TheWombat

Kimber Custom Aegis II

A big thanks to Paul (PK90) for managing to track down a Kimber Custom Aegis II in 9mm for my wife. MrsWombat chooses a gun based on one of two criteria:

2. Does the character she likes in a TV show use the gun (she only watches one TV show so the options are limited!) or
  3. Is the gun aesthetically pleasing

Her first gun was a Sig P228 as that is what Gibbs uses in the NCIS TV show

Her second gun is the Kimber Custom Aegis ii

Her third gun, not yet ordered, will be the Springfield EMP

Here is the Kimber:

Kimber.jpg

We had our first range visit today to RTSP - I highly recommend you all try and at least one visit - it was impressive. MrsWombat fired 200 rounds through the Kimber with no failures which were:

•  
  • 100 x Winchester Ranger 9mm NATO 124gr FMJ - RA9124N
  • 100 x American Eagle 9mm 124gr FMJ - AE(AP

She likes the Kimber and all went well. The grips became loose however nothing that a bit of loctite won't fix after she's finished cleaning it.

So a positive thumbs up from her!!!

I fired 9 rounds through the Kimber with good shot placement although I didn't find the trigger pleasant as I had just been shooting the Walther PPQ. The Kimber slides, the PPQ pivots, and this was my first time with a 1911. I am however sure that I would get used to it after a few more rounds.

:triniti:

TheWombat

Congrats.

It's hard to find a bettter gun than a Sig p228. I am sure she will love it more after it get's the grayguns treatment. I think they all use a p228 on NCIS.

Both the 226 and 228 are currently on there way to Gray Guns. If the results live up to the expectations then both the 226 and 228 will be amazing.

Maybe MrsWombat will post on this thread if we all ask nicely :-)

She's a little shy....

TheWombat

MrsWombat chooses a gun based on one of two criteria:

2. Does the character she likes in a TV show use the gun (she only watches one TV show so the options are limited!) or
  3. Is the gun aesthetically pleasing

Why did you have to make me sound like a bimbo?

I did pick Kimber Custom Aegis II for its look, but today I found out that there's more than meets the eye and I am not talking about its performance in the range (which is superb). It took me triple the time to field strip/clean/reassemble than my P228. I did not have a clue what the manual instruction was on about, after consulting almighty YouTube I finally manage to complete the service (with recoil spring plug flying off a few times). Hopefully after a few practice I'll be able to reduce field stripping time.

Mrs Wombat

Why did you have to make me sound like a bimbo?

I did pick Kimber Custom Aegis II for its look, but today I found out that there's more than meets the eye and I am not talking about its performance in the range (which is superb). It took me triple the time to field strip/clean/reassemble than my P228. I did not have a clue what the manual instruction was on about, after consulting almighty YouTube I finally manage to complete the service (with recoil spring plug flying off a few times). Hopefully after a few practice I'll be able to reduce field stripping time.

Mrs Wombat

You are the perfect wife :firstmove::-)

So general consensus in complexity/time to field strip/clean from easiest to most difficult/time consuming is:

•  
  • PPQ
  • P226/P228
  • Kimber 1911

Being an ugly gun does have some advantages :sarcastichand:

TheWombat

very nice gun congrats to the mrs! maybe gibbs should ask her for a special appearance in the show! everybody likes NCIS!

Thanks. Well, it's good enough that Gibbs has graced my dreams a couple times so far... :wub:

You are the perfect wife :firstmove::-)

Don't you forget that! :triniti:

Feeling satisfied with Kimber 1911, I am contemplating on getting a Springfield EMP as my CCW :dancing:

Thanks. Well, it's good enough that Gibbs has graced my dreams a couple times so far... :wub:

Don't you forget that! :triniti:

Feeling satisfied with Kimber 1911, I am contemplating on getting a Springfield EMP as my CCW :dancing:

may I sugest the kimber super carry ultra or + over the EMP.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/super-carry

Hey Tony,

Any reason for the recommendation of the carry ultra or carry ulta+ over the EMP?

TheWombat

The EMP has been hit and miss but from what i understand all the 3 inch models have had their share of problems.

may want to research them out before purchasing.. And now that i think about it some more, SA warranty is better than kimbers....

The EMP has a grip designed for a shorter cartridge 9mm unlike the Kimber so it'll fit smaller hands better.

It does not have front strap checkering and does not like reloads unless they are resized perfectly. The front sight is also very difficult to pick up at the range. With all that said, it's one accurate and fun little gun.

I want to send mine eventually to John Harrison to make it exactly like this one here:

http://www.louderthanwords.us/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6290

BTW. What's the turn around time at Gray Guns?

may I sugest the kimber super carry ultra or + over the EMP.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/super-carry

Thank Tony. As a matter of fact, I was having a slight difficulty choosing between SA EMP and another Kimber however not Super Carry but Ultra Carry II. After reading numerous forum discussion and reviews, I sort of concluded that EMP is the one to go for me. my other 2 guns are both 9mm which is also a small contributing factor.

It seems that the 1st batch of EMP did have its share of problems, but it has since been rectified (somehow) and EMP owners are generally happy with it. No doubt Kimber's Super/Ultra Carry is also a superb choice, maybe after I win the lottery...

I want to send mine eventually to John Harrison to make it exactly like this one here:

http://www.louderthanwords.us/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6290

That's one sweet modification and cool dad! I should send that link to my dad or father-in-law, Christmas is just around the corner. oh wait, they don't even have guns. :no2:

BTW. What's the turn around time at Gray Guns?

A month or so ago, Bruce stated on Sig Forum that he was caught-up and turnaround should be in the neighborhood of three weeks.

Thanks. I also heard people complain about his turn around time a while ago and wanted to check from an actual customer. I had one of my newer 226 worked on by Sig and the work was decent. I've heard people raving about Bruce Gray's trigger job and wanted to try one that was done by him :)

A month or so ago, Bruce stated on Sig Forum that he was caught-up and turnaround should be in the neighborhood of three weeks.

Thanks. I also heard people complain about his turn around time a while ago and wanted to check from an actual customer. I had one of my newer 226 worked on by Sig and the work was decent. I've heard people raving about Bruce Gray's trigger job and wanted to try one that was done by him :)

I believe that Bruce had some health problems that took him out of the shop for awhile and resulted in a big backlog. When he got back on his feet, he suspended taking in new work and got caught-up, which is where we stand now.

Adios,

PIzza Bob

I believe that Bruce had some health problems that took him out of the shop for awhile and resulted in a big backlog. When he got back on his feet, he suspended taking in new work and got caught-up, which is where we stand now.

Adios,

PIzza Bob

Also if you are a member of the SigForum and let them know then you get a faster turnaround. They also have a special offer on at the moment called 'CRRAP' which gets you a bit more of a discount, check SigForum for more details

TheWombat

Have you decided which package you want to go with? I'd like to try out a gun worked on by him to see if it's all it's hyped up to be.

thanks!

The P228 is having CRRAP (Carry Reduced Reset Action Package) which is the equivalent of Reduced Reset Comprehensive Duty Package $295 but only costs $245 on the current special offer.

The P226 is planned to go the whole way with the Enhanced Leverage Competition Package (ELCP) $425. Although they will call me to discuss.

hth

TheWombat

I have an EMP that I picked up December '09 and it's been wonderful. Shoots better than I can and I think it's pretty reliable. The first time I shot it was during a handgun class at SJSC in March of 2010. I brought the gun unfired to the class and ran 175 rounds through it on a misty, cold day and didn't have any failures with the gun. I've since run another 200 rounds though it and again, no problems.

I've heard some horror stories with the EMPs, but they do seem to be pretty few and far between. Mine is definitely a keeper.

ETA: Pretty Kimber, BTW!