TheWombat

Walther PPQ

How is the loaded chamber indicator suppose to work on the PPQ?

Is it just me or is any loaded chamber indicator that isn't completely tactile in function entirely useless? I mean, if it is only meant to be looked at, why wouldn't you just actually look for brass in the chamber? Shouldn't it be more for, as an example, a low light situation where you can't see well you instead feel for it?

I believe you're meant to see a little bit of 'red' where the back of extractor is when the chamber is loaded, irrespective it is one of the few bits of the PPQ that is useless, not that I really use a loaded chamber indicator. If the indicator was like some of the other striker fired handguns then it can be useful, albeit it shouldn't replace the need to manually check where appropriate

TheWombat

I believe you're meant to see a little bit of 'red' where the back of extractor is when the chamber is loaded, irrespective it is one of the few bits of the PPQ that is useless, not that I really use a loaded chamber indicator. If the indicator was like some of the other striker fired handguns then it can be useful, albeit it shouldn't replace the need to manually check where appropriate

TheWombat

Agreed. The only way to know if there is a round in the chamber or not is to actually look in the chamber.

Which is why I like the M&P's 'loaded chamber indicator', which is nothing more than a small hole if you will, in the top of the slide allowing you to directly see the brass without having to pull the slide back.

Funny you should select the PPQ and the P226. I've been looking to get a "hand down" handgun for each of my three teens. So when they reach 21 years I will transfer what they have been shooting for a few years. All three love the idea (they like gifts, surprise). Anyway have spent 7 months looking and my son picked a Colt Delta Elite in 10mm, my oldest daughter picked a SIG P226 Stainless Elite in 9mm (she likes the looks and the heft), and my youngest daughter picked the Walther PPQ in 9mm. The Colt shoots great and is a blast to shoot, but getting a 40 S&W barrel fitted to cut down on the recoil. Ordered the P226 stainless elite from GunBroker today (only place that I could find it and will let it sit until my 30 days are up). And looking to get the PPQ from a local this week.

Thanks for the great write-up and reviews!

Funny you should select the PPQ and the P226. I've been looking to get a "hand down" handgun for each of my three teens. So when they reach 21 years I will transfer what they have been shooting for a few years. All three love the idea (they like gifts, surprise). Anyway have spent 7 months looking and my son picked a Colt Delta Elite in 10mm, my oldest daughter picked a SIG P226 Stainless Elite in 9mm (she likes the looks and the heft), and my youngest daughter picked the Walther PPQ in 9mm. The Colt shoots great and is a blast to shoot, but getting a 40 S&W barrel fitted to cut down on the recoil. Ordered the P226 stainless elite from GunBroker today (only place that I could find it and will let it sit until my 30 days are up). And looking to get the PPQ from a local this week.

Thanks for the great write-up and reviews!

No worries, enjoy! I'd also recommend looking at a .22 conversion for the Sig P226 as it will definitely help with technique/trigger control which is critical with the DA/SA.

I've also got an Airsoft P226 which is great for DA/SA practice in the house, for ~$100 it's a good investment for me since my Sig P226 will be my competition gun for 2012.

:-0

TheWombat

Good to see some more positive reviews!

I saw a Glock shooter at RTSP a couple of days ago so invited them to try my PPQ. They were positively surprised afterwards as to how good it felt :-)

:-)

TheWombat

I'm excited to report that my newly purchased gift to myself for Christmas has arrived. A Blackhawk! Serpa CQC holster for a Walther P99. I'm even more excited (and relieved) to report that my Walther PPQ fits in it! :D Can't find my camera but I will post a few pictures once I find it.

Good to hear re: the holster. I've also just posted some PPQ holster reviews on the Walther PPQ forum. You can read them by clicking here.

I'm getting close to 2000 rounds now on the PPQ, a mix of brands and weights, including hollow points. Have yet to have any failures.

7yardsand15yards.jpg

I've just started practicing at 15 yards, the PPQ is far more accurate than me, however I aim to improve during 2012.

:-)

TheWombat

Why the 124 grain rounds? Is that recommended? My p 99 likes 115gr... just curious

For no particular reason I've just settled on 124gr. I've tried a mix of 115, 124 and 147. I'm probably a very little bit more accurate with Speer Lawman 115gr than 124gr. Also the home defense ammo I use is 124gr Hollow Points so keeps it simple :-)

The Winchester NATO was just me using up some of the spare ammunition I bought when I was trying out many different brands. I find the Winchester White Box very dirty. I also don't like the Remington as it has a lot of 'flame'. Speer Lawman is my preferred.

TheWombat

I've read in a few reviews that Smith & Wesson here in the USA actually add the "sights" to the PPQ upon import and that owners have been disappointed with slight damage or dings to the rear sight area of the slide. Anyone notice this or can comment on it? I've been researching this pistol as I think i want one in .40 cal S&W

I've read in a few reviews that Smith & Wesson here in the USA actually add the "sights" to the PPQ upon import and that owners have been disappointed with slight damage or dings to the rear sight area of the slide. Anyone notice this or can comment on it? I've been researching this pistol as I think i want one in .40 cal S&W

This is only for the 'First Edition' version of the PPQ which has the threaded barrel and 17 round magazine.

The standard PPQ is fine from all that I have seen.

My experience/research suggests that the PPQ is better suited to 9mm than .40 cal, so may be worth seeing if you can find someone with a .40 cal and see whether they can let you have a go.

hth

TheWombat

Thanks Wombat.

I've also heard that on new PPQs, when you pull the slide partially back to do a visible chamber check, that upon release the slide "sometimes" does not fully move forward all the way and could require a slight push from the back with your thumb. Suppoosedly this goes away with "break in" and this is just more of what I've heard about the PPQ. Anyone ever experience this?

I like doing a visible chamber check versus relying on any indicator. Then the habit becomes universal for any pistol you handle versus different habits for different guns.

I shot my new 9mm PPQ yesterday at RTSP - what a fun gun and sights were dead on for me. No marks on mine near the sights, and I looked at a 40 S&W they had there early and did not see anything like a scratch or mark.

On the loaded chamber indicator, I think they did it as an after thought to make Mass. happy. You can see the red bit under bright lights, but its really not something you should trust. I guess you could say, "if there is red then it is loaded, but if its not red that does NOT mean its not loaded."

I'm actually torn between the Walther PPQ and the S&W MP Professional model so I honestly think I'm going to just get both. Since the PPQ has a 4.20" barrel length, maybe I'll get the longer 5" version of the M&P. I wish that S&W would also do a PRO version of the compact M&P model too. Who knows, maybe Walther will also do a compact version of the PPQ also. The PPQ sounds too good to pass up as everyone who reviews it loves it. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I am against chamber indicators (or using them rather) as I prefer to get into the habit of a "pull the slide back and look see for yourself" visual indication instead. I'd rather get into that habit for all semi-autos I handle or own.

I'm actually torn between the Walther PPQ and the S&W MP Professional model so I honestly think I'm going to just get both. Since the PPQ has a 4.20" barrel length, maybe I'll get the longer 5" version of the M&P. I wish that S&W would also do a PRO version of the compact M&P model too. Who knows, maybe Walther will also do a compact version of the PPQ also. The PPQ sounds too good to pass up as everyone who reviews it loves it. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I am against chamber indicators (or using them rather) as I prefer to get into the habit of a "pull the slide back and look see for yourself" visual indication instead. I'd rather get into that habit for all semi-autos I handle or own.

Funny thing is I am in a similar debacle. But I have yet to shoot the PPQ and would prefer to shoot it before I start really looking into it.

Which is why I like the M&P's 'loaded chamber indicator', which is nothing more than a small hole if you will, in the top of the slide allowing you to directly see the brass without having to pull the slide back.

Unless theres a piece of similar colored grit or dirt clogging that hole and then somebody could make a deadly mistake. The only type I would tend to "trust" are like the ones found on the Springfield XDm models which have a visual as well as tactile indication (shown below) but I myself still intend to just get into the habit of looking directly into the chamber by partially pulling the slide. I do think the XDm version is trust-worthy though.

thestandards_1.jpg

Unless theres a piece of similar colored grit or dirt clogging that hole and then somebody could make a deadly mistake. The only type I would tend to "trust" are like the ones found on the Springfield XDm models which have a visual as well as tactile indication (shown below) but I myself still intend to just get into the habit of looking directly into the chamber by partially pulling the slide. I do think the XDm version is trust-worthy though.

thestandards_1.jpg

Don't ever trust any type of indicator, in my opinion they are not needed in the first place, the only true way to know it's empty is to look in the chamber, touch the chamber and after that, treat it as if was still loaded. Get into that habit and keep your bogger picker off the trigger and you will be good.

Funny thing is I am in a similar debacle. But I have yet to shoot the PPQ and would prefer to shoot it before I start really looking into it.

If I were a more experienced shooter, I would agree with you however for me I'll be happy just to handle the PPQ for ergonomics at the sales counter. With all the stellar reviews, I don't see it not being a contender for possibly my first semi-auto purchase (unless it's hard to find and the M&P is available first.)

Don't ever trust any type of indicator, in my opinion they are not needed in the first place, the only true way to know it's empty is to look in the chamber, touch the chamber and after that, treat it as if was still loaded. Get into that habit and keep your bogger picker off the trigger and you will be good.

Agreed and a very good personal policy to get into all the time.

If I were a more experienced shooter, I would agree with you however for me I'll be happy just to handle the PPQ for ergonomics at the sales counter. With all the stellar reviews, I don't see it not being a contender for possibly my first semi-auto purchase (unless it's hard to find and the M&P is available first.)

I would say you did come to the right place. Especially as a new shooter, do not buy a gun without trying it out at the range. 1000 people may say this is the perfect gun for you, but you will not know how you like it until you shoot it, holding it is nice, but shooting it is what will tell YOU if it will be a good gun for you.

As luck would have it, there are options, Check out Shore Shot in Lakewood, we as NJGF members get a discount, on rentals, ammo and range time and you can rent multiple guns in the same caliber for the price of renting 1 gun. Something too good to not take advantage of.

Thanks Wombat.

I've also heard that on new PPQs, when you pull the slide partially back to do a visible chamber check, that upon release the slide "sometimes" does not fully move forward all the way and could require a slight push from the back with your thumb. Suppoosedly this goes away with "break in" and this is just more of what I've heard about the PPQ. Anyone ever experience this?

Yes a few times, but only when manually letting the slide go with my hand (and probably holding on a little as it moves forward) and only for the first few hundred rounds. Has not happened since and it has never happened when shooting.

TheWombat

I would say you did come to the right place. Especially as a new shooter, do not buy a gun without trying it out at the range. 1000 people may say this is the perfect gun for you, but you will not know how you like it until you shoot it, holding it is nice, but shooting it is what will tell YOU if it will be a good gun for you.

As luck would have it, there are options, Check out Shore Shot in Lakewood, we as NJGF members get a discount, on rentals, ammo and range time and you can rent multiple guns in the same caliber for the price of renting 1 gun. Something too good to not take advantage of.

GOOD to know! Thanks for the info. How about Brick Armory, any discounts over there? Are the two places similar or is one bigger / better then the other?

P.S. How would "Shore Shot" know that I am a member of NJGF?

GOOD to know! Thanks for the info. How about Brick Armory, any discounts over there? Are the two places similar or is one bigger / better then the other?

P.S. How would "Shore Shot" know that I am a member of NJGF?

Brick Armory = no I don't think so re: discounts

ShoreShot = just tell them you are a member and tell them your forum name

hth

TheWombat