TheWombat

Walther PPQ

My wife picked up her new Kimber and I picked up a Walther PPQ. The only modification to the PPQ was fitting some Trijicon Night Sights as it will be a home defense firearm and possibly a carry gun.

Background

My first firearm was a Sig P226 which is great, however for my second permit I had a "shortlist" that seemed to keep growing. The only two clear constants were:

2. Had to be 9mm
  3. Was not to be a 1911 or Single Action pistol

I've just received my Florida CCW so additional considerations were: 1) a home defense firearm 2) something that I could carry if I desired - although if I ever ended up carrying often I would consider a sub-compact.

Shortlist

The short list included

•  
  • Sig P229 - so similar controls to the 226 and has a rail for a light
  • Sig P228 - similar to the P229, better quality, but no rail
  • Sig P225 - similar to the P228/P229 but thinner for carry
  • Sig P250 - a good idea for NJ as buy one pistol and have the ability to switch between sub-compact, compact, fullsize, 9mm, .40 and .45 without using additional pistol permits
  • Sig P2022 - plastic and highly regarded
  • Glock 19 - purely by specification this was the obvious choice!
  • H&K P30 or P30L - Plastic, good reputation, many negative comments about trigger
  • S&W M&P9 - removed from list after I tried one at Shore Shot. It just didn't feel good in the hand
  • Springfield XD9 or XDM9 - I've shot a few of these as rentals and always had some of the best groupings I have ever shot. Also buy before end of November and get 3 additional free magazines
  • Walther PPQ or P99 - a late addition to the list. Plastic, Striker Fired, Short Reset Trigger

At some time or other there were also Desert Baby Eagles, CZ 75 variants and other hand guns on the list.

While the obvious winner based on price, size (width), capacity the Glock 19 just didn't appeal to me based on looks and ergonomics, although I've shot both the G17 and G19 a few times now and always had good groupings. The M&P9 left me feeling 'cold'. The front runners were the H&K P30/P30L and the SA XDM9 and I had started looking on GunsAmerica when I began to see positive comments on a couple of the forums regarding the PPQ in comparison to the H&K P30.

I couldn't find anywhere local with the PPQ so after a month of reading forums, reviews etc I decided to take a gamble and order one. Some of the reasons the PPQ appealed to me were:

•  
  • Price - they are in the $500 to $600 price range
  • Trigger - It has a very nice Quick/Short Reset Trigger. One of the constant positive feedback points is how good the trigger is right out of the box and having shot it I would now agree
  • Size/Weight - It is a bit smaller and lighter than the Sig P228/P229
  • Fit & Feel - Walther are known as a quality brand in Europe (where I come from) and it comes with interchangeable backstraps

Also for variety having a striker fired gun would be a nice compliment to my DA/SA hammer P226.

Day of Purchase

The first time I had a chance to see and touch a PPQ was at Arms-n-Ammo yesterday when I went to pick up the PPQ. I can honestly say that as soon as I picked it up I could tell it was a good choice. It felt right in the hand and the trigger, even when dry firing, felt very good for an unmodified trigger. The short/quick reset is exactly as it says and overall look and feel of the gun is good.

Once home I spent an hour dry-firing and racking the slide in order to get the feel of the gun - after first taking it into a dark room to check out the tritium night sights - AWESOME!

The gun slept on the night stand beside me and all through the night I had 3 green orbs looking over me.

Range Visit

I took the PPQ to RTSP for it's first range trip. In the bag I had 250 rounds, a mix of Winchester Ranger Nato 124gr, Speer Lawman 124gr and 147gr, American Eagle 124gr and 147gr. I ended up firing 110 rounds, a mix of all those taken, and I had no failures. The trigger is amazing, and I can see that the short/quick reset trigger could catch you off-guard the first time if you're not aware of it.

Shooting at distances of 5, 7 and 10 yards almost all shots were within 2" groupings, the only stragglers were my own fault. The PPQ is very easy to shoot, however it is a light gun and does have more muzzle flip than the P226. The sights are zeroed in as combat sights rather than 6 o'clock and I am fine with that.

In the case comes a manual, lock, small & large interchangeable spare back straps, test fire target and shells, manual, 2 magazines, magazine loader and the PPQ.

The photo below shows the 'backing target' as RTSP don't have cardboard and I like to use my NJ Gun Forum bullseye targets. Of the 110 rounds there are < 10 outliers. The grouping in the middle is tighter than it looks as I had stuck 6 different bullseye targets on top.

P1050916.jpg

My wife also tried a few shots with the PPQ and commented how easy it was to shoot.. She just doesn't think it is aesthetically pleasing unlike her Kimber!

General Photos

Some quick photos below

PPQ.jpg

P1050906.jpg

P1050909.jpg

P1050912.jpg

P1050908.jpg

P1050913.jpg

Final verdict is that the PPQ is a GREAT striker fired firearm. If you're considering buying a striker fired plastic handgun then I'd recommend considering the PPQ.

hth

TheWombat

• Like 1

My wife picked up her new Kimber and I picked up a Walther PPQ. The only modification to the PPQ was fitting some Trijicon Night Sights as it will be a home defense firearm and possibly a carry gun.

Background

My first firearm was a Sig P226 which is great, however for my second permit I had a "shortlist" that seemed to keep growing. The only two clear constants were:

2. Had to be 9mm
  3. Was not to be a 1911 or Single Action pistol

I've just received my Florida CCW so additional considerations were: 1) a home defense firearm 2) something that I could carry if I desired - although if I ever ended up carrying often I would consider a sub-compact.

Shortlist

The short list included

•  
  • Sig P229 - so similar controls to the 226 and has a rail for a light
  • Sig P228 - similar to the P229, better quality, but no rail
  • Sig P225 - similar to the P228/P229 but thinner for carry
  • Sig P250 - a good idea for NJ as buy one pistol and have the ability to switch between sub-compact, compact, fullsize, 9mm, .40 and .45 without using additional pistol permits
  • Sig P2022 - plastic and highly regarded
  • Glock 19 - purely by specification this was the obvious choice!
  • H&K P30 or P30L - Plastic, good reputation, many negative comments about trigger
  • S&W M&P9 - removed from list after I tried one at Shore Shot. It just didn't feel good in the hand
  • Springfield XD9 or XDM9 - I've shot a few of these as rentals and always had some of the best groupings I have ever shot. Also buy before end of November and get 3 additional free magazines
  • Walther PPQ or P99 - a late addition to the list. Plastic, Striker Fired, Short Reset Trigger

At some time or other there were also Desert Baby Eagles, CZ 75 variants and other hand guns on the list.

While the obvious winner based on price, size (width), capacity the Glock 19 just didn't appeal to me based on looks and ergonomics, although I've shot both the G17 and G19 a few times now and always had good groupings. The M&P9 left me feeling 'cold'. The front runners were the H&K P30/P30L and the SA XDM9 and I had started looking on GunsAmerica when I began to see positive comments on a couple of the forums regarding the PPQ in comparison to the H&K P30.

I couldn't find anywhere local with the PPQ so after a month of reading forums, reviews etc I decided to take a gamble and order one. Some of the reasons the PPQ appealed to me were:

•  
  • Price - they are in the $500 to $600 price range
  • Trigger - It has a very nice Quick/Short Reset Trigger. One of the constant positive feedback points is how good the trigger is right out of the box and having shot it I would now agree
  • Size/Weight - It is a bit smaller and lighter than the Sig P228/P229
  • Fit & Feel - Walther are known as a quality brand in Europe (where I come from) and it comes with interchangeable backstraps

Also for variety having a striker fired gun would be a nice compliment to my DA/SA hammer P226.

Day of Purchase

The first time I had a chance to see and touch a PPQ was at Arms-n-Ammo yesterday when I went to pick up the PPQ. I can honestly say that as soon as I picked it up I could tell it was a good choice. It felt right in the hand and the trigger, even when dry firing, felt very good for an unmodified trigger. The short/quick reset is exactly as it says and overall look and feel of the gun is good.

Once home I spent an hour dry-firing and racking the slide in order to get the feel of the gun - after first taking it into a dark room to check out the tritium night sights - AWESOME!

The gun slept on the night stand beside me and all through the night I had 3 green orbs looking over me.

Range Visit

I took the PPQ to RTSP for it's first range trip. In the bag I had 250 rounds, a mix of Winchester Ranger Nato 124gr, Speer Lawman 124gr and 147gr, American Eagle 124gr and 147gr. I ended up firing 110 rounds, a mix of all those taken, and I had no failures. The trigger is amazing, and I can see that the short/quick reset trigger could catch you off-guard the first time if you're not aware of it.

Shooting at distances of 5, 7 and 10 yards almost all shots were within 2" groupings, the only stragglers were my own fault. The PPQ is very easy to shoot, however it is a light gun and does have more muzzle flip than the P226. The sights are zeroed in as combat sights rather than 6 o'clock and I am fine with that.

In the case comes a manual, lock, small & large interchangeable spare back straps, test fire target and shells, manual, 2 magazines, magazine loader and the PPQ.

The photo below shows the 'backing target' as RTSP don't have cardboard and I like to use my NJ Gun Forum bullseye targets. Of the 110 rounds there are < 10 outliers. The grouping in the middle is tighter than it looks as I had stuck 6 different bullseye targets on top.

P1050916.jpg

My wife also tried a few shots with the PPQ and commented how easy it was to shoot.. She just doesn't think it is aesthetically pleasing unlike her Kimber!

General Photos

Some quick photos below

PPQ.jpg

P1050906.jpg

P1050909.jpg

P1050912.jpg

P1050908.jpg

P1050913.jpg

Final verdict is that the PPQ is a GREAT striker fired firearm. If you're considering buying a striker fired plastic handgun then I'd recommend considering the PPQ.

hth

TheWombat

Having just finished giving it a clean I should also add:

•  
  • It is very quick and very easy to clean, takes around a quarter of the time that it takes to clean my Sig P226
  • The magazine release is different to the normal push button however I had no problems whatsoever with it

Luckily unlike my wife I choose my guns based on form and function, rather than just on aesthetics :-)

:-)

TheWombat

Having just finished giving it a clean I should also add:

• It is very quick and very easy to clean, takes around a quarter of the time that it takes to clean my Sig P226
  • The magazine release is different to the normal push button however I had no problems whatsoever with it

Luckily unlike my wife I choose my guns based on form and function, rather than just on aesthetics :-)

TheWombat

I picked one up the day of the Nor'easter. I laughed when I broke it down as it is very similar to my XD9. I cleaned it before I shot it in case of storage grease. There was a lack of lubrication on it so I would recommend cleaning and oiling prior to use. I concur on your entire review. The combat sights are not going to win you a long distance marksmanship competition, but it is a combat handgun and not a target gun.

I've been told the PPQ doesn't fit perfectly into holsters meant for the Walther P99. I'm currently researching for holsters that work. I prefer a Crossbreed SuperTuck Deluxe for inside the waistband (IWB), which I use for my XD9 Subcompact, but they don't currently offer one for the PPQ.

Same goes for outside the waistband (OWB) holsters. No perfect fit found yet, but from what I've read the Blackhawk Serpa CQC Holster for the Walther P99 is tight, but works. Again this would be a temporary solution. I can't see spending 40-50 bucks on a kydex holster that isn't a perfect fit though. If you have any good leads on holsters please share. :)

I picked one up the day of the Nor'easter. I laughed when I broke it down as it is very similar to my XD9. I cleaned it before I shot it in case of storage grease. There was a lack of lubrication on it so I would recommend cleaning and oiling prior to use. I concur on your entire review. The combat sights are not going to win you a long distance marksmanship competition, but it is a combat handgun and not a target gun.

I've been told the PPQ doesn't fit perfectly into holsters meant for the Walther P99. I'm currently researching for holsters that work. I prefer a Crossbreed SuperTuck Deluxe for inside the waistband (IWB), which I use for my XD9 Subcompact, but they don't currently offer one for the PPQ.

Same goes for outside the waistband (OWB) holsters. No perfect fit found yet, but from what I've read the Blackhawk Serpa CQC Holster for the Walther P99 is tight, but works. Again this would be a temporary solution. I can't see spending 40-50 bucks on a kydex holster that isn't a perfect fit though. If you have any good leads on holsters please share. :)

I've been watching the Walther forums (PPQ sub-forum) and there are a few suggestions in there for holsters that are either made for the PPQ or fit. I'm still researching to see what I'll go for, once I make the decision I'll let you know.

TheWombat

Those certainly combat sights. The rear sight dots/notch seems really far apart/big. Doesn't seem like it effected the accuracy of your shooting though!

Definitely a wider gap in the rear sight than on my wife's Kimber. It didn't seem to be too much of an issue and a PPQ is more a combat gun than a target shooting gun. I was a little surprised though at the gap.

TheWombat

I would try a holster designed for the Hk P30

Funny you should mention that Jon. I was looking in the CDNN Sports magazine my brother gets and notice design similarities. PPQ= HK P30 exterior+ Springfield XD interior. :)

Not true, I don't make any choice entirely on aesthetics, functionality is equally important. That's why I married you.

Mrs Wombat

LMAO I say the same thing when looking at a potential partner.

Very very nice choice. I have one on the way and should be picking it up next week. I held one at Bullet Hole and really liked the fit. I've been through Glocks, XD's and M&P's. Still have the Glocks and M&P's, but have very high hopes for the Walther. I've read nothing but great reviews on the PPQ. Can't wait to put some rounds through.

Again, congrats on a great choice of plastic.

BTW, I think it's a fantastic looking pistol.

There are a number of holsters becoming available

I've just purchased a DeSantis 002 Speed Scabbard

http://www.desantisholster.com/store/SEARCH-BY-GUN-MANUFACTURER/WALTHER/ppq/belt-holsters

They normally cost ~$65 however Natchez Shooter Supplies had them for $37.49, except I just bought their last one. I'll post once it arrives as to how good it is. It is OWB leather and a few people on the Walther Forum have recommended.

I'm also in contact with http://www.ttgunleather.com/ who will have IWB PPQ leather molds in a couple of weeks.

If you prefer Kydex then you can also try Raven Concealment holsters http://www.ravenconcealment.com a few people on the Walther forum have recommended them although I have not ordered one.

TheWombat

Dear Wombat,

I'd love to hear your impression of the sights from a tactical/manipulation perspective.

I shoot Glocks but I'm interested in purchasing a Walther PPQ because the grip fits my hand perfectly. I "tested" it at the gun shop - unloaded of course - and found when manipulating the slide (racking the slide) the palm of my hand kept getting scraped up due to the tall, square rear sights.

Since I'm used to handling Glocks (a very square slide) and the PPQ has a triangular slide, the way I grip the slide when manipulating it may be causing the problem. (I don't pinch the slide. Rather, I use the proper slide grip of palm on top rear, fingers facing right and gripped on the right side of the slide with thumb facing rear.) I tried changing my grip but it seemed that I needed to keep my palm off the slide and use just my fingers to avoid ripping into my palm, a less secure secure way to manipulate the slide, especially during a high-intensity situation - more room for error.

Have you had this issue? If so, how did you correct it? Please note that I do need rear sights that will allow for one-handed slide manipulations so I can't/don't use target sights or the like.

Also, do you know if Walther or another company make aftermarket sights that curve more so as to better fit the triangular slide, thus creating a smoother profile?

Thanks in advance to for your time and consideration.

Dear Wombat,

I'd love to hear your impression of the sights from a tactical/manipulation perspective.

I shoot Glocks but I'm interested in purchasing a Walther PPQ because the grip fits my hand perfectly. I "tested" it at the gun shop - unloaded of course - and found when manipulating the slide (racking the slide) the palm of my hand kept getting scraped up due to the tall, square rear sights.

Since I'm used to handling Glocks (a very square slide) and the PPQ has a triangular slide, the way I grip the slide when manipulating it may be causing the problem. (I don't pinch the slide. Rather, I use the proper slide grip of palm on top rear, fingers facing right and gripped on the right side of the slide with thumb facing rear.) I tried changing my grip but it seemed that I needed to keep my palm off the slide and use just my fingers to avoid ripping into my palm, a less secure secure way to manipulate the slide, especially during a high-intensity situation - more room for error.

Have you had this issue? If so, how did you correct it? Please note that I do need rear sights that will allow for one-handed slide manipulations so I can't/don't use target sights or the like.

Also, do you know if Walther or another company make aftermarket sights that curve more so as to better fit the triangular slide, thus creating a smoother profile?

Thanks in advance to for your time and consideration.

I replaced the standard PPQ sights with Trijicon sights. The Trijicon's are about 1mm (sorry I use metric!) taller although still have the rectangular profile. I have had no issues with racking the slide using either the front or rear of the slide (I prefer using the front slide serrations normally). My technique is to hold 'across' the slide, i.e. my 4 fingers are at right angles to the length of the gun with my palm gripping one side and 4 fingers on the other. I just completed the Gun For Hire Step 1 and Step 2 pistol which includes a higher stress situation and had no issues and this was with explicitly using the rear slide serrations all day.

In fact just having read this post and trying to rack the (unloaded) firearm at home with no snap cap or magazine I just pinched my palm in the ejector because I didn't 'let go' of the slide for the forward movement and I was gripping the rear slide serrations. This was me being silly as I didn't want to let the slide go with no round (live or snap cap) in the magazine.

In terms of sights, the PPQ after market sights are limited (at present), however the good news is that the P99 sights fit fine, which provides more options. The Trijicon sights I have had fitted are for the P99 and fit perfect. I've not checked what other sights are available as I specifically wanted the Trijicons on this firearm.

hth

TheWombat

Wombat,

Thank you so much for the speedy and thoughtful reply. I wish I knew someone at my range who shoots the PPQ to test it live. Nonetheless, I'll take your suggestions with me back to the gun store and see if I can adjust the way I'm manipulating the slide.

Again, thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

Wombat,

Thank you so much for the speedy and thoughtful reply. I wish I knew someone at my range who shoots the PPQ to test it live. Nonetheless, I'll take your suggestions with me back to the gun store and see if I can adjust the way I'm manipulating the slide.

Again, thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

Glad it helped, I shoot at both RTSP and ShoreShot if you ever go to one of these two.

TheWombat

The GFH day went well and I highly recommend both them, and the 2nd Step course. You can read more at http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/29248-gfh-1st-step-and-2nd-step-pistol/

The PPQ performed flawlessly. The DeSantis Speed Scabbard holster was ok, it's been broken in by having a thin sock over the gun and wearing it for a few days as well as holstering several tens of times. I will keep looking for a good Kydex holster as well so I can have the comparison as the holster draw from the DeSantis is not quite as smooth as I would like, this could be due to the need to further break in the holster, the position on my body, my belt or my technique as it is the first holster I have owned. I am wearing the 1.5" CompTac belt with the holster.

hth

TheWombat

Just back from a trip to Shoreshot. Phil let me shoot his Sig P210 which has a very crisp and light trigger compared to the PPQ. Thanks!!!

The main purpose of the trip today was:

•  
  • Shoot some of the different types of ammunition I have as I bought 2 boxes each of various brands/weights/models
  • Try some Hollow Point home defense ammo
  • Practice some of the "dot drills" that we were shown on the Gun For Hire 2nd Step pistol course from last week

In total with the PPQ today I shot 320 rounds comprising:

•  
  • Sellier & Bellot 115gr FMJ (V310452)
  • Speer Gold Dot 124gr+P (23617)
  • Brazer Brass 115gr FMJ (5200)
  • Remington UMC 115gr FMJ (L9MM3)
  • Winchester WhiteBox NATO 124gr (Q4318)
  • Remington UMC 147gr (L9MM9)
  • Remington UMC Leadless 115gr FNEB (LL9MM11)

I had NO failures using the 320 rounds. :icon_mrgreen:

I warmed up with 50 rounds of Sellier & Bellot at 7 yards

PPQSellierBellot115.jpg

I then tried the Speer Gold Dot Hollow Points. This is the first time I have ever shot Hollow Points. As these are 124gr+P there was more noticeable recoil than the Sellier & Bellot FMJs

PPQSpeerGoldDot124P.jpg

I then switched to the 'DOT drills' that MrsWombat and I tried during our 2nd Steps Pistol Gun For Hire course last weekend:

All exercises were taken at distances between 6 and 8 yards. The first 100 rounds (Blazer Brass 115gr and Remington UMC 115gr) were:

2. Pick up gun from table, shoot 1 round, move left, shoot another round in the same dot… Place gun back on table. repeat multiple times.
  3. Pick up gun from table, shoot 1 round, move right, shoot another round in the same dot… Place gun back on table. repeat multiple times.
  4. Pick up gun from table, shoot 1 round into dot 5, shoot 1 round into dot 1… Place gun back on table. repeat multiple times.
  5. Pick up gun from table, shoot 1 round into dot 1, shoot 1 round into dot 5… Place gun back on table. repeat multiple times.
  6. Same as 3) & 4) but also step either right or left. Place gun back on table. repeat multiple times.
  7. Pick up gun from table, shoot 1 round into dot 5, shoot 1 round into dot 6… Place gun back on table. repeat multiple times.
  8. Pick up gun from table, shoot 1 round into dot 6, shoot 1 round into dot 5… Place gun back on table. repeat multiple times.
  9. Pick up gun from table, shoot 1 round into dot 6, step right and shoot 2 rounds into dot 6 again. Place gun back on table. repeat multiple times.
  10. Pick up gun from table, shoot 1 round into dot 6, step left and shoot 2 rounds into dot 6 again repeat multiple times. Distance was around 6 yards

To add some more interest to the exercises I ensured that my magazines had a random number of rounds from 1 to 5 in them, and if the ammo ran out part way through an exercise I had to do a reload. My extra magazines had arrived so I have 5 in total. I can also confirm that the Magnum Research MR Eagle "Fast Action" 9mm 15-Round Magazine Product Code: MAGFA915 are identical to the Walther PPQ magazines (except being half the price!) and work perfectly.

I then moved to the Winchester NATO which had a lot more recoil (as it is considered similar to +P) and took more effort to control the recoil and you can see the results in dot 2. I repeated similar exercises to the above although with the distance back at around 8 yards.

For the Remington 147gr ammunition I started with dot 7 but was shooting high and there was more recoil and a lot of ‘flame’ coming out the muzzle. I instead switched to shooting the head of the assailant with 5 rounds in each magazine shooting 5 shots fairly quickly. I won’t buy anymore of this specific brand/model/weight ammunition. I didn’t like shooting at the lower positioned dots (3,4,7,8), or at least my grouping wasn’t as tight. It may have been I was getting tired, it may have been the ammunition, and it may have been I was having to point the gun downwards rather than horizontal. I will try some more testing tomorrow as I have one more box of this ammunition left.

For the last 50 rounds I used dots 3 and 7 and moved the distance out a little more and tried the Remington UMC Leadless 115gr FNEB. You can see my grouping is far less tight. The high shots on dot 7 are from the previous Remington 147gr ammo. Overall for this ammo there was some ‘flame’ but far less recoil than with the Remington 147gr and Winchester NATO. I however won't be buying any more of it. For the last 10 or so rounds I shot with my hands reversed. i.e. a two handed grip using my left hand on the trigger (I am right handed but left eye dominant). I was far more accurate than I had expected, however I felt very very clumsy when trying to switch magazines.

PPQGFHdrillsmixedammo.jpg

Overall I remain very pleased with the Walther PPQ. Of the ammunition today the Blazer Brass 115gr seemed the easiest to shoot tight groups with, however I will continue with some more tests tomorrow.

Doing these drills definitely makes the range trip more interesting!

:xD:

TheWombat

Those certainly combat sights. The rear sight dots/notch seems really far apart/big. Doesn't seem like it effected the accuracy of your shooting though!

That's because the picture was taken so close to the rear site. Pick up one of your handguns, and look down the sights with the rear sight about 4 inches from your face.