John Boy

Stepping Back into Time ...

Gentlemen, black powder 22 rimfire factory ammunition has not been available since the 1930's. So, 4 of us shooters in the US have Stepped Back into Time reloading 22LR rounds:

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=130946

For those that are interested in more of this 22LR BP project including how to and target examples, read these threads ...

http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/in...p?topic=8512.0

http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/in...p?topic=8631.0

http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/in...p?topic=8762.0

Here's a couple pictures that are in the thread. The bullets are copies of the old UMC's ...

138989362.jpg

138993218.jpg

Still doesn't answer my question. Wtf is the point?

WTF is the point of shooting odd calibers? WTF is the point of shooting 50 BMG? WTF is the point of putting holes in cardboard targets every weekend spending untold dollars in ammunition and gizmos? WTF is the point of mall ninjas?

Geez - next you'll ask what the meaning of life is...

• Like 1

:facepalm: You're not understanding my question.

What does this stuff do that commercially available match .22 doesn't? Most of us load our own ammo to make higher quality ammo for cheap. The time one needs to put in for this black powder 22 ammo is incredible, and in the long run buying commercial ammo appears to be cheaper. I say again... what is the point?

• Like 1

cowboy? where period accurate ammunition may be a requirement?

Black powder cartridge silhouette. To shoot it with .22, since there is no black powder .22 factory ammo, you must reload.

Now was that so hard? This answers my question, thank you. Jeez..

• Like 1

The time one needs to put in for this black powder 22 ammo is incredible

Not true. I and the other few individuals can load 50 rounds as fast as any lead bullet reloader does using a single stage press for center fire smokeless reloads:

* Loading Tray - Winchester 209 primer tray or one drilled with a 1/4" Forstner bit with a scrap piece of Trek

* Powder Charger - any that will drop 4.5g of powder accurately

* Lee 3 Hole Turret - With the Lee Universal Expander and a CH4D shell holder/seating die

* The Lyman H&I Lube Sizer - with the 0.225 die - insert bullet nose down to finish the crimp

Done

I say again... what is the point?

1. As said - Stepping Back into Time, because black powder 22 rimfire ammunition has not been made since the 1930's

2. There are smokeless and black powder reloaders - I am a 98% BPCR reloader and shooter. There are no BPC 22 rounds that can be purchased

3. Loading these rounds is no different than loading any nitro based powder rounds for any caliber or firearm type

4. The rounds are as accurate as quality production 22LR ammunition with a comparable 1050 nominal fps velocity

5. Historic Nostalgia ...My 1884 No 3 JM Marlin Ballard rifle, a black powder gallery rifle, hasn't shot an original gunpowder round in eons

As glennp said ... Black powder cartridge silhouette. To shoot it with .22, since there is no black powder .22 factory ammo, you must reload.

I am a silhouette match shooter, both single shot and lever rifles. There are no words in the NRA 22 lever action silhouette rules that say I can't shoot original gunpowder rounds :icon_e_wink: And it's enjoyable to see the look on the faces of smokeless powder shooters at the firing line :scare::hunter:

Now was that so hard? This answers my question, thank you. Jeez..

It's the same point as someone putting 100 pieces of plastic crap on their AR. It's their gun, they can do whatever the fack they want.

So to answer your question is a super simple way, because he can. That's all you really need to know.

• Like 1

The way I understood Jon's initial question wasn't that he was questioning the "why" of the process, but simply what would be the end result of the process, which was eventually answered. It was a fact finding quest, and not a questioning-of-one's choices-quest. It's the internet though, and people are either thin-skinned and/or words rarely have the ability to convey emotion.

He purchased new armscore cases. They are not reprimed, they are new never fired primed cases although I have heard of at least one person sucessfully using a strike anywhere match head paste to fire.

Just read the link he provided

When I was a kid (many, many years ago), I used match head powder for the primer and the main charge. That stuff would rust the barrel just like black powder.

The way I understood Jon's initial question wasn't that he was questioning the "why" of the process, but simply what would be the end result of the process, which was eventually answered. It was a fact finding quest, and not a questioning-of-one's choices-quest. It's the internet though, and people are either thin-skinned and/or words rarely have the ability to convey emotion.

As always, you are correct Ben. My question is what does home-made black powder ammunition do that can't be accomplished with what appears to be cheaper factory ammo. If you just want to be able to say "I shoot black powder .22s" then ok, fine... I just don't understand the point when all it does is foul up the gun far quicker than traditional stuff, and does not appear to be any more accurate.

I had never heard of this BPCS stuff until it was mentioned in this thread, and if that is the purpose for making the ammo, more power to ya.

I just don't understand the point when all it does is foul up the gun far quicker than traditional stuff, and does not appear to be any more accurate.

j0n, Targets Don't Lie ... did you look at any of the targets on the link threads? Anyway, here's one from a NRA top ranked BPCR match shooter in Illinois. Be sure to expand the target jpg and look at the group marked - No Wipe (3 left vertical targets marked BP) and then compare to the top 3 targets using Wolf rounds

http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww43/Kurtalt/IMG_1492.jpg

PS: 'Traditional stuff' is gunpowder, aka black powder ... not nitro based powders! ;)

j0n, let me also try to dispel your conjecture about black powder fouling a firearm and effect on accuracy.

Was shooting the new 2010 lot of KIK at Ridgway Rifle Range this May: I shot 10 rounds of 38-55 over the chronograph using a HiWall. Then I shot the remaining 40 rounds from the Rams (500 meters) to the Chickens (200 meters) with previous settings on the rifle from last year. No change needed for the settings and the load performed with excellent accuracy

I did not blow tube or wipe the bore shooting the 50 rounds! There was absolutely no degradation in accuracy. Here's the patches: 1 wet with water and remainders dry ...

DSC00399.jpg