TheWombat

Walther PPQ

I would not be getting the Walther in 40 S&W. if anything like the P99, it will suck. (Ie recoil worse than glock.)

agreed, I'd recommend the PPQ in 9mm rather than .40

I'll be using the PPQ at a GFH Urban Pistol course tomorrow and likely be putting 600+ rounds through it during the day, so am fast approaching 3000 rounds in total.

TheWombat

I picked up a Viridian C5L light/laser unit to try. (Apologies for poor quality pictures, if I get time I will retake with better light/quality - however you can also just google for better quality pictures).

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

BEAM INTENSITY/WAVELENGTH: 5mW peak, 532nm, Class IIIa, Continuous Wave

LASER BEAM DIVERGENCE/SPOT SIZE/RANGE: 1.2 mrad, approx. 0.5" diameter at 50 feet, Range up to 100 yards daylight, 2 miles at night

DIMENSIONS/WEIGHT/CONSTRUCTION: 1.900"L x 1.460"H x 1.310"W, 2.344 oz. (including battery), Primarily 6061 Aircraft Grade Aluminum, front and rear covers in high strength Zytel polymer

USER ADJUSTABLE: Full windage and elevation on laser

POWER SOURCE/BATTERY LIFE: One CR2 3V lithium (included); 4+ hours laser (constant), 7+ hours (pulsing), 1+ hour (tac light and laser)

INSTALLATION: Slides onto tactical rail and locks into place by means of included Mounting Screw.

ACTIVATION AND MODES: Ambidextrous with SMARTLASER Technology, constant beam and multiple pulsing modes

INCLUDED WITH YOUR VIRIDIAN GREEN LASER:CR2 Battery, 3 Unique Rail Sets, 1 Rail Set Pin Removal Tool, 2 Adjustment Wrenches, 2 Mounting Screws, Operator's Manual, Demo DVD

PHOTOS

note: Photos updated to now use the correct R1 Rail Adaptor rather than the R2 Rail Adaptor. The aesthetics are improved.

• The R1 Rail Adaptor also fits the Springfield XD/XDM and the S&W M&P.
  • The R2 Rail Adaptor fits Glocks and also standard Picatinny (hence why it also works on the PPQ)
  • The R3 Rail Adaptor fits many Taurus models
  • Other adaptors are available for HK USP, S&W Sigma etc.

PPQwithViridianC5L-g.jpg

PPQwithViridianC5L-h.jpg

PPQwithViridianC5L-i.jpg

PPQwithViridianC5L-j.jpg

PPQwithViridianC5L-k.jpg

PPQwithViridianC5L-l.jpg

PPQwithViridianC5L-m.jpg

I like that it has a green laser, and the laser is very easy to visually see at any normal distance, even in daylight. It has ambidextrous controls for on/off which allows the user to use their weak hand thumb or finger to switch the device on. The C5L will remember the last mode used.

It has a variety of modes that can be cycled through by pressing both on/off switches simultaneously and includes. laser only, laser/light, laser/light strobe, laser strobe etc. The laser is adjustable for windage and elevation and the C5L fits almost all firearms - you can check out the Viridian Fit Chart here http://www.viridiang...ducts/fitchart/. I am still playing with the various fitting adapters to see which one works best with the PPQ.

My main dislike about the C5L is the battery cover. It is metal, yet the housing you screw it into has a plastic thread and it is very easy to damage the thread. You can see from the photos that the battery housing has marks on it, and this is from limited use. The C5L adds some width to the firearm as shown in the photos above, this won't be an issue for home defense however it would be more of a concern for carrying. Viridian also sell the X5L Gen 2, which is brighter and slightly longer and thinner.

On the plus side, Viridian customer service is amazingly good, and they are replacing this unit with a brand new one.

note: I just attended a Force on Force training course, and some scenarios were limited light (not dark). While all students had either weapons lights or flashlights not one of the students used them. It is clear that just owning a light is not sufficient and it needs to be included in a training regime to make using the light instinctive/appropriate.

hth

TheWombat

Edited by TheWombat

Nice! We got to play with their units(giggity) in Vegas. Very well built. They should be building a PPQ holster like the one currently out for Glock, M&P, XD that shuts the laser off when you holster, and automatically turns it on when you draw. Really cool setup.

Wombat, the laser comes with smaller rails that might fit better. You can swap them out with the tool that's included.

Agreed, I just haven't had the time yet to try the different sets to see which are the best fit. At least one of the other pairs fits, it is then just a question of whether it aligns well for the 'holding screw'. Will have a play with it during the week

TheWombat

edit: Photos now updated with the correct rail adaptor

Edited by TheWombat

quick question... i also just purchased a PPQ.

- where did you get the tritium night sights? - The PPQ uses the same sights as the P99. So you can either fit Meprolights or Trijicon. I use Trijicon (WP01) which you can find at most places including Amazon etc for around $80-$90. They are very easy to fit on your own with no need for a sight pusher. Check out the sticky thread on the Walther Forum http://www.waltherfo...mendations.html

- where is the RTSP range? - Near Randolph on Route 10 - check out http://www.rtsponline.com/

Thanks everyone!

See above in red.

For the Trijicons there are 3 options:

WP01 - green

WP01O - green front, orange rear

WP01Y - green front, yellow rear

Just Google and you'll see they are readily available at most places.

We're seeing more and more holster options appearing, and the PPQ is becoming more and more popular so we should continue to see more accessories becoming available.

hth

TheWombat

Thanks ! i feel silly because just after i asked i found the answer on the interwebs.

Are there any outdoor ranges that people recommend?

I might go to RTSP to fire my PPQ for the first time... or possibly the bullet hole. I LOVE teh gun for hire guys and HIGHLY recommend taking the " home invasion sims class" it will change your whole perspective on home defense and how you will react in a live situation. I think that class should be mandatory for anyone who wants a gun for home defense.

Anyway, thoughts on outdoor ranges?

I was at the bullet hole a few weeks back and actually saw a group of idiots shooting a glock and one of them pointed it at his eye to look to see if it was out of bullets. it had one more in the chamber and luckily he didn't shoot himself in the head..

anyway. Im hoping to find a good range close to maplewood...... or to be honest i would even drive to Pennsylvania ....

I would love to find a steel target range...

Probably best to read the threads/posts on the Range and other sub-forums on NJGunForum. You'll see quite a few posts on Cherry Ridge, Range 14, OBRPC, CJRPC etc all of which are outdoor ranges (and some also have indoor as well).

hth

TheWombat

I have the DeSantis and didn't think it was all that good. Take a look at the sticky thread on holsters on the walther forum (PPQ sub forum) and you'll see I have reviewed the DeSantis, PJHolster and Theis holster. Within the next 2 weeks I will also be reviewing the Kaluban Cloak holster (similar to the Raven Concealment holster although without the 6 month wait)

Others have reviewed other holsters on the same thread of the Walther PPQ forum.

Note that most P99 holsters will not fit the PPQ. It is only the sights that are interchangeable.

TheWombat

I'm still looking to buy my first handgun. I have decided on a 9 mm, and PPQ is certainly one of the leading contenders. I went to Ramsey in Succasunna to hold a few different guns, including a Walther P99, Glock G19 Gen 3 & Gen 4, Glock G17, and Beretta PX4 storm. The Walther felt the nicest in my hand. I am assuming the ergonomics of the PPQ are pretty close to the P99.

So, long-winded way of saying this is how the PPQ has now become something I am seriously considering.

Since these are fairly new, I assume there are not a lot of used ones out there, unlike Glocks?

I'm still looking to buy my first handgun. I have decided on a 9 mm, and PPQ is certainly one of the leading contenders. I went to Ramsey in Succasunna to hold a few different guns, including a Walther P99, Glock G19 Gen 3 & Gen 4, Glock G17, and Beretta PX4 storm. The Walther felt the nicest in my hand. I am assuming the ergonomics of the PPQ are pretty close to the P99.

So, long-winded way of saying this is how the PPQ has now become something I am seriously considering.

Since these are fairly new, I assume there are not a lot of used ones out there, unlike Glocks?

PPQ ergonomics are one generation better than the P99 in my view. There are very few used ones around although likely to be very rare. There was one person on the Walther PPQ forum selling a used one (after he had bought an additional PPQ which was a First Edition model). As you can buy new PPQs for between $485 and $525 at present I'm not sure you're going to find a used PPQ that is significantly cheaper than that.

TheWombat

PPQ ergonomics are one generation better than the P99 in my view. There are very few used ones around although likely to be very rare. There was one person on the Walther PPQ forum selling a used one (after he had bought an additional PPQ which was a First Edition model). As you can buy new PPQs for between $485 and $525 at present I'm not sure you're going to find a used PPQ that is significantly cheaper than that.

TheWombat

Thanks. Are those internet prices, like Jet Guns or Bud's?

Jet Guns is currently $482 (http://www.jetguns.com/walther-ppq-9mm-41-synth-grip-15r-p-21330.html) however it sells out quickly (they are currently sold out). I expect they'll get some more stock very soon. If looking to buy over the Internet then browse the Walther PPQ forum as forum members are usually posting where to buy and their feedback on service. JetGuns has a good reputation from the forum. As I'm not actively looking to buy, since I already own, I'm not following the threads so much. There is also a First Edition model that has a threaded barrel, proper nights sights and a 15rnd and 17 rnd magazine for around $674 to $750. The 17 rnd magazine would need to be pinned for NJ obviously! The First Editions are often out of stock due to popularity so you'd need to phone around and keep a close eye out. I know GandRTactical just got another batch in however they are already sold out.

I also suggest contacting the local vendors such as Arms-n-Ammo (PK90) by submitting a price request via the forum as the local vendors may be fairly close in price and I'm all for supporting the local vendors where possible. I know PK90 has a PPQ in stock as I was down there recently.

hth

TheWombat

I may be at RTSP this Saturday morning, I'll post on the forum Events/Meetups nearer the time. If I'm there you are welcome to try my PPQ.

TheWombat

Hi folks

Here's another video review for those interested. This one is for the First Edition with threaded barrel and night sights.

I'll be getting the standard one in 9mm once my permit comes in and selected a custom kydex holster from pjholster.com. Paul was really nice and worked to help me decide if I should get it molded with or without the TLR-1 on there (he can do this for most guns). We decided without b/c it came back pretty loose if I ever wanted to use the holster without the light on the gun. As has been said, WaltherForums has some great conversations on this gun and Wombat also represents over there!

I'll post pics as soon as everything comes in. Ordering some of the Magnum Research mags today and hoping to get setup for USPSA sometime in March/April. I know I won't be able to compete with the ppl that have true target guns, but I think it'll be fun just to track my progress and train/compete in a more practical environment than standing in a port.

Hi folks

Here's another video review for those interested. This one is for the First Edition with threaded barrel and night sights.

I'll be getting the standard one in 9mm once my permit comes in and selected a custom kydex holster from pjholster.com. Paul was really nice and worked to help me decide if I should get it molded with or without the TLR-1 on there (he can do this for most guns). We decided without b/c it came back pretty loose if I ever wanted to use the holster without the light on the gun. As has been said, WaltherForums has some great conversations on this gun and Wombat also represents over there!

I'll post pics as soon as everything comes in. Ordering some of the Magnum Research mags today and hoping to get setup for USPSA sometime in March/April. I know I won't be able to compete with the ppl that have true target guns, but I think it'll be fun just to track my progress and train/compete in a more practical environment than standing in a port.

Just a quick FYI, this gun is not yet USPSA Production legal. In fact, my conversations with S&W, they did not really care about it.

Secondly, in the production division, you are not competing against people with target built guns, for the most part, they are as factory guns as you can get. The only modifications allowed are internal, so you will have some people who do trigger work, and put some grip tape on the grip of the gun.

There are very very very very few people at most local matches who can honestly say the gun is holding them back.

While posted separately re: the Kaluban Cloak I'll summarise here re: holsters for those with a PPQ

• PJHolster OWB - kydex, good for the range, $40 inc delivery
  • Kaluban Cloak OWB - kydex, very good for general use, also supports many laser/light units and also retains the PPQ while the light is not fitted. ~$80+delivery
  • Theis IWB - horsehide/kydex hybrid (similar to crossbreed supertuck), $65 inc delivery

hth

TheWombat