Bob B

Idea for a New Board

I had an idea for a board in the “In the Community” section titled “Made in America”.

The idea is that if someone is looking for a product, they can start a thread and people can respond with suggestions about where you can get one that is made in America, who the manufacturer is, what the quality is, price, personal experience, etc. For example, someone might be interested in an ATV. Which ones are made in America and how do they compare with their foreign made counterparts? There are sure to be a few people on the board with some helpful knowledge.

Also, if someone comes across something good that is made in America that hasn't been posted yet, they could go ahead and start a thread.

The most interesting items could be made into stickies.

I came up with the idea after I bought something for my son today for xmas. I walked away thinking, dang I wish I knew where to get something like this that is made in America.

I know it won't be easy, because it seems that everything is imported these days, but over time, we would probably have a decent list.

What do you think?

Maks, if this strays too far from the purpose of NJGF, I'll understand.

I remember a news story on a family who tried living a whole year eating stuff grown in the US, and buying only american products to use in their household. I think they gave up after a while.

oh, and btw, there's a website for what you want to accomplish:

http://americansworking.com/

It's a commendable idea, however I can see it now. Sad to say, the list will be short. We all know that. Secondly, you'll get into the symantics of defining "Made in America". What do you mean by that? Does it mean absolutely everything (parts, labor, supplies) were made in America? Does it mean parts could have been made anywhere, but the product was assembled in America?

Our family has been on that bandwagon for years and it is suprisingly difficult to find born & made in the USA outside of the food industry which of course has its large share of imports too. However the need to be fiscally practical comes to play such as %80 off at Kohls! Also we may see made in Canada and out of exhasperation we say close enough! But we do try as best we can.

Nice Idea and I support it but here is something to think about, I am down to 2 Harley's.

1 is an 1983 kick only Shovel that's for the most part pretty close to a USA made bike even though there are a lot of off shore pars on her from the factory.

My other Harley, is a 2008 Ultra, nice Bark-a-glide and you would think another fine example of US made motorcycle,well you would be a little off on that. Actually from the last I heard was the HONDA Goldwing has more US company made parts and is made here in the USA, so the old buy an American company first and your supporting US workers and industry. Well in this example, you would probably do more to support more American workers and factories if you bought the Honda.

i think this is a great idea too. i have been buying american as much as posable for a few years and i will admit it is almoast impossable it still makes me sleep a little better knowing that i try to support the usa work force every chance i get even if i have to spend a few more bucks.

Henry Repeating Arms makes all their firearms 100% in the USA :icon_mrgreen:

Allot of companies make their product in the USA. Ask Henry Repeating Arms where the componants of their products are made. If that's the USA, now we've got something to salute.

Allot of companies make their product in the USA. Ask Henry Repeating Arms where the componants of their products are made. If that's the USA, now we've got something to salute.

Well the receivers and other parts that need to be cast are done in our factory in Wisconsin and the barrels and rest of the parts are machined and assemble right downstairs from me right here in Bayonne NJ. I guess you could argue that NJ isn't really part of the U.S.A. though :icon_mrgreen:

Well the receivers and other parts that need to be cast are done in our factory in Wisconsin and the barrels and rest of the parts are machined and assemble right downstairs from me right here in Bayonne NJ. I guess you could argue that NJ isn't really part of the U.S.A. though :icon_mrgreen:

:icon_lol:

There are many Americans employed transporting, processing, and selling imported goods. And let's face it, people want the best value for their dollar and these days, that means goods manufactured in countries without onerous labor restrictions like minimum wage or unions.

Anyway my point is that buying imported stuff doesn't mean you're not supporting American labor.

There are many Americans employed transporting, processing, and selling imported goods. And let's face it, people want the best value for their dollar and these days, that means goods manufactured in countries without onerous labor restrictions like minimum wage or unions.

Anyway my point is that buying imported stuff doesn't mean you're not supporting American labor.

Exactly my point, that's what I'm questioning the definition of the proposed "Made in America" section.

I like it. I think it would be a good idea, if you know about a product, to post about it. Then people can make up their own minds. For instance, x amount of this is made in the USA, except for this piece, but it is assembled here by craftsmen... Etc something along those lines.

Yeah. New balance shoes are made in new England. I'm pretty sure union made also. Redwings were very well made boots. Now the foreign made ones are glued together like the rest of em. The American made ones are still stitch and yeah you pay more but the quality is better and you helping an American feed his family.