrapped up or in the trunk is a fish and game originated rule that applies to everyone to control poaching. I have been checked by CO's (game wardens) at least a dozen times while getting in or out of my pick up, NEVER once has a CO said to me that a soft unlocked case was anything less than compliant. I have also been stopped by the police on my way home from hunting, and my unloaded shotgun sitting on the back seat in a soft unlocked case was never an issue.

Does a zipped up case count as fastened? To me it does not. You have to fasten the case somehow. I wrote you could use string or a cable tie or a padlock to fasten the case. The padlock to me seems like the best method but you can choose another way to fasten the case.

From Merriam-Webster: Fasten: to attach especially by pinning, tying, or nailing b : to make fast and secure c : to fix firmly or securely d : to secure against opening

If a zipper does not fasten things, or as you quoted yourself, secure against opening, then by golly, I need to get new luggage, a new backpack, heck, new clothes even. All these times I was using things that I could never actually close and fasten!

Either that or zippers do comply, but you might know better.

I wonder what knot is required for "securely tied". I never was very good with tying knots, is my lack of knot knowledge going to cause me to violate the law too?

I wonder what knot is required for "securely tied". I never was very good with tying knots, is my lack of knot knowledge going to cause me to violate the law too?

As we approach the season, I'm reminded of the impossible knot known as christmas lights. I'm sure if you fasten your bag with Christmas Lights that most cops will agree, that is fastened securely.

Just trying to add some humor to a ridiculous issue that we shouldn't even have to think about to exercise a constitutional right.

• Like 1

My take on this is that "locked in the trunk of an automobile" implies that the firearm is loose and not in a case. If you do not have a trunk, then any closed case will do "no lock implied".

Agreed.