TheWombat

Walther PPQ

Blazer Aluminum, and from what I understand, Brass, as quite light loads, and will typically not make required power factor for IDPA/USPSA. Just fyi.

Glad to hear the gun is eating up all the ammo, although why shouldn't it? =)

That's because the picture was taken so close to the rear site. Pick up one of your handguns, and look down the sights with the rear sight about 4 inches from your face.

Just to add, that the PPQ Trijicon sights do have a wider gap between front and rear sights for the sight picture than MrsWombat's Kimber 1911 with Meprolights. However I am not finding it an issue although the PPQ is not a handgun I would choose to shoot competitively at 25 yards.

hth

TheWombat

Final Range visit for this week was today (Sunday 4th December). Purpose was a continuation of yesterday however with some more structure so to the format to make it easier to review the results.

Today's ammunition used was:

• Blazer Brass 115gr FMJ x 50 (5200)
  • Speer Gold Dot 124gr+P HP x 20 (23617)
  • Speer Lawman 115gr FMJ x 50 (53615)
  • Speer Lawman 124gr TMJ x 50 (53620)
  • Remington UMC 115gr FMJ x 50 (L9MM3)
  • Sellier & Bellot 124gr FMJ x 50 (V310492)

As per yesterday I had no failures and in total the Walther PPQ has now fired 792 rounds.

In terms of today's drills, the Dot Drills were at between 6-7 yards.

Blazer Brass 115gr - Dot 1

5 rounds x standard fire to acclimatise to the ammunition

20 rounds x fire 1 round, step left, fire 1 round

25 rounds x fire 1 round, step right, fire 1 round

Speer Gold Dot - Assailant's Head

5 rounds to the head

reload, repeat x 3

Speer Lawman 115gr - Dot 2

20 rounds x fire 1 round, step left, fire 2 rounds

25 rounds x fire 1 round, step right, fire 2 rounds

Speer Lawman 147gr - Dot 5

20 rounds x fire 2 rounds, step left, fire 2 rounds

25 rounds x fire 2 rounds, step right, fire 2 rounds

Remington UMC 115gr - Dot 6

20 rounds x fire 2 rounds, step left, fire 2 rounds

25 rounds x fire 2 rounds, step right, fire 2 rounds

Between each drill the firearm was placed on the table in front of me, and then picked up to begin the drill. The magazines each had 5 rounds and reloads were undertaken at slide stop. I have found with the Walther that I find it easiest to release the magazine with the middle finger or my trigger hand, rather than the thumb or index finger.

I've found the today's and yesterday's exercises really helped me feel the difference between the ammunition, and with the Walther PPQ being lighter than the Sig P226 the differences become more obvious. Today's exercises shows that the ammunition I shoot most accurately is the Speer Lawman 115gr, which I had already seen previously with the Sig P226.

PPQGFHdrillsmixedammo.jpg

For the final 50 rounds of the day I shot the Sellier & Bellot 124gr using the standard NJ Gun Forum target printed on letter sized paper at 10 yards, 2 handed, standing. All but one round ended up on target although still work to do to tighten the grouping. I find the P226 is definitely easier to shoot at this distance.

PPQ10yardsSellierBellot115gr.jpg

A big thank you to the crew at GunForHire for showing me the drills during the 2nd Step training. If you've not tried going to GunForHire 2nd Step Pistol then MrsWombat and I both highly recommend considering it.

:-)

TheWombat

good job, great writeup. What was your pace between shots? Were you just cracking them off, or were you shooting for groups?

Start shooting at 25 yards, at the njgf targets, then start bringing it in, you find a reasonable speed you can shoot at those distances without missing.

If your trigger discipline sucks, it wont show at 7 yards. Not enough distance for it to start sucking. by 15, and then definitely by 25 it will.

good job, great writeup. What was your pace between shots? Were you just cracking them off, or were you shooting for groups?

Start shooting at 25 yards, at the njgf targets, then start bringing it in, you find a reasonable speed you can shoot at those distances without missing.

If your trigger discipline sucks, it wont show at 7 yards. Not enough distance for it to start sucking. by 15, and then definitely by 25 it will.

Definitely not shooting at a rapid pace however I am now shooting at a more rapid pace than a few weeks ago. I'm working on the assumption that speed will improve as my trigger control and experience grows.

I'll be increasing the distance next time however jumping to 15 or 25 yards too soon is more likely to be an exercise in frustration if done too soon :banghead: . Next range visit will probably be 10-15 yards and I'll stick to consistent ammunition rather than keep changing.

Currently I'm focusing on dry firing each day and am beginning to notice some improvement.

Thanks for the suggestions, I am greatly enjoying the hobby!

:-)

TheWombat

Just try it. You are fully capable of hitting at those distances, it aint far. Just take your time. Speed is not big thing either, there is no sense in a "double tap", considering you dont even aim. Anyone can bust off two rounds very quickly, but it is about the accuracy too. =)

Point is, at the longer distances, you will see what is wrong with your trigger discipline, and you are not going to be reinforcing those habits while working up to that distance.

Sorry to be a bit off-topic, but how did you like the Guns-for-Hire program? I see instructors at The Bullethole every week and am always intrigued.

I just took the basic pistol class from them. Although I grew up with guns, I was never taught to shoot (here's a rifle, go shoot those cans). The class was excellent. It's made me a much better shooter just by making a few small changes to my grip, trigger control and sighting. Rob was my instructor. He also covered some home defense scenarios.

I can also confirm that the Magnum Research MR Eagle "Fast Action" 9mm 15-Round Magazine Product Code: MAGFA915 are identical to the Walther PPQ magazines (except being half the price!) and work perfectly.

I found this review up on YouTube. The guy claims that if you slap the Magnum Research magazine in hard while the slide is locked back, rounds come out of the magazine and cause stoppages. You can see this happening towards the end of the video around the 36 minute mark. Have you found this to be the case?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcV7l4AjeXk

How do you guys feel about the PPQ's reliability? Would you trust your life to it as your primary home defense weapon? I was leaning towards a Glock 19 as my new home defense gun, but based on all the rave reviews, I'm also considering the PPQ. Disclaimer: I haven't shot either pistol, yet.

I would take nothing that douche says in his videos as gospel or fact for that matter. One bad mag and what... are you going to discount the firearm???

I have two MR mags for my p99... they are perfect. Big deal... you might gets one just as good or less then stellar.

Walther guns are as reliable as any Glock, fit better and possibly have more mechanical accuracy out of the box. That being said, Glocks are slightly chearper, very robust, have tons of accessories or upgrades available, are easier to work on and replace parts yourself and there are more people out there with Glock knowledge to ask for help. Cant swing a dead cat on most forums without hitting a Glock Armorer. World ends tomorrow... grabbing all the glocks I can.

I would take nothing that douche says in his videos as gospel or fact for that matter. One bad mag and what... are you going to discount the firearm???

He wasn't criticizing the gun. He LOVES the PPQ. It's the Magnum Research mag that he's picking on and even then, he wasn't overly worked up about it. I'm just wondering if folks have seen this happen. If this really does happen, I'd probably just pony up the extra cash for the Walther mags. Again, I neither own nor have shot the PPQ, but it's one of the guns I'm considering for my next purchase for use as my only home defense gun. I wish my LGS had a range where you could test fire a gun before buying it.

I'm not a big fan of him either, but did you even watch the clip in reference? He actually was raving about the gun and its reliability. He was only mentioning an issue with a magazine he was actually having, and you can see happening. And even then he wasn't saying it was garbage. Sometimes it behooves to watch what is being talked about rather then make some ignorant comment.

Bone.. i did watch that one and have watched his videos. I own a walther p99 and was curious on the ppq. I had that original reaction weeks ago when I watched his vid the first time. I know he likes the gun, but he obsessed over a magazine which is a disposable item. Move on.

He is a douche by the way and that is not an ignorant comment... it is fact.

So mentioning an issue he had with something twice is obsessing, and being a douche is a fact, and these aren't ignorant comments? Okay then chief.

If I were to call you a douche and say it is just a fact, that wouldn't be ignorant either then?

I found this review up on YouTube. The guy claims that if you slap the Magnum Research magazine in hard while the slide is locked back, rounds come out of the magazine and cause stoppages. You can see this happening towards the end of the video around the 36 minute mark. Have you found this to be the case?

[snip]

How do you guys feel about the PPQ's reliability? Would you trust your life to it as your primary home defense weapon? I was leaning towards a Glock 19 as my new home defense gun, but based on all the rave reviews, I'm also considering the PPQ. Disclaimer: I haven't shot either pistol, yet.

I have 3 Magnum Research magazines and have not noticed any issues at all, I've not seen any issues reported on the Walther PPQ forum either.

I would trust my PPQ. It has been 100% with many different types of ammunition, including hollow points. I have no reason to believe that it won't perform when/if needed. Looking on the Walther PPQ forums there seem very few people with issues.

Some pros of the Glock 19:

• More standard magazine release button <--- this could be important in a stressful situation
  • More flexibility on interchangeable magazines (i.e. I believe G17 fits in G19 etc)
  • Many many many more options for holsters, accessories, replacement sights etc

Some pros of the PPQ:

• It is based on the proven P99 rather than being all new
  • It has a very good short reset striker fired trigger right out of the box
  • It has fully ambi-controls for slide and magazine release
  • I own one :-)
  • I like it :-)
  • It's German :-)
  • It's a Walther :-)

Currently on the Internet people people are finding the 9mm PPQ for around $490 to $515 e.g. JetGuns, CheaperThanDirt. I paid a bit more as I chose to support the local NJ sellers, either way the different in cost is insignificant compared to the cost of the ammunition during the lifetime of the firearm.

Ultimately - try both (or all three if including the SD/SDM) and see which you prefer. I would probably take a Springfield Armory XD/XDM over the G19, however that's because I found I preferred the feel and shot tighter groups

hth

TheWombat

So mentioning an issue he had with something twice is obsessing, and being a douche is a fact, and these aren't ignorant comments? Okay then chief.

If I were to call you a douche and say it is just a fact, that wouldn't be ignorant either then?

Nope it would not be ignorant because it would be true in your mind. Just like it is in my mind now chief. Is Nutnfancy your brother or something? Let it go.

I need to go to your school of reasoning. I never knew that I could just manifest things in my mind and whoolah, they are now facts. Learn something new everyday.

Is Nutnfancy your brother or something?

Yep, he is. You got it. I certainly didn't say anything like "I'm not a big fan of him" before. Oh wait, I did. But then again, if you think it meant something else, then as a matter of fact (not a figure of speech), then it does. Phew.

Okay enough of this bs. Of course it was in a ignorant comment, it was meant to be ignorant comment. My question is when when did you become the speech police.? So if you would like to carry this further I'll give you my address and we can talk about this face to face. Lighten the fugg up.

I spent a few hours yesterday at an outdoor range with some 1:1 training with ShootNJ. I shot 542 rounds during this range visit in 42 degrees F using 4 magazines (3 Magnum Research and 1 Walther magazine). I am now up to a total of 1334 rounds (including 42 Hollow Point rounds) and the PPQ has been fantastic.

The visit was a mix of steel shooting, point shooting, rapid fire, strong hand (2 & 1 handed), weak hand (2 & 1 handed), shooting while moving forward & sideways, shooting from concealed cover, timed shooting etc etc. I had only 1 failure today (my first one ever) and that was a failure to extract while shooting 1 handed (weak hand) which was due to me limp wristing - I've never really shot 1 handed weak hand.

Magazines were dropped into the wet mud, reloaded and re-used and all went well.

Rounds fired today included:

• CCI Blazer Brass 9mm Luger: 115gr FMJ (5200)
  • Speer Lawman 9mm Luger: 115gr FMJ (53615)
  • Sellier & Bellot 9mm Luger: 115gr FMJ (V310452)
  • Federal American Eagle 9mm Luger: 124gr FMJ (AE9AP)
  • Sellier & Bellot 9mm Luger: 124gr FMJ (V310492)
  • Federal Classic 9mm Luger: 147gr Hi-Shok JHP (9MS)

The quick reset trigger makes rapid fire and double taps pretty straight forward.

There is a little more muzzle lift than with my heavier Sig P226R, however it was entirely manageable and I was hitting an 8" steel plate on 10-13 out of my 15 rapid fire shots on a consistent basis, and even on the moving and shooting I was consistently hitting while firing quickly and moving forwards or sideways without thinking about it too much. Therefore the recoil/muzzle flip are easily controllable once you get some time with the PPQ. These were self defense distances however it still gives a reasonable indication.

I should add as well, that similar to the Nutnfancy review on youtube I did have a couple of occasions where the Magnum Research magazines didn't completely drop free (they dropped perhaps half way). I have since numbered my magazines and will pay greater attention. This only happened a couple of times out of the 35+ times I did mag changes on the latest range trip which included dropping the magazines into the wet mud. I'm not sure if this was the base of my palm touching the base of the mag, or if it was some mud/dirt on the magazine, or if the different finish of the Magnum Research magazines causes a little extra friction or something else. Overall though the Magnum Research magazines worked fine.

I don't find the 'extra' space around the front sight when it sits in the rear sights an issue and it didn't seem to affect accuracy.

I prefer 115gr and 124gr in the PPQ, however no real science behind it other than just what I seem to get the best grouping with.

I've tried the small and large backstraps, however I prefer the medium (fitted as standard). You need a punch (or equivalent) to replace the backstraps, so from that perspective switching backstraps is not as straight forward as some of the competitors. I kept the 'pin' removed for a couple of weeks while I was trying the various backstraps and never had the backstrap accidently fall out, so for range use the pin does not seem necessary.

I've bought a TommyTheis IWB holster and will be trying the PPQ as a CCW firearm to see whether it is concealable enough, or whether a PPS is significantly better.

The Loaded Chamber indicator was useless, and does not seem to work, however as I don't rely on the indicator it is not an issue. I will be looking to buy a Viridian C5L for the PPQ as it is a home defense firearm, however I'm waiting to see if they have a gen-2 model coming anytime soon.

Big thumbs up still for the PPQ and really enjoying it.

TheWombat

Hey Wombat, you wouldn't happen to own a P99 would you? My permits are finally in and I have a short list compiled with the P99 and PPQ on it. I have read some of the differences on other forums but wondered if you had any say on it, or possibly even a p99 vs. PPQ shoot out/review!?

Try this link:

http://www.gunsameri...99-gun-reviews/

Just got the PPQ myself this past weekend. Didn't get a chance to live fire it yet but from dry firing the trigger is lighter than any of my Glocks. The reset is short but I think it's over hyped. It's on par with a Sig with SRT. It is very light so I think it'll be a good candidate for carry.

Afraid I don't have a P99, however plenty of reviews and comparisons exist. I'd suggest checking out the Walther Forum (http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/) in the PPQ and P99 sections where many people have posted who have (or had) both.

I would say the reset is short, but as per autonyc I would say it is a little overhyped, the reset though is very good.

Unless you specifically want a DA/SA Walther (in which case go for the P99AS) I would recommend going for the PPQ. They can be picked up for around $495 to $550 on the Internet. PK90 has good prices on the PPQ so recommend trying the the NJGunForum supporting vendors when you decide to buy.

hth

TheWombat

Thanks guys. Yeah I don't really know what I want yet, be it DAO or DA/SA. I was looking at the Walthers because they are very comfortable when it comes to ergonomics, and my gf really likes them. I have a couple permits and thought I would get something that both her and I like.

Definitely gonna check out those links, so thanks.

I was looking at the Walthers because they are very comfortable when it comes to ergonomics, and my gf really likes them.

I love the CZ ergonomics, combined with them being all steel (full size and 75 compact) or steel slide/alloy frame (all the other compact models). I'm surprised you didn't go that direction since I know you have the full size 75B and like it.

I love the CZ ergonomics, combined with them being all steel (full size and 75 compact) or steel slide/alloy frame (all the other compact models). I'm surprised you didn't go that direction since I know you have the full size 75B and like it.

I never said CZ's were not in the running, as we talked about tonight. Just thought I'd put a couple other pistols on the list that weren't CZ!

I would definitely recommend trying the PPQ (over the P99), I think it is an amazing pistol (in 9mm) and seems to be gaining popularity. I am carrying mine and I find the trigger is fine - some people prefer the P99 A/S as it is DA/SA.

I decided to go for 3 different styles of firearms with my first permits:

• Plastic Striker = PPQ
  • Metal Hammer DA/SA = P226
  • Metal SA = 1911 Commander

I will be getting some more permits in the new year, then I have to decide what my next 3 will be :-)

hth

TheWombat