TheWombat

Walther PPQ

MAGFA915 is the Magnum Research model number you want. I just finished an IDPA match with my PPQ using these mags exclusively with zero issues. I'm pretty sure both the Walther and the Magnum Research are made by MecGar in Italy and they just slap a different butt plate on the bottom.

So if you're not obsessed with your magazines saying "PPQ" insteady of "Baby Desert Eagle" you can save some money with zero function impact.

Where are you guys getting your PPQ and out-the-door cost? PM me if you are willing to share the info so we don't offend sponsors/vendors. Heck, if Crimson Trace makes one for this 'll get two (one in .40 for HD). This is going to be a range gun.

Well as tomorrow is the 5 month anniversary of owning my PPQ I thought it was time for an update... specially for Ray Ray who we know secretly wants a PPQ :-)

Overall I've shot over 3500 rounds, it would be higher however a recent overseas vacation and some other purchases and weekend plans have meant limited opportunity to shoot in the 6 weeks. I still believe this is one of the best 9mm striker fired pistols currently available and have a high level of confidence in the PPQ.

Reliability

The only reliability issue I have experienced was during the GFH Low Light 2 course where within a single magazine I had 5 failures (either FTEs or double feeds) which I posted previously and I believe was due to shooting one handed while holding a torch in my mouth. I was unhappy with what happened and subsequently went to the range and shot ~250 rounds one handed without any issues at all, including holster draws, double/triple taps etc. I will therefore put this down to something I did rather than the firearm. Perhaps it was limp wristing or a result of the torch in the mouth?

Ammunition used

The PPQ has devoured all ammunition types I have tried. To date this includes:

• CCI Blazer Brass 9mm Luger: 115gr FMJ (5200)
  • Federal American Eagle 9mm Luger: 124gr FMJ (AE9AP)
  • Federal American Eagle 9mm Luger: 147gr FMJ FP (AE9FP)
  • Federal Classic 9mm Luger: 147gr Hi-Shok JHP (9MS)
  • Remington UMC 9mm Luger: 115gr FMJ (L9MM3)
  • Remington UMC 9mm Luger: 115gr FNEB Leadless (LL9MM11)
  • Remingtron UMC 9mm Luger: 147gr FMJ (L9MM9)
  • Sellier & Bellot 9mm Luger: 115gr FMJ (V310452)
  • Sellier & Bellot 9mm Luger: 124gr FMJ (V310492)
  • Speer Gold Dot 9mm: 124gr +P Hollow Point (23617)
  • Speer Gold Dot LE 9mm: 124gr +P Hollow Point (53617)
  • Speer Lawman 9mm Luger: 115gr FMJ (53615)
  • Speer Lawman 9mm Luger: 124gr FMJ (53616)
  • Speer Lawman 9mm Luger: 124gr TMJ (53651)
  • Speer Lawman 9mm Luger: 147gr TMJ FN (53620)
  • Winchester Ranger 9mm Luger: 124gr FMJ NATO (RA9124N)
  • Winchester USA 9mm Luger: 124gr FMJ NATO (Q4318)

All the above have been shot without issue which includes ~250 hollow points.

Accessories Bought

In terms of accessories purchased, this has included:

• PPQ Blue gun (~$40) - I find it useful to have for certain exercises
  • DeSantis Speed Scabbard holster - my initial leather holster, bought on special offer from Natchez however I dislike it and no longer use it.
  • PJ Holster - cheap Kydex holster that was used at the range and GFH courses before being replaced with a Kaluban Cloak holster
  • Theis Holster - excellent IWB hybrid holster - the standard holster I use if carrying the PPQ. Similar to a Crossbreed SuperTuck
  • Kaluban Cloak holster - good OWB Kydex holster that was made to fit the PPQ & Viridian light/laser. I use it at many of the GFH courses if I am not using the Theis holster.
  • Viridian C5L - a fairly expensive but small green laser/light unit. I am still a little unsure on its reliability however it fits the PPQ well. A firearm mounted light proved very beneficial during the GFH Low Light classes.
  • Trijicon Night Sights - Green/Orange night sights proved themselves during the GFH Low Light classes. I have found that the fit is not perfect, there is a little wobble on the rear sight. This is easily fixed however not what I would expect.
  • Magnum Research magazines - a cheaper 10 and 15 rnd magazines that I use during training classes without any issues.

Use and CCW

The PPQ is my home defense firearm and is kept near/on me when at home together with the Viridian C5L fitted. I am considering buying another PPQ so I have one with and one without the Viridian light for more flexibility, alternatively the HK45 with the Viridian X5Lgen 2 may take residence in my night stand.

Depending on clothing being warn, body size etc then the PPQ can be used as a CCW firearm, albeit some people will find it a little large (it is slightly larger than a Glock 19). I will however be moving to using my Walther PPS as my standard CCW firearm as it is thinner and easier to conceal particularly with Spring/Summer approaching.

In use

The PPQ is light and has a higher bore axis than a Glock 19, therefore the felt recoil is a little more than the comparison Glock or M&P, it is however readily controllable. The two biggest positives of the PPQ are 1) the trigger and 2) the ergonomics.

I believe most people will agree that the trigger is one of the best in a striker fired firearm, the break is clean, the reset is excellent and the weight is not too heavy. The ergonomics will be more subjective however I do find it fits my hand very well. One thing I do find is that the stippling on the grip is too gentle for me, and I would prefer it to be more aggressive particularly when shooting inside or in warmer weather. The replaceable backstraps help in ensuring a suitable fit for the user.

I like the magazine release having readily adapted to it, however it will remain one of the items you either like or hate. I have since purchased a HK45 and a Walther PPS to continue the magazine release theme.

Positives

Trigger

Ergonomics

Less common than Glocks etc

Magazine release - some people will like it

Price - ~$500 for a PPQ, 2x15rnd magazines, magazine loader etc is good value

Negatives

Accessories still limited - e.g. sights however there are many more holsters now available compared to 5 months ago

Magazine price - Walther magazines are over priced, using Magnum Research magazines brings the price down to an acceptable level (~$32 for 15 rnd)

Stippling - a personal thing however I would prefer the stippling to be more aggressive

Magazine release - some people will not like it

MrsWombat thinks it is ugly

Summary

A worthy addition to my growing collection, the PPQ is my go-to gun and I rate it higher than my Ed Brown, HK45 etc. I would rate it 8/10. After 5 months of ownership I have no regrets and continue to take it to the range on a regular basis. All my GFH courses have used the PPQ.

TheWombat

I've just passed 8 months of ownership with the PPQ, during this time the PPQ has attended a number of GunForHire and other classes, has taken on the role as home defense firearm and has been taken to the range on many occasions. The only reason the round count has not increased as much over the last 2-3 months is due to the Walther PPS being purchased and me taking the time to get to know the PPS as it is my day-to-day carry firearm (where legally permitted).

I still think the PPQ is a tremendous firearm and one to put on your shortlist, the trigger remains very good and it has remained very reliable with many brands/weights of FMJ and also with hollow points (predominantly Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P).

The negatives remain as per my 5-month ownership post, namely:

• Accessories still limited - e.g. sights however there are many more holsters now available compared to 8 months ago
  • Magazine price - Walther magazines are over priced, using Magnum Research magazines brings the price down to an acceptable level (~$32 for 15 rnd)
  • Stippling - a personal thing however I would prefer the stippling to be more aggressive. I have currently fitted a LimbSaver to see if it helps me maintain a better grip in the warmer weather - so far it seems to have helped.
  • Magazine release - some people will not like it
  • MrsWombat thinks it is ugly

I would also add that the windage adjustable design of the rear sights could be better. The design results in the rear sights having a very slight 'wobble' when fitting the Trijicon sights. The original plastic sights fit a little tighter. While it doesn't affect accuracy it is noticeable when racking the slide. This 'wobble' has also been noted by other PPQ owners with Trijicons.

The only recent addition to the PPQ is that I've fitted a Sprinco guiderod/spring. This claims to reduce recoil (which is unnecessary in my view) - I can't say I've noticed much difference other than making the slide a little harder to rack. I've only shot 65 rounds with the new guiderod/spring so too early to tell if any reliability issues.

I have also just ordered the BT Guide Rod/Spring for the PPQ and the PPS in order to try these as well. There's no reason to switch from the factory plastic guide rod, it is only that I want to try a couple of metal guide rods out of curiosity.

The Theis IWB holster is good, however typically I'd carry the PPQ OWB for which I have a Kaluban Cloak holster that fits my PPQ and Viridian C5L light. I have also just ordered the Raven Concealment OWB holster for my PPQ (without a light) so will be interesting to compare the Kaluban Cloak to the Raven Concealment.

I have mixed views so far on the Virdian C5L. It fits the PPQ well and is an ideal light/laser combo, however I'm not entirely convinced on the durability of the C5L as it seems to be a little inconsistent in use when switching between the various modes. Considering that this is a replacement C5L as the original C5L had the same inconsistent behavior it leads me to believe there could me a design flaw with the C5L. While I've not put so many rounds through the Viridian X5L Gen 2 I have not had any inconsistencies at all with the X5L G2.

A number of forum members now have PPQs and I believe their feedback has been positive. The PPQ is also proving popular in general with stock availability somewhat limited for new purchasers and the price now having increased.

As this thread now has over 11,000 views there seems to be some ongoing interest in the PPQ :-)

TheWombat

Has anyone seen a 9mm for sale anywhere recently? I haven't seen one in months, even the major internet dealers are out. I have paperwork in and have wanted this gun for a long time and really want it to be my next purchase. Why the long unavailability?

Also to answer the question on long unavailability. I believe it is down to two reasons:

1) the PPQ has become far more popular than Walther were expecting in the US

2) Smith & Wesson are the importers for Walther, however Walther have announced that they are ending this relationship and setting up their own Walther importing organization. It is anticipated that Walther US will begin being the active importer from January.

hth

TheWombat

Just hated the mag release. So uncomfortable for me. Also wanted fewer plastic guns.

Understand fully - switching between my Sig and my Walthers takes a bit to get used to the differing mag releases when I'm at the range. I like both styles but at present my Sig is having a resurgence of use over the PPQ due to me competing at IDPA with the Sig and it also having the .22 conversion.

TheWombat

Heresy, Sacrilege, Blasphemy... I think I don't like you no more! :onthequiet:

TheWombat

Don't be hatin'. The PPQ stayed in the NJGF family. I picked it up from Joe on Thursday, and put 150 rounds down range Thursday night. Very impressed and quite pleased. Love the feel in my hand, and the trigger is awesome.

Don't be hatin'. The PPQ stayed in the NJGF family. I picked it up from Joe on Thursday, and put 150 rounds down range Thursday night. Very impressed and quite pleased. Love the feel in my hand, and the trigger is awesome.

Glad you like it. Its good to know she went to a good home and will be well cared for.

Understand fully - switching between my Sig and my Walthers takes a bit to get used to the differing mag releases when I'm at the range. I like both styles but at present my Sig is having a resurgence of use over the PPQ due to me competing at IDPA with the Sig and it also having the .22 conversion.

Any reason why you are competing with the SIG over the PPQ? Is it because the PPQ is in ESP class?

I do use my PPQ for USPSA Production class. After putting well over 2k rounds thru the PPQ, I do have some quibbles with some of the sharp parts on it.

When I grip the PPQ high, the mag release has a sharp edge that agitate the skin right to the left of my knuckle on my middle finger of my shooting hand. I would consider filing down the sharp edge but I didn't want to weaken the mag release. I assume the bluing would be removed which would also be unsightly.

Also, when I'm just milling about waiting for my turn in a match, I have a habit of just resting my hand on the back of the gun. The back of frame has two sharp contact points that stick out. On my Glock, those points are covered by the slide on the PPQ they are exposed. I've kind of moved my hand away from there now. I just swapped out the stock sights with the Dawson sights. The rear sight on the Dawson is super sharp and has caught my forearm on a few occasions leaving these scratch marks.

Other than that, I've been real happy with the PPQ. The trigger is great. I just wished they created a long barrel/slide version for competition usage. I will be forced to switching over to my Glock for competition soon as my son is interested in competing and he will be using the PPQ.

Has anyone seen a 9mm for sale anywhere recently? I haven't seen one in months, even the major internet dealers are out. I have paperwork in and have wanted this gun for a long time and really want it to be my next purchase. Why the long unavailability?

Forgot to mention that Heritage Guild in Easton had them in stock if you do not want to drive down to South Jersey. They can ship them to the either the Branchburg or Rahway branch for free. You can then do your NICS check there.

Any reason why you are competing with the SIG over the PPQ? Is it because the PPQ is in ESP class?

I do use my PPQ for USPSA Production class. After putting well over 2k rounds thru the PPQ, I do have some quibbles with some of the sharp parts on it.

When I grip the PPQ high, the mag release has a sharp edge that agitate the skin right to the left of my knuckle on my middle finger of my shooting hand. I would consider filing down the sharp edge but I didn't want to weaken the mag release. I assume the bluing would be removed which would also be unsightly.

Also, when I'm just milling about waiting for my turn in a match, I have a habit of just resting my hand on the back of the gun. The back of frame has two sharp contact points that stick out. On my Glock, those points are covered by the slide on the PPQ they are exposed. I've kind of moved my hand away from there now. I just swapped out the stock sights with the Dawson sights. The rear sight on the Dawson is super sharp and has caught my forearm on a few occasions leaving these scratch marks.

Other than that, I've been real happy with the PPQ. The trigger is great. I just wished they created a long barrel/slide version for competition usage. I will be forced to switching over to my Glock for competition soon as my son is interested in competing and he will be using the PPQ.

The reasoning isn't to do with the class (ESP vs SSP), more down to a few other factors:

• The Sig P226 USPSA was my first firearm and bought on the premise I would compete with it. It has the Fiber Optic front sight etc and also has had several $hundred of trigger work. It would be a shame to not compete with it after all that!
  • The PPQ is my HD firearm and I don't want to be loading/unloading the HPs all the time and taking the Viridian light off it etc. At some point MrsWombat will allow me to buy another PPQ perhaps and I'll have one setup for competing (Dawson sight etc) and one for HD (night sights and Viridian light). This may well align timing wise with when Walther USA gets created and S&W no longer are the importers of the PPQ. The PPQ has close to 4000 rounds through it now so is taking a well deserved break :-)
  • Now that my initial exuberance of buying firearms is slowing down, I'm figuring out what my longer term approach is on the handguns. Do I want to have the same style of firearm for Carry, Home Defense and Competing - i.e. similar controls, trigger style etc - even if the actual firearm model could differ.

Overall I remain very happy with the PPQ and the out of the box trigger experience. Accessory choice is improving (e.g. Dawson are now offering sights). While I would prefer the slightly lower bore axis of the M&P or Glock, I think the PPQ is a tremendous firearm.

I've not found much in the way of sharp edges however this could just come down to different grip, stance etc and I typically don't rest my hand on the back of the firearm.

TheWombat