zoid

What's the benefit of cleaning primer pockets?

I've seen some people de-prime (write term?) their brass prior to

cleaning/tumbling so the primer pocket is clean. What is the benefit

of doing this?

I'm a bit of a whiner as it is when it comes to reloading so any extra

work I will complain. Just wondering why it may be worth the extra work.

I've seen some people de-prime (write term?) their brass prior to

cleaning/tumbling so the primer pocket is clean. What is the benefit

of doing this?

I'm a bit of a whiner as it is when it comes to reloading so any extra

work I will complain. Just wondering why it may be worth the extra work.

I don't clean primer pockets of handgun brass unless they are particularly cruddy (muddy range pickups)

I clean my 100-200-300yd .223 match brass primer pockets

I uniform my 600yd brass primer pockets

Slam fires due to high primers in a match are a real biotch!

It insures that the primer seats correctly and that nothing obstructs the flash hole (like primer residue from the old primer.) Even if you do not deprime (right term :icon_rolleyes: ) before tumbling there are small tools to clean the primer pocket that should be used. The one problem that can arise by depriming prior to tumbling, is that tumbling media can become lodged in the primer pocket. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Bob nailed it on the head, but for some of us there is an additional reason too.

If you use a wet system for cleaning brass (i.e. a tumbler with stainless steel media), then it greatly speeds up the drying time.

I do everything possible to my rifle brass. I am an OCD reloading maniac. I want to ensure when I am shooting that a bad shot is exactly that, a bad shot. I want to eliminate the "bad round" factor. All brass is annealed, neck turned, flash holes uniformed and deburred, and primer pockets uniformed and reamed. I then weigh the brass and sort by headstamp and weight. If you are making plinking rounds I am sure there wont be much of a difference, but for me it is all about consistancy. You will be amazed what "match" ammo does compared to just bang reloads.

I do everything possible to my rifle brass. I am an OCD reloading maniac. I want to ensure when I am shooting that a bad shot is exactly that, a bad shot. I want to eliminate the "bad round" factor. All brass is annealed, neck turned, flash holes uniformed and deburred, and primer pockets uniformed and reamed. I then weigh the brass and sort by headstamp and weight. If you are making plinking rounds I am sure there wont be much of a difference, but for me it is all about consistancy. You will be amazed what "match" ammo does compared to just bang reloads.

The groups you shoot stand in testimony to the above. :good:

I used to de-prime my brass before tumbling. Then I found out that the primer pocket didn't get cleaned during tumbling anyway, and even worse I had to pick media out of the flash holes of about 50% or more of the cases. I've since stopped de-priming first. Now I don't even bother cleaning pistol primer pockets, and rifle I'll clean with a primer pocket cleaner on a screwdriver handle (from RCBS). If I used a wet cleaning system then I'd probably do differently.

• Like 1

As mentioned if you tumble wet with SS media not having the primers in helps speed up the drying process, as well as removing all the garbage that may cause a improper seat of the new primer.

I also like the added step of inspecting the bras prior to and after cleaning as an additional safeguard, not that it's needed but It makes me feel better.

As mentioned if you tumble wet with SS media not having the primers in helps speed up the drying process, as well as removing all the garbage that may cause a improper seat of the new primer.

I also like the added step of inspecting the bras prior to and after cleaning as an additional safeguard, not that it's needed but It makes me feel better.

Inspecting bras makes me feel better too

• Like 2

One of, if not the only, benefit of cleaning the primer pockets of straight wall pistol ammo is to cause cleaning media to get jammed in the primer pocket or flash hole and be a pain in the a**.

Used to strange speak I am. Greek to me this is.

+1

And if you want a fast case drying process for wet brass, here's my 2 Minute procedure ...

http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=7653.msg56565;